Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Sends Black Girl, 7, Home For Wearing Dreadlocks

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:43 AM
  • 215 Replies

School Sends Black Girl, 7, Home For Wearing Dreadlocks 

article image

Tiana Parker, 7, was recently sent home by Deborah Brown Community School in Tulsa, Oklahoma because school officials did not like her hairstyle.

“She’s always presentable. I take pride in my kids looking nice," Tiana's dad, Terrance Parker, told Fox 23 .

Terrance works as a barber and grooms his daughter's hair.

School officials wouldn't appear on camera to defend their decision, but the school policy states that “hairstyles such as dreadlocks, afros, mohawks, and other faddish styles are unacceptable" because the “school feels that could distract from the respectful and serious atmosphere it strives for.”

“She went to the school last year and didn’t have any problems. It hurt my feelings to the core,” added Terrance.

Tiana cried as she told Fox 23: “They didn’t like my dreads. I think that they should let me have my dreads.”

Tiana, who is a straight A student, is going to a new school, which accepts her hairstyle.

Source: Fox 23

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:51 AM
3 moms liked this

While I am big on 'you  know the rules'

I think the father did the right thing in pulling her and I think it is wrong that they didn't say a damn thing the year before. 

(Unless they changed the rule for the following year. which is shitty as well)

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:51 AM
6 moms liked this

Wow, I wonder if at any point in time the school administrators who singled this little 7 year old girl out and sent her home wondered about the affect their actions had on this poor child.  I can't imagine how devastating this must have been for her.  It wasn't like she was a rebellious teenager.  She was just a little girl proudly wearing the hair style her dad did.

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM
11 moms liked this
Locs nor Afros are distracting at all. Afros nor locs are faddish they both have been around for some time and they are very healthy for her hair texture. Would they prefer her hair relaxed which can cause lots of damage.
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM
5 moms liked this

Well, it's obvious white people made up that stupid rule. Black hair is not like white hair. That hair needs to be kept up and maintained and when it comes to children, it's just easier to keep them in braids or locs. 

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM
3 moms liked this

Even without cool hairdos kids are distracted by any and everything. They should take down all the crazy posters in the classroom. I stared endlessly at the clusterphuck on the walls in school. 

People need to get a grip. My 13 yr old has blonde hair with black and pink tips and no one is throwing a fit.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM
3 moms liked this

I think this is a little out there, school administrators need to focus on education and not fashion

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:20 AM
8 moms liked this

Exactly. How are locs faddish? And to spell it out like that clearly isolates a group of people..how is that not discrimination? 

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Locs nor Afros are distracting at all. Afros nor locs are faddish they both have been around for some time and they are very healthy for her hair texture. Would they prefer her hair relaxed which can cause lots of damage.

jadedcynic
by NerdyJen on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:21 AM
11 moms liked this

So basically you can't have African-American hair at all. This dress code is racist and will be struck down. It happened at a private school in Ohio that tried the same nonsense and will be fought again.

tanyainmizzou
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:23 AM
5 moms liked this

What about Mohawks?  Is that isolating a group of people?

It's a charter school.  Follow their rules or don't attend.

Quoting LNLMommy:

Exactly. How are locs faddish? And to spell it out like that clearly isolates a group of people..how is that not discrimination? 

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

she_walk_softly
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:23 AM
3 moms liked this

Wow that is cruel, and no Afros?!? Wouldn't it be if most black people grew their hair out naturally with out adding chemicals to it, it would be an Afro? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured