Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Child shoots SWAT officer at reading event

Posted by   + Show Post
Child shoots SWAT officer at reading event

Yes, this really happened:
A Lodi Police SWAT officer had a Glock .35 with a flashlight in his thigh holster at a children’s reading event when a boy managed to pull the trigger and shoot the officer.
How was the child able to fire the weapon? The gun did not have a safety mechanism.
The officer was showing off the department’s SWAT truck, vest and other gear at a children’s event called Reading Roundup on Aug. 24.

“A small child, witnesses tell us was 6 to 8 years old, was able to walk up to the officer and was able to pull the trigger.”

The bullet hit the officer’s leg. He was taken to the hospital for a minor injury and released

Police department officials are hoping the child's family comes forward because they still haven't been able to interview the child or his parents.

Video report here.

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Glocks have a "safe action" system.  It is a built in system, but a manual safety can be added.  Not really what a cop would want, but the gun should not have been loaded.

Quoting rfurlongg:

Why did it not have a safety?

Minnow Slayer

lga1965
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:43 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Gee I can't wait for teachers to be packing so there are more guns in school

Eye roll

Yup.

lga1965
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:50 AM

But, gosh, I thought people with guns always say "How can I defend myself if my ammo is in a separate place" ( along with the ever popular :" How can I protect my family if I keep my gun locked up? My kids know not to touch my guns"...) Gee, this is a cop. He needs to be able to shoot so how can he do that if his gun isn't loaded,right?  WRONG.

You get my drift?

Either his gun should have not been loaded or had a safety. Or he could have taken it off his person. I swear, adults have no clue about how to protect kids. They are more dangerous that criminals.

In this case, the cop was shot. Tough luck. I have no sympathy for him.

Quoting Carpy:

Glocks have a "safe action" system.  It is a built in system, but a manual safety can be added.  Not really what a cop would want, but the gun should not have been loaded.

Quoting rfurlongg:

Why did it not have a safety?

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:14 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Healthystart30:

And im sure this officer has more training then all the people being put into schools with guns! Scary

This is my problem with people who believe they are highly trained and totally competent gun owners ....they become complacent and negligent.

Probably why most who bleat on about being responsible owners...are the scariest people out there.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Due to being a babbling rant...no response.

Quoting lga1965: But, gosh, I thought people with guns always say "How can I defend myself if my ammo is in a separate place" ( along with the ever popular :" How can I protect my family if I keep my gun locked up? My kids know not to touch my guns"...) Gee, this is a cop. He needs to be able to shoot so how can he do that if his gun isn't loaded,right?  WRONG.
You get my drift?
Either his gun should have not been loaded or had a safety. Or he could have taken it off his person. I swear, adults have no clue about how to protect kids. They are more dangerous that criminals.
Quoting Carpy:
Quoting rfurlongg:Why did it not have a safety?

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:13 AM

THIS.

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting Healthystart30:

And im sure this officer has more training then all the people being put into schools with guns! Scary

This is my problem with people who believe they are highly trained and totally competent gun owners ....they become complacent and negligent.

Probably why most who bleat on about being responsible owners...are the scariest people out there.

lga1965
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:25 AM
I realize my comments were too deep and meaningful. Next time I'll use only a few words, small words.

Quoting Carpy:

Due to being a babbling rant...no response.

Quoting lga1965: But, gosh, I thought people with guns always say "How can I defend myself if my ammo is in a separate place" ( along with the ever popular :" How can I protect my family if I keep my gun locked up? My kids know not to touch my guns"...) Gee, this is a cop. He needs to be able to shoot so how can he do that if his gun isn't loaded,right?  WRONG.

You get my drift?

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting rfurlongg:Why did it not have a safety?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:29 AM
3 moms liked this
A 6-8 year old doesn't know better than to go touching things that don't belong to him and are strapped to another person at the time? No one taught him not to pull the trigger of a gun, not to mention one that is in a holster on a police officer?

If the police officer can't keep his weapon away from a child, I'm not sure I would trust him to keep it away from a criminal. How does a person have such little self awareness that they don't notice a child messing with their loaded gun that is on their waist?

There is a whole lot of fail going on here...
casseopeia
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I loved Tommy Lee Jones in o Country for Old Men.

Quoting jllcali:

Mobile Photo

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this
This.

Quoting JMmama:

A 6-8 year old doesn't know better than to go touching things that don't belong to him and are strapped to another person at the time? No one taught him not to pull the trigger of a gun, not to mention one that is in a holster on a police officer?

If the police officer can't keep his weapon away from a child, I'm not sure I would trust him to keep it away from a criminal. How does a person have such little self awareness that they don't notice a child messing with their loaded gun that is on their waist?

There is a whole lot of fail going on here...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN