Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Kayaker trapped on island by large croc....

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:19 PM
  • 22 Replies

Holy shit, it must be large reptile day in the news. I know what I'm going to be having nightmares about tonight!

My only question is, what happened to the boat that dropped him off on this island? Do they not have some kind of procedure in place to make sure people they just dump off like that actually make it back to shore?

'Very, very, very large' crocodile traps tourist for two weeks on Australian island

Winfried Wisniewski / dpa via AP Images, file

A saltwater crocodile similar to this one, held a New Zealand tourist hostage on a small Australian island.

By Henry Austin, NBC News contributor

A kayaker from New Zealand was rescued from an island off the Australian coast Tuesday after being stalked by a "very, very, very large" crocodile for more than two weeks.

Ryan Blair became trapped on the remote Governor Island in Western Australia after he had been dropped off by a boat to explore the area in his kayak, according to Australia's, ABC News.

When the New Zealander realized that his supplies of food and water were insufficient, he tried to paddle nearly thee miles back to the mainland - but immediately caught the eye of the 20 foot saltwater crocodile.

Each time he tried to swim from the island, the creature would make its presence felt, leaving the adventurer stranded for more than two weeks.

"He was about four meters away from me and I thought, ‘this is it,'" the 37-year-old told Australia's 9news. "It was so close and if this croc wanted take a bite out of me if he felt the need to. I was scared for my life. I was hard core praying for God to save me."

Blair tried to attract passing aircraft and boats by flashing a mirror and lighting a small fire. His efforts were unsuccessful until he was eventually spotted by boatman Don MacLeod from the small nearby town of Kalumburu.

MacLeod said the crocodile was "very, very, very large," one of the biggest he'd seen in the area.

"One day he just happened to surface alongside me as I was going past and my boat's 20 foot long so he was well up towards the 20-foot mark," he told Australian broadcaster ABC. "I've seen him several times actually going by quite fast."

MacLeod added that the unfortunate explorer was recovering after his rescue, although he given Blair a cold beer to get over his ordeal "which was probably the wrong thing to do" because he promptly fell asleep.

"He is a very lucky man," MacLeod said. 

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I read this story in my newspaper. My first thought was "how freaking cool" My second thought was"Holy Bats^$t, 2 weeks?" The longer I thought about it the worse it got. Mind you I am a reptile lover but damn!!

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM
2 moms liked this

always carry a gun with you if you are going to be exploring alone. 

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM

very scary..poor guy

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Don't ya think it would have taken more than "a" beer?

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Very scary. Wait for the movie.

My DH had an encounter with a gator from his kayak. He won't sleep for days if he sees a movie like this. Muhahahhaa.

Rebecca7708
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:42 PM
No. The man had a very small amount of supplies, so he probably hadn't eaten for almost that whole time, and it's also very likely he was severely dehydrated.

Quoting dawnie1:

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Sorry, I was kidding.

Quoting Rebecca7708:

No. The man had a very small amount of supplies, so he probably hadn't eaten for almost that whole time, and it's also very likely he was severely dehydrated.

Quoting dawnie1:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Guns are not allowed in most places on the planet-

opal10161973
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I would need a beer after that too.  DAMN.  LOL

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM

2 weeks is a damn long time to be stalked by that creature.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN