Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

White Greeters Only Requested by Church Because 'First Impressions Matter'

Posted by   + Show Post

White Greeters Only Requested by Church Because 'First Impressions Matter'

by Julie Ryan Evans

white only greetersUnbelievable pretty much sums up an email sent by a pastor of a North Carolina church who recently asked that only white people be allowed to act as greeters at the front doors. According to UPI, Pastor Makeda Pennycooke stated that "first impressions matter," and that Freedom House Church wants "the best of the best on the front doors."

"So we would like to ask that only white people be on the front doors."

Is your mouth hanging open, aghast at this blatant racism? Mine still is. Now, it should be noted that Pennycooke is black, and her directive was an attempt to "bring our racial demographic pendulum back to mid-line," but still. There's really nothing that could make this request even remotely okay, no matter who made it.

It's racism plain and simple, no matter what color the pastor's skin, and how incredibly offensive to all members of that church. Carmen Thomas, who previously belonged to the church for two years, quit after seeing the email from the pastor. She told WBTV that she's appalled that someone would try to use deception to bring people to church.

You don't put icing on a chocolate and think that you're eating vanilla. It doesn't make sense. You still know it's chocolate. You still know you're eating a chocolate cake.

Pennycooke and other church officials have since apologized, calling it a lapse in judgment. They told the station, "The pastors have been meeting with staff and church members to confirm their commitment to diversity and to ensure nothing like this happens again." 

At least they realize it was wrong, but nothing can change the fact that it was put out there. I can't imagine attending a church led by someone who has expressed such ugliness.

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

What do you think of this pastor's request?

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
LNLMommy
by Queen K on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I can understand that. Thanks for answering! I have felt the same way before. 

Quoting SherryBerry106:

I'm comfortable.

It is simply a matter of commonallity.

People naturally gravitate to people that are like them.

We talk about the same things, same experiences.

You seem like a very nice person, I'd probably like you just fine.

We probably simply don't have much in common.

Quoting LNLMommy:

are you not comfortable about black people? I understand if you don't want to answer..I'm just inquiring

Quoting SherryBerry106:

Yes
Quoting LNLMommy:

Interesting..so if you go in and see more black faces than whites-would you leave?

Quoting SherryBerry106:

I don't like the deception part, if you are going to go inside and it be black, then the white greeter is false advertising.

lga1965
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this
this:

Quoting MomTiara19:

I think people put way to much emphasis and stereotypes on race.The most important impression of a church is its pastor ...not its greeters.

From this article my impression is the pastor and church is not of true christianity.God loves all races...not just the ones this pastor thinks makes a good impression.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama2JoshKatie
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I don't think the pastor is racist, unless he actually hates his own race, but he was wrong. I can kinda see why (because he wanted to encourage white people to come, which is a sad statement about society in general) but that doesn't make it right.

If I walked into an all black church I would be uncomfortable. I don't have a problem with black people at all, I just don't like feeling like the odd man out. I don't like feeling like I stick out like a sore thumb or that people might not accept me because I'm the different one. I'd feel the same way if I walked into a room full of men or a room full of old people or a room full of teenagers.

Maybe the pastor was trying to alleviate feelings like that in his church but he certainly did go about it the wrong way.

tanyainmizzou
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I went to a black service once.  I wasn't comfortable because of the style of the service.   I grew up in a very High Anglican style Episcopalian church and the music and clapping and dance just threw me for a loop.

I felt totally out of place there because I crossed myself in front of the altar waiting for communion.  And then communion was grape juice and bread.  Totally not what I believe to be the correct thing.

It was just too noisy and busy for me.

jllcali
by Jane on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:11 PM
O.o
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

I went to a black service once.  I wasn't comfortable because of the style of the service.   I grew up in a very High Anglican style Episcopalian church and the music and clapping and dance just threw me for a loop.

I felt totally out of place there because I crossed myself in front of the altar waiting for communion.  And then communion was grape juice and bread.  Totally not what I believe to be the correct thing.

This is not all black churches,

I have been to  a few churches and have never been given grape juice and bread...sounds ...weird to me

stormcris
by Christy on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM

WTF...and people wonder why many decide not to attend church. It is not so much religion that is evil it is the people who twist it that are. 

stormcris
by Christy on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM

What do you believe the correct sacrament for communion is?

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sure someone is going to get offended when I say this, but oh well. I really dislike Southern Baptist churches. I find them too rigid all the way around. 

Quoting LNLMommy:

I lived in a tiny Georgia town my junior year of high school with my sis and bil. We would attend service at this Southern Baptist church that was mostly white and the service  was very stiff to me. When I got to my now church and  saw people of every color praising and worshipping, it's just really inspiring to me. I love praise and worship time!

Quoting cjsbmom:

One of the best worship experiences I ever had was in a small rural church in Georgia when I was visiting there 15 or so years ago. The congregation was mostly  black, but that sort of thing doesn't scare me the way it does some people. It was such a refreshing experience because it was so unlike anything I was used to at my home church. Those people new how to praise the Lord! I couldn't help but dance and bounce around while I sang the worship songs, just like everyone else. If I ever acted like that in my home church, the people would think I was either nuts or disrespectful (or both). 

It's one of those experiences I've treasured all this time. But not all white people are able to move outside their comfort zones and miss out on a lot of positive experiences. Thankfully, I'm not one of them. ;)

Quoting LNLMommy:

aww man..this is my home state..LOL.. but it's true. Sunday mornings are the most segregated times in the South due to white churches and black churches. I'm glad my church is truly multicultural. 

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Not surprised, it's North Carolina.  Sad, but not surprised.  There is still a lot of racism in the South.

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:55 PM

So speaketh the close minded bigot. 'Cause God knows white folks and black folks have nuthin' in common!

UNREAL.

Quoting SherryBerry106:

I'm comfortable.

It is simply a matter of commonallity.

People naturally gravitate to people that are like them.

We talk about the same things, same experiences.

You seem like a very nice person, I'd probably like you just fine.

We probably simply don't have much in common.

Quoting LNLMommy:

are you not comfortable about black people? I understand if you don't want to answer..I'm just inquiring

Quoting SherryBerry106:

Yes
Quoting LNLMommy:

Interesting..so if you go in and see more black faces than whites-would you leave?

Quoting SherryBerry106:

I don't like the deception part, if you are going to go inside and it be black, then the white greeter is false advertising.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN