Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child shoots SWAT officer at reading event

Posted by   + Show Post
Child shoots SWAT officer at reading event

Yes, this really happened:
A Lodi Police SWAT officer had a Glock .35 with a flashlight in his thigh holster at a children’s reading event when a boy managed to pull the trigger and shoot the officer.
How was the child able to fire the weapon? The gun did not have a safety mechanism.
The officer was showing off the department’s SWAT truck, vest and other gear at a children’s event called Reading Roundup on Aug. 24.

“A small child, witnesses tell us was 6 to 8 years old, was able to walk up to the officer and was able to pull the trigger.”

The bullet hit the officer’s leg. He was taken to the hospital for a minor injury and released

Police department officials are hoping the child's family comes forward because they still haven't been able to interview the child or his parents.

Video report here.

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Replies (41-50):
Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:48 PM

It is not that I blame the kid per se, I'd say he(the officer) is 99.9 percent responsible with the child having to have known better and no staff intervening when the child walked up and started messing with the officer's gun.  He had to have more than  a second or two to fiddle with it long enough to shoot someone. I agree with you for the most part.  I just think there is a fraction of responsibility to go on others AS WELL as the officer.  caps for emphasis, not shouting.  The officer should carry the full blame though as an officer of the law who is trained to not let his gun be accidentally fired.

Quoting Peanutx3:

I think the sole responsibility falls on the officer. 

Quoting Thelmama:

Could be we don't know. I think the officer holds the majority of the responsiblilty. I do not think he was being gun safe in a classroom full of kids.

Quoting Peanutx3:

Part of the problem though is there are parents who will not teach their kids anything about guns.  They think because they don't allow guns in their house or to other peoples homes where there may be guns then there is no need to teach any kind of gun safety to their children.

EVERY parent needs to teach their children gun safety whether they own guns or not.

Quoting Thelmama:

I also agree with other posters at this age the child should know better not to touch the gun strapped to the officer's body!  There is so much messed up in this story. My kids know better than that and have since they were very little. If it is not yours, don't touch. If it is on someone else, you don't touch it.  

MYBABYANDI
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 4:32 PM

shoulda had the safety on

RandRMomma
by Maya on Sep. 6, 2013 at 4:42 PM
There's a whole lot of fail going on here.
I-am-Jen
by New Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I'm normally just a lurker...only because I'm so extremely busy with work, school, and kids that I don't have a huge online life anymore but I wanted to comment because this event occurred in my town.  My MIL is an author of a childrens book and was at the event sharing her book with all the kids.  I think the first thing to realize is that as much as our police force has improved over the years...it is still corrupt and flawed by the "good ol' boys club" that runs the town.  The cops here carry their guns everywhere and demand respect regardless of their incompetence yet rarely come to the aid of the citizens.  In fact just last night coming home from class, I was driving behind one of Lodi's finest in a marked unit as we were approached by an oncoming vehicle with no headlights on at 10:30 pm.  The officer ignored the obvious safety hazard and traffic violation and continued to the station.  I can only assume he was at the end of a shift or headed for a meal break but seriously...WTF?!?!

I have all due respect for police officers.  I have friends and family that are in law enforcement but Lodi PD is a joke that is more concerned with displaying their arrogance and citing bicyclists not wearing helmets.

Here is an article written by the local paper about a statement released by Chief Helms regarding the shooting.

http://www.lodinews.com/news/article_1aaad618-e39f-5786-ba39-f1e8fae593b3.html

Lodi Police Chief Mark Helms issues statement about shooting

Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 12:00 am

Lodi Police Chief Mark Helms issues statement about shooting By Kristopher Anderson/News-Sentinel Staff Writer Lodinews.com | 0 comments

More than a week after a young boy pulled the trigger of an officer's gun, causing it to accidentally discharge at a children's event, Lodi Police Chief Mark Helms issued a statement about the incident.

"This should have never happened, especially in an environment where children were present," he said in a prepared statement. "As peace officers, we have a responsibility to the public to ensure our weapons and equipment are properly safeguarded. We're fortunate this didn't result in a tragedy."

According to Lodi police, Officer Robert Rench was showing tactical equipment to a group of children on Aug. 24 when a boy, estimated at 6 to 8 years old, walked up behind the officer and pulled the trigger on his handgun, which was secured in a holster.

Rench was treated for a minor flesh wound. The child fled before officers could learn his identity.  Lodi police are investigating the incident, in order to determine how similar events can be prevented in the future.

lanceandhailey
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:16 PM

My 7 and 8 year old know not to touch a gun without permission WTH?

elle7777
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:26 PM

IKR? What kind of eight year old runs up on a officer and starts fondling with the gun in his holseter? Unless the kid was severly mentally handicapped he had to have known by that age what guns do and to not "assault" an officer. We're not talking about a 2 year old.

And people, for the record glocks are standard issue police weapons in many districts. They have no safety, so if the top portion had been pulled back all that had to happen for a bullet to shoot was the trigger needed to be pulled. Kid could have grabbed it fast. I'm sure the officer wasn't on his toes because he didn't think his life was in danger with a bunch of kids. And who would of thought a 3rd grader would have acted like that?

Quoting slashteddy:

... So an eight year old pulls a trigger on a gun still in the holster of an officer, and people are blaming the officer?

It's not like he was passing it around for kids to see. He was on duty, it seems. This is not the fault of the officer, it's the fault of the child, and also the parents.

Also, how was this child able to approach an officer, reach for the holster, and pull the trigger?

Someone didn't do their job, and it wasn't the guy who got shot.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I know some law enforcement agencies have special holsters that act as gun safes of sorts where no one but the law officer him/herself can remove the firearm from the holster.  This is especially good for law enforcement officers with children of their own, as well as in any situation where a firearm is attempted to be forcibly taken from an officer.  Shame this law enforcement agency didn't have these special gun safe holsters.

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."  -  Dante

susannah2000
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I don't think the officer needed to bring the loaded gun to a children's event, but they also need to talk to the child and his parents. He needs to be taught not to touch things without permission. He isn't a baby. This is the fault of both.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:04 AM
There really isn't a problem with it being loaded. I wouldn't expect a cop to walk around with a loaded gun. The problem was that there was one in the chamber.

Quoting Carpy:

Glocks have a "safe action" system.  It is a built in system, but a manual safety can be added.  Not really what a cop would want, but the gun should not have been loaded.

Quoting rfurlongg:

Why did it not have a safety?

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
My Autistic 7 and 8 yr old know to never touch a gun unless given permission by mom or dad.

Quoting lanceandhailey:

My 7 and 8 year old know not to touch a gun without permission WTH?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured