Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fat letters...here we go again!

Posted by   + Show Post

Is it the school's place to monitor your child's weight and to let you know if they're reaching the 'unhealthy zone'? Is this any different that the yearly vision and hearing testing? Is the outrage over this overblown?

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/09/04/schools-sending-fat-letters-to-parents-about-overweight-children/

Schools Sending ‘Fat Letters’ To Parents About Overweight Children

STUDIO CITY (CBSLA.com) — Many schools are sending noteshome to parents, telling them their children are overweight.

Lauren Schmitt, a registered dietitian, starts the school year by checking out the weight of hundreds of preschoolers in the San Fernando Valley.

“We look at growth charts and percentiles. And when a child is at 95 percent of their…we can look at weight for age or weight for height…that child would be considered obese,” she said.

By October, CBS2’s Suraya Fadel reported that parents will get what is called “healthy or unhealthy” letters. Kids call them “fat letters.”

Schmitt said out of the 900 2 to 5-year-old children she looks at, roughly 200 are listed as obese.

“We let the parents know in a gentle fashion, but we also send out a ton of handouts to try to help that family,” she said.

Experts said 19 states around the country are cracking down on childhood obesity with similar letters.

“Every year there are a few phone calls from parents who are upset,” said Schmitt.

Many districts in Southern California, such as Riverside County, choose to follow state guidelines and instead send test results of the child’s body mass index to their parents.

“It shouldn’t be a stigma. It’s not a way to categorize someone. It’s just showing that this child has increased risk to be obese as an adult, which then could lead to quite a few chronic diseases,” said Schmitt.

The dietitian said the goal is to empower and educate parents with the tools to make healthier lifestyle choices for children.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Replies (41-50):
lga1965
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:02 AM

They probably know a whole lot more about diet and exercise than you do. As another poster said "This must have hit a nerve". Seriously, you are way too angry about this post, the issue of overweight kids. You seem to be  overwrought, oversensitive (and evading) . Makes me wonder why will you not allow your kids be a part of the weighing and measuring program at school?

We always were weighed and measured by our school nurse  every year in grade school when I was a kid and my parents had no complaints and didn't get all bent out of shape and defensive.  Nobody did. But that was in the 50's when it was unusual to see a kid who was obese. Or fat. And people were a lot more easy going, and rarely got pissed off....

Quoting Caera:

Seriously. And a "degreed" Guidance Counselor. LMAO. Their degrees have NOTHING to do with health. Additionally, most "school nurses" aren't R.N.'s, but just take a certification class, and the actual R.N.'s (if the district even has the money to hire any) rotate through 20 or so schools, getting there about once a month.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Yeah.  Thinking you should listen to PE teachers is so funny.

Quoting Caera:

No, you're not supposed to read my mind. You're also not supposed to make comments on children in a pathetic, smarmy, classless attempt to prove your point either, and that you SHOULD know. 

I am a hs teacher. I know exactly how much training they have.

Quoting lga1965:

Why don't you listen to phys.ed. teachers ,school nurses ( who have years of medical training) or guidance counselors who have degrees? ANd what the heck are you talking about?>Oh, yeah, I am supposed to read your mind.

Quoting Caera:

No. My foster kids are usually underfed and malnourished when I get them. But thanks for asking.

I listen to doctors. Not phys. ed. teachers, school nurses, and guidance counselors.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Caera:

I am not interested in schools using my tax dollars and my kids' time with them on this. Their job is to teach my kids reading/writing, math, social studies, science, etc. I will handle their health issues.

I let the school know at the beginning of the year that my kids will not be taking part in any of their screenings. They can use that time to read and work on a book report.

Ahhhh, another defensive parent who won't listen to anyone,huh? Rebellious and resistant to change and rejecting knowlege?? Grrrrreat. Seems they hit a nerve. Chubby kids? ;)

Jacqalyn
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:32 AM
I personally would be ok with it, for the fact it's an eye opener. Not that a parent would already know their child is overweight, or even under weight but sometimes a parent overlooks it. To have someone who cares enough to open your eyes and help you to make your child's life healthier and easier, it's worth it. After all it is us parents who put that child in the position.

Now of course I would prefer that the letter be mailed then sent home with the child. I would hate for any child to read it and see only the negative.
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:42 AM

I am torn on this. For some reason, the school will still do eye screenings on my DD. Ummm, she wears glasses. Obviously she has eye problems. Schools never caught how blind my brother is because he would memorize the eye chart while waiting for his turn. He couldn't do that when he went to get his driver's liscense. If they do this for my DS, I am going to be told his underweight. He's in the 3% for BMI and his doctor's appointment was in the afternoon so he might be even lower than that. He's 42" and 34 lbs at 5. 

casseopeia
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Getting a letter or not isn't going to make any difference as far as fat kids being teased.  The other kids and SEE that they are fat.  No letter needed for that.

I also dont think a letter is going to change a lazy parent either.

prommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Damned schools are getting waaay to intrusive. it is a pediatrician's job to educate mom and dad about obesity in the child, not the school's job. I just signed some paper work for our high school for my 17 year old son. One of the questions was whether or not they could do an end run around me and speak directly to my son's pediatrician for medical information or problems. I responded "no" he is a minor child and I am his parent so the questions can and will be run by meand I will handle getting in touch with the doctor. Somewhere the schools in this country seemed to have lost sight of who exactly is responsible for the students.

prommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Caera:

I am not interested in schools using my tax dollars and my kids' time with them on this. Their job is to teach my kids reading/writing, math, social studies, science, etc. I will handle their health issues.

I let the school know at the beginning of the year that my kids will not be taking part in any of their screenings. They can use that time to read and work on a book report.

Ahhhh, another defensive parent who won't listen to anyone,huh? Rebellious and resistant to change and rejecting knowlege?? Grrrrreat. Seems they hit a nerve. Chubby kids? ;)

That was mean.

prommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Quoting Caera:

No. My foster kids are usually underfed and malnourished when I get them. But thanks for asking.

I listen to doctors. Not phys. ed. teachers, school nurses, and guidance counselors.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Caera:

clapping

zandhmom2
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:40 AM

So I don't get accused of having overweight children and being defensive, I will tell you straight up front that neither of my children are overweight at all.  With that said, I understand why the schools send letters just to let the parents know but I truly think it's a waste of time.  If the parents are lazy in their parenting and allow their children to become overweight because they do nothing but sit around watching tv and eating, then the parents are going to be too lazy to change anything after receiving the letter.  Most likely they won't even read it or read it and just throw it away.  In my job, I see a lot of parents who bring their children in for "help" but the real problem is not that the children need help but that the parents don't know how to parent. One letter will not change that.

pinkfairy0206
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:40 AM
I would be upset of course,but would want to get my child healthy. I would be appreciative of the help.
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:42 AM
This was done at my school in the early 90's...we always had vision, hearing and weight checks done...I don't understand why people are freaking out now, unless it has something to do with parents being offended that their kids are overweight...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN