Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Tulsa school sends little girl home because she has dreads!

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:19 PM
  • 12 Replies
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamav2215
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

i can't get the link to open for some reason, so disregard my comment if there's more information in it.

if this little girl got sent home strictly because she has dreds in her hair... this absurd. is there a policy against this?

T-HoneyLuv
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM
2 moms liked this
I think it is ridiculous. My DS has had locs for years. DH who is Jamaican has had long locs his whole life. It is a part of his culture and DS has embraced it. I wish someone would tell me my son couldnt attend school because of it. Bullshit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4music
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM

FoX23 reviewed the school's dress code. It states, "hairstyles such as dreadlocks, afros, mohawks, and other faddish styles are unacceptable."
Plainly stated.

If you don't like the rules, work to change them but don't expect people to turn their heads and give you a pass to blatant violation just because you don't like them.

T-HoneyLuv
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:36 PM
2 moms liked this
Dreds are not a " faddish " style. It is a cultural style and one that is very important to Rastafarians. I also find it funny that the child wore them last year with no issues?

Quoting 4music:

FoX23 reviewed the school's dress code. It states, "hairstyles such as dreadlocks, afros, mohawks, and other faddish styles are unacceptable."
Plainly stated.

If you don't like the rules, work to change them but don't expect people to turn their heads and give you a pass to blatant violation just because you don't like them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:36 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't see dreadlocks or Afros to be faddish. I wonder if they accept braids...on black children.

Quoting 4music:

Plainly stated.

4music
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Agreed, but that's not my point. As for the braids, I saw nothing in the dresscode stated that they were not allowed.

Quoting lizmarie1975:

I don't see dreadlocks or Afros to be faddish. I wonder if they accept braids...on black children.

Quoting 4music:

Plainly stated.

I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an empereror just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd put me away!
-Dennis
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM
I was just wondering if braids fell into the "other faddish styles."

I agree that the parents need to band together to have this reversed.

Quoting 4music:

Agreed, but that's not my point. As for the braids, I saw nothing in the dresscode stated that they were not allowed.

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Quoting 4music:

Plainly stated.

4music
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I agree, i do not consider them faddish. (personally, i think it's silly to have anything about hairstyles in dress codes)

But agian, it was in the dress code so i fail to see the parents shock here. Why they let it slip before? I have no idea. Again, if you are sending your child to a school and you disagree with the polices there are 2 courses of action - don't send them, or work to change the rules you find objectionable.

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

Dreds are not a " faddish " style. It is a cultural style and one that is very important to Rastafarians. I also find it funny that the child wore them last year with no issues?

Quoting 4music:

Plainly stated.

I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an empereror just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd put me away!
-Dennis
casseopeia
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Right or wrong it's a private school, it's in the rules, and the parents knowingly violated the rules.  Let the child finish the year in public school.

T-HoneyLuv
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:46 PM
I would have argued that they are not faddish. Mohawks and multicolored hair are different than locs. I hope that rule is ammended but I do understand that the parent should have paid more attention to the rules.

Quoting 4music:

I agree, i do not consider them faddish. (personally, i think it's silly to have anything about hairstyles in dress codes)

But agian, it was in the dress code so i fail to see the parents shock here. Why they let it slip before? I have no idea. Again, if you are sending your child to a school and you disagree with the polices there are 2 courses of action - don't send them, or work to change the rules you find objectionable.

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

Quoting 4music:

Plainly stated.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)