Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Yes For Military Strike On Syria

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM
  • 68 Replies
Senate committee authorizes limited military response in SyriaBy Kasie Hunt and Erin McClam, NBC News The Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Wednesday voted to give President Barack Obama the power to a launch a military attack to punish Syria for using chemical weapons. The vote was 10-7. It marked the first time in more than a decade — since a 2002 resolution that preceded the Iraq war — that members of Congress have voted to authorize military action. The resolution, which could be voted on by the full Senate as early as next week, forbids Obama from using ground troops in Syria and allows the military response to last no longer than three months. The yes votes comprised seven Democrats and three Republicans, including Sen. John McCain, who had expressed reservations that the United States was not doing enough to arm the rebels fighting Syrian leader Bashar Assad.
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Just saw this on Reuters.

Still don't know what to think.

LadyVoldemort
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Me either

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Just saw this on Reuters.

Still don't know what to think.

stormcris
by Christy on Sep. 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmmmm we will see what this does

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM

:(

KenneMaw
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM
3 moms liked this

That just made my blood run cold.   I would like to see someone present a solid case for this action.   The majority in the US don't support it and neither does the world community, even though Russia may be easing their stance.   I get that 90% of the worlds countries agreed to never use chemical weapons, but why do WE have to be the ones to take action.  Shouldn't another Middle EAstern country deal with their neighbors???????????   Yes, innnocient children have died, but can your military, who I whole-heartedly support, guarrantee that our missile strikes will not kill more people or will they just be war casualities????  Too many questions, not enough answers.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Ok, what does that mean? The foreign relations committee approves, but does that count as any type of authorization?
MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 4:39 PM
2 moms liked this

I hate this.

I feel like I"m being forced to put my trust in people who, frankly, have not earned it.

LadyVoldemort
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM
No authorization until the full senate hears it I think.

Quoting stringtheory:

Ok, what does that mean? The foreign relations committee approves, but does that count as any type of authorization?

krysstizzle
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Oh shit. Here we go. 

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 4:46 PM
So, thus far, we have 10 out of 100 certain yesses for the Senate. Gotcha. I'm not holding my breath yet. Though it sounds like really, Obama is prepared to go forward whether congress authorizes or not, so this stupid charade is simply buying us time. This is extremely frustrating.

Quoting LadyVoldemort:

No authorization until the full senate hears it I think.

Quoting stringtheory:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN