Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Amish Girl, 10, Won't Be Forced to Have Chemo, Judge Rules

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:59 PM
  • 127 Replies
1 mom liked this

A 10-year-old Amish girl will not be forced to undergo chemotherapy, an Ohio judge has ruled, siding with the girl's parents, who say previous chemotherapy made her sick.

Though an appeals court sent the case back to a judge for further consideration last week, Judge John Lohn denied temporary limited guardianship to a nurse and dismissed the case in Medina County, Ohio, explaining that the Hershbergers are "good parents."

"They live a simple life, but this does not mean they are simple-minded," Lohn wrote in the ruling.

In April, Sarah Hershberger was diagnosed with lymphoblastic lymphoma, which resulted in tumors on her neck, chest and kidneys, according to court records. Sarah started chemotherapy at Akron Children's Hospital in Medina County, Ohio, but her parents, Andy and Anna Hershberger, decided to stop the treatments in June.

Listen to Adam Hershberger on Good Morning America.

Sarah has an 85 percent chance of survival with chemotherapy, according to a statement from Akron Children's Hospital. Without it, the cancer is "almost always fatal," the hospital wrote on its webpage about Sarah's case.

"We've seen how sick it makes her," Andy Hershberger told Good Morning America in a phone interview last week."Our belief is the natural stuff will do just as much as that stuff if it's God's will. She would have more suffering doing chemo than not."

The Hershbergers believe chemotherapy will kill Sarah, but they don't object to resuming it "at some point in the future," Lohn wrote in his ruling.

"Akron Children's Hospital is disappointed in Judge Lohn's ruling," the hospital said in a statement. "We believe this case is about children's rights and giving a 10-year-old girl an 85 percent chance of survival with treatment."

Lohn wrote that the chemotherapy wasn't a surefire cure, and that the Hershbergers weren't informed about its side effects.

"Sarah says her doctor should be put in jail," Lohn wrote. "Even if the treatments are successful, there is a very good chance Sarah will become infertile and have other serious health risks for the rest of her life."

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roisin07
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:03 PM
12 moms liked this

Sorry, I'm glad for this ruling. My view is obviously in the minority here, but the family should have the right to make their own medical decisions based on their faith, and what they feel is best for all of them and her. There is too much interference in our lives by people who have no business in it. That is the issue here.

Mommabearbergh
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I am happy she no longer has to endure that. I am happy with the judges ruling
supercarp
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree that the family should be able to decide what is best for their child. When it comes to cancer treatment, one size doesn't fit all.

billsfan1104
by Jules on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this
This is what we are going to get with Obamacare. Judges telling us how to live.
Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:29 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't honestly get what this has to do with Obama care.  They didn't want to treatment because of the side effects. The doctor and nurse wanted to force it. The judge said no the parents and child had a right to determine what was right for the child's medical care and decisions.  Chemo is horrendus. They have a right to deny treatment when the treatment is causing more pain and suffering.  It it their right to choose as much as it is a woman's righ to choose what to do about a pregnancy or during pregnancy for tests and the like.  I honestly don't think this is related to Obamacare at all. The parents won their right to choose, as it should be. It doesn't matter if i would do differently. The child did not want the chemo either.

Quoting billsfan1104:

.OceanBlue.
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:33 PM

This.

Quoting supercarp:

I agree that the family should be able to decide what is best for their child. When it comes to cancer treatment, one size doesn't fit all.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:34 PM
3 moms liked this

I am not really sure how I feel about this, either way it is so sad

stormcris
by Christy on Sep. 6, 2013 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

There is always a trade off. I do not side with the idea of chemo or without it. It is a personal decision that should be made by the family. Chemo is not without its own problems and later effects. You get rid of cancer perhaps but then you have other illness to contend with that might threaten your life as well. I am hopeful that they are deciding to go with another route for the treatment of this not just let it run its course though.

storkradio193
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I agree, it is not about the new healthcare laws.  When it comes to children, judges have always made rulings when potentially life-saving care is not accepted by parents.  The parent's rights to decide have to be articulated against the rights of the child (who cannot speak for him/herself).  The judge then decides.  This case is different than many similar cases when all healthcare is denied by the parents.  The family is clearly struggling with more nuances than just denying all care.  It is a difficult decision.

Quoting Thelmama:

I don't honestly get what this has to do with Obama care.  They didn't want to treatment because of the side effects. The doctor and nurse wanted to force it. The judge said no the parents and child had a right to determine what was right for the child's medical care and decisions.  Chemo is horrendus. They have a right to deny treatment when the treatment is causing more pain and suffering.  It it their right to choose as much as it is a woman's righ to choose what to do about a pregnancy or during pregnancy for tests and the like.  I honestly don't think this is related to Obamacare at all. The parents won their right to choose, as it should be. It doesn't matter if i would do differently. The child did not want the chemo either.

Quoting billsfan1104:

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM
4 moms liked this

I'm sorry the judge gave the girl a death sentence and the parents will now watch their daughter die instead of giving her life.  It is amazing on this board how many of the prolifers are okay with her parents sentencing her to certain death.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)