Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Child shoots SWAT officer at reading event

Posted by   + Show Post
Child shoots SWAT officer at reading event

Yes, this really happened:
A Lodi Police SWAT officer had a Glock .35 with a flashlight in his thigh holster at a children’s reading event when a boy managed to pull the trigger and shoot the officer.
How was the child able to fire the weapon? The gun did not have a safety mechanism.
The officer was showing off the department’s SWAT truck, vest and other gear at a children’s event called Reading Roundup on Aug. 24.

“A small child, witnesses tell us was 6 to 8 years old, was able to walk up to the officer and was able to pull the trigger.”

The bullet hit the officer’s leg. He was taken to the hospital for a minor injury and released

Police department officials are hoping the child's family comes forward because they still haven't been able to interview the child or his parents.

Video report here.

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Replies (31-40):
morrigan914
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Disregard that, it could have been referring to the harness.

Quoting morrigan914:

In another article, the Chief of Police stated that the weapon did not have it's thumb safety engaged.
Quoting Carpy:

Glocks have a "safe action" system.  It is a built in system, but a manual safety can be added.  Not really what a cop would want, but the gun should not have been loaded.

Quoting rfurlongg:

Why did it not have a safety?

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

That is a dumb mistake.  The safety should have been on around children. What was his name? Barney Fife?

ETA:  Yes  Iknow his name but Barney FIfe on the Andy Griffith show would know better.

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I also agree with other posters at this age the child should know better not to touch the gun strapped to the officer's body!  There is so much messed up in this story. My kids know better than that and have since they were very little. If it is not yours, don't touch. If it is on someone else, you don't touch it.  

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
That is part of Glocks safe action system. regardless it should have unloaded.

Quoting morrigan914:

In another article, the Chief of Police stated that the weapon did not have it's thumb safety engaged.
Quoting Carpy:

Glocks have a "safe action" system.  It is a built in system, but a manual safety can be added.  Not really what a cop would want, but the gun should not have been loaded.

Quoting rfurlongg:

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Part of the problem though is there are parents who will not teach their kids anything about guns.  They think because they don't allow guns in their house or to other peoples homes where there may be guns then there is no need to teach any kind of gun safety to their children.

EVERY parent needs to teach their children gun safety whether they own guns or not.

Quoting Thelmama:

I also agree with other posters at this age the child should know better not to touch the gun strapped to the officer's body!  There is so much messed up in this story. My kids know better than that and have since they were very little. If it is not yours, don't touch. If it is on someone else, you don't touch it.  

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Correct. I was thinking of the trigger button.

Quoting morrigan914:

Disregard that, it could have been referring to the harness.

Quoting morrigan914:

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting rfurlongg:

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Oh I agree. You would think though that at this age a child would know not to touch someone else things regardless of what the item was that was being touched.  I mean kids know you don't touch the teacher's things or the classmates things on their desk. You would think this child had been at least taught to keep his hands to himself.  

Quoting Peanutx3:

Part of the problem though is there are parents who will not teach their kids anything about guns.  They think because they don't allow guns in their house or to other peoples homes where there may be guns then there is no need to teach any kind of gun safety to their children.

EVERY parent needs to teach their children gun safety whether they own guns or not.

Quoting Thelmama:

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:35 PM

True most kids do know not to touch other peoples belongings.  However there are kids who are developmentaly delayed that may not understand that.  We don't know anything about this child. 

Quoting Thelmama:

Oh I agree. You would think though that at this age a child would know not to touch someone else things regardless of what the item was that was being touched.  I mean kids know you don't touch the teacher's things or the classmates things on their desk. You would think this child had been at least taught to keep his hands to himself.  

Quoting Peanutx3:

Quoting Thelmama:

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Could be we don't know. I think the officer holds the majority of the responsiblilty. I do not think he was being gun safe in a classroom full of kids.

Quoting Peanutx3:

Quoting Thelmama:

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I think the sole responsibility falls on the officer. 

Quoting Thelmama:

Could be we don't know. I think the officer holds the majority of the responsiblilty. I do not think he was being gun safe in a classroom full of kids.

Quoting Peanutx3:

Quoting Thelmama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)