Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama to take Putin to task over gay rights during G20 summit

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM
  • 91 Replies
3 moms liked this
My question is why? This is going to go over like a lead balloon. Russia/U.S. relations are extremely strained right now, to say the very least. I don't think this particular summit is the time or place for this. Yet another distressing example of incompetent leadership and bad decisions. Smh.
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlekD
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM
2 moms liked this

Obviously that is the most important thing happening in the world right now.

Liz_Rocket
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM
3 moms liked this
Quoting AlekD:

Obviously that is the most important thing happening in the world right now.

Clearly.

I think this man has lost his fucking mind.
SherryBerry106
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:58 AM
3 moms liked this

He is pissing all the left wingers off by beating the war drums.

He has to throw them some bone.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Is there an article link? I must have missed this some how

krysstizzle
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:58 AM
5 moms liked this

It makes even less sense to focus only on one single issue when there is a world of shit happening. Just because there is a clusterfuck in Syria doesn't mean everything else stops. Doesn't work like that, life goes on.

And Russia needs to be taken to task for human rights violations. 

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM
6 moms liked this

And as president I sure as hell hope he can focus on more than one issue at a time. 

Quoting krysstizzle:

It makes even less sense to focus only on one single issue when there is a world of shit happening. Just because there is a clusterfuck in Syria doesn't mean everything else stops. Doesn't work like that, life goes on.

Liz_Rocket
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Quoting pamelax3:

I'm on my phone and can't figure out how. Google 'Obama gay rights Russia'. If you could manage to post a link from anything that's not Huffington post or Jezebel, I would love you forever.
krysstizzle
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

:/

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/04/g20-summit-putin-gay-rights-russia-obama

Quoting Liz_Rocket:

Quoting pamelax3:

I'm on my phone and can't figure out how. Google 'Obama gay rights Russia'. If you could manage to post a link from anything that's not Huffington post or Jezebel, I would love you forever.

krysstizzle
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Barack Obama and David Cameron have made clear they will take Vladimir Putin to task for Russia's discriminatory treatment of gay people during the G20 summit in Russia this week.

In bilateral talks, the prime minister will challenge the Russian president over a recent law banning ''propaganda'' for non-traditional sexual relationships among minors, Downing Street said. Cameron's plans were confirmed just before an estimated 1,000 people gathered for a Love Russia, Hate Homophobia rally outside Downing Street on Tuesday.

Obama has invited Russian human rights campaigners, including lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) activists, to meet him during the summit. The invitation comes after Obama cancelled a Moscow summit with Putin over the temporary asylum Russia granted to the fugitive NSA whistleblower, Edward Snowden, last month. The two leaders are not scheduled to meet one-on-one during the G20 summit in Saint Petersburg.

Putin has attempted to allay fears that athletes or spectators will fall foul of the gay propaganda law if they express support for LGBT people at next year's Winter Olympics in Sochi. In an interview with the Associated Press and Russia's main state-controlled television channel, broadcast on Wednesday, the president promised that they would not be punished and claimed gay people were not discriminated against in Russia.

"I assure you that I work with these people, I sometimes award them with state prizes or decorations for their achievements in various fields," Putin said.

"We have absolutely normal relations and I don't see anything out of the ordinary here."

He added that Russians loved Tchaikovsky even though the composer was said to have been homosexual. "Truth be told, we don't love him because of that, but he was a great musician and we all love his music," Putin said.

Russia's president offered to meet members of the gay and lesbian community if they asked to see him – an offer Igor Kochetkov of the Russian LGBT Network says does not excuse his failure to protect the rights of citizens.

Kochetkov and other activists will meet Obama on Friday at a hotel near Saint Petersburg's Pulkovo airport. Kochetkov said he intended call for direct dialogue between the US president and Putin over LGBT rights in Russia.

"Putin says there is no problem with discrimination against gay people. Someone needs to convince him the opposite is true," he said.

Following the interview, the gay activist Nikolai Alekseev tweeted a request to meet Putin and said he would file an official request on Wednesday, the state news agency Interfax reported.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/04/g20-summit-putin-gay-rights-russia-obama

Liz_Rocket
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting krysstizzle:

Well, aren't you quite the politico.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN