Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

"Only rich people are allowed to have babies?"

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM
  • 215 Replies
2 moms liked this

That was a response I received in that confession group just before I left it due to feeling like I needed a serious Karen Silkwood-like cyber shower.  Women were arguing that even if they couldn't AFFORD children, they have the right to have them. So what if they needed neverending gubment help to feed their broods.

Really?

This morning I called the cops on a couple I saw on the side of the road. Their stroller was so close to (a lot of) traffic that I figured they were a homeless couple using the stroller as a suitcase. When I drove by, I saw a tiny infant in the stroller.

The couple appeared as if they had come from a stretch of woods where I know homeless people sleep. They were heading into a parking lot. This was early in the morning. Just seemed unusual.

It didn't sit well with me at all. I drove on, and then my conscience started bothering me. I live in Florida. It's not healthy to have your dog out in the high temp/high humidity weather we're having. So, I called the police just to check . . . just in case.

Let's say this couple is homeless. Do they really have the "right" to live in the woods (assuming that they are) with an infant? Do they have the "right" to wander around during this heat and humidity with an infant?
There must be a shelter that could house them. Air conditioned.

My view may be harsh, but I'm sticking to it: If you can't afford a kid, use birth control, have an abortion or give the baby up to someone who can afford to give the child a decent home. Damn it.

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Themis_Defleo
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:22 AM
13 moms liked this
Maybe they are yuppies out for a stroll in the early hours to get baby some fresh air before the heat gets worse. Their BMW may be in the parking lot.

Humans survived without AC (even infants) for thousands of years.

They likely have no right to live in the woods, as they are trespassing. However, beyond that, I really don't see the point of your post.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:25 AM
9 moms liked this

Shit happens.  You have no idea their circumstances. I think people need to worry about themselves.

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:28 AM
4 moms liked this
How do you know they didnt go on a nature walk with their child. Most people take care of their families. You know there are little to no rational people in MC. Why did you even think a rational conversation was gonna happen there. Have you seen some of the topics. This is the same group that has post about people masterbating with a remote control and now they got your panties in bunch and now we gotta suffer your mc like rant
Nicoleb9
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:28 AM
6 moms liked this
You have to remember the general atmosphere of that group. There are countless women who squeal like stuck pigs when their food stamp cards come in the mail and believe that taking birth control pills at the same time every day is a "suggestion". Bringing babies into an already impoverished household is status quo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicoleb9
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this
Ha! You should have seen the fireworks during the anon glitch. Sooo many of those kinds of posts were bumped and their screen names outted.

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

How do you know they didnt go on a nature walk with their child. Most people take care of their families. You know there are little to no rational people in MC. Why did you even think a rational conversation was gonna happen there. Have you seen some of the topics. This is the same group that has post about people masterbating with a remote control and now they got your panties in bunch and now we gotta suffer your mc like rant

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol I heard about it in some of me other mom groups. It sounded entertaining as heck but still not enough to make me join.

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Ha! You should have seen the fireworks during the anon glitch. Sooo many of those kinds of posts were bumped and their screen names outted.

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM
8 moms liked this

Let's say for argument's sake they were homeless.  How do you know they didn't become homeless after the baby was born, or after she became pregnant.  We can't accurately judge someone else's circumstances just by a quick glimpse as we drive by.

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM

And it is just this attitude that results in animals and kids dying in hot cars. "Shit happens?" We're talking about an infant. Unreal.

And, yes, to you and a couple others, I have an IDEA of their circumstances due to my familiarity with the area and how these people were dressed.

Hope I'm not in trouble when people like you are around just "worrying about yourselves."

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Shit happens.  You have no idea their circumstances. I think people need to worry about themselves.

kidlover2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:35 AM
5 moms liked this
Your definition of afford is probably not the same as someone else's. I agree with you to a point though. Bringing a child into an already impoverished family is not a good idea but finances never determine the stupidity of parents. Rich people can be idiotically bad parents also.
Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Yea <head thwap> silly me! Doh!

Quoting Themis_Defleo:

Maybe they are yuppies out for a stroll in the early hours to get baby some fresh air before the heat gets worse. Their BMW may be in the parking lot.

Humans survived without AC (even infants) for thousands of years.

They likely have no right to live in the woods, as they are trespassing. However, beyond that, I really don't see the point of your post.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)