Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fat letters...here we go again!

Posted by   + Show Post

Is it the school's place to monitor your child's weight and to let you know if they're reaching the 'unhealthy zone'? Is this any different that the yearly vision and hearing testing? Is the outrage over this overblown?

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/09/04/schools-sending-fat-letters-to-parents-about-overweight-children/

Schools Sending ‘Fat Letters’ To Parents About Overweight Children

STUDIO CITY (CBSLA.com) — Many schools are sending noteshome to parents, telling them their children are overweight.

Lauren Schmitt, a registered dietitian, starts the school year by checking out the weight of hundreds of preschoolers in the San Fernando Valley.

“We look at growth charts and percentiles. And when a child is at 95 percent of their…we can look at weight for age or weight for height…that child would be considered obese,” she said.

By October, CBS2’s Suraya Fadel reported that parents will get what is called “healthy or unhealthy” letters. Kids call them “fat letters.”

Schmitt said out of the 900 2 to 5-year-old children she looks at, roughly 200 are listed as obese.

“We let the parents know in a gentle fashion, but we also send out a ton of handouts to try to help that family,” she said.

Experts said 19 states around the country are cracking down on childhood obesity with similar letters.

“Every year there are a few phone calls from parents who are upset,” said Schmitt.

Many districts in Southern California, such as Riverside County, choose to follow state guidelines and instead send test results of the child’s body mass index to their parents.

“It shouldn’t be a stigma. It’s not a way to categorize someone. It’s just showing that this child has increased risk to be obese as an adult, which then could lead to quite a few chronic diseases,” said Schmitt.

The dietitian said the goal is to empower and educate parents with the tools to make healthier lifestyle choices for children.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Replies (31-40):
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Why don't you listen to phys.ed. teachers ,school nurses ( who have years of medical training) or guidance counselors who have degrees? ANd what the heck are you talking about?>Oh, yeah, I am supposed to read your mind.

Quoting Caera:

No. My foster kids are usually underfed and malnourished when I get them. But thanks for asking.

I listen to doctors. Not phys. ed. teachers, school nurses, and guidance counselors.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Caera:

I am not interested in schools using my tax dollars and my kids' time with them on this. Their job is to teach my kids reading/writing, math, social studies, science, etc. I will handle their health issues.

I let the school know at the beginning of the year that my kids will not be taking part in any of their screenings. They can use that time to read and work on a book report.

Ahhhh, another defensive parent who won't listen to anyone,huh? Rebellious and resistant to change and rejecting knowlege?? Grrrrreat. Seems they hit a nerve. Chubby kids? ;)

Caera
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:41 PM
2 moms liked this

No, you're not supposed to read my mind. You're also not supposed to make comments on children in a pathetic, smarmy, classless attempt to prove your point either, and that you SHOULD know. 

I am a hs teacher. I know exactly how much training they have.

Quoting lga1965:

Why don't you listen to phys.ed. teachers ,school nurses ( who have years of medical training) or guidance counselors who have degrees? ANd what the heck are you talking about?>Oh, yeah, I am supposed to read your mind.

Quoting Caera:

No. My foster kids are usually underfed and malnourished when I get them. But thanks for asking.

I listen to doctors. Not phys. ed. teachers, school nurses, and guidance counselors.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Caera:

I am not interested in schools using my tax dollars and my kids' time with them on this. Their job is to teach my kids reading/writing, math, social studies, science, etc. I will handle their health issues.

I let the school know at the beginning of the year that my kids will not be taking part in any of their screenings. They can use that time to read and work on a book report.

Ahhhh, another defensive parent who won't listen to anyone,huh? Rebellious and resistant to change and rejecting knowlege?? Grrrrreat. Seems they hit a nerve. Chubby kids? ;)

tanyainmizzou
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah.  Thinking you should listen to PE teachers is so funny.

Quoting Caera:

No, you're not supposed to read my mind. You're also not supposed to make comments on children in a pathetic, smarmy, classless attempt to prove your point either, and that you SHOULD know. 

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Caera:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Caera:

Caera
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Seriously. And a "degreed" Guidance Counselor. LMAO. Their degrees have NOTHING to do with health. Additionally, most "school nurses" aren't R.N.'s, but just take a certification class, and the actual R.N.'s (if the district even has the money to hire any) rotate through 20 or so schools, getting there about once a month.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting Caera:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Caera:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Caera:

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Gee, you seem to feel superior to everyone don't you ? And nasty. and judgmental. And in denial.
Good luck with that.

Quoting Caera:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Caera:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Caera:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:58 PM
I think you're right.

Quoting rfurlongg:

I think the outrage is perhaps indicative a nerve being touched.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeautifulFey
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM

LOL! I was a huge kid, not due to diet or no excercise, but do to growing at huge rates. I spent most my life in the 95th percentile.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:53 AM

They probablly know more about exercise and diet than YOU do.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting Caera:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Caera:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Caera:

NiCo86
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I believe the BMI to be a very poor depiction of health and fitness. I disagree with its use in all forms.
luckystars2012
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol ridiculous.

I remember being told that my dd was "overweight".

She is 6 and wears a size 4/5(xs) in little girls. She still fits into a 5t but they're a bit short. She weighs 34 lbs.

Yet by some obscure chart she is "overweight" . Yeah right.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured