Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anybody Watching "Teach" on CBS?

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:30 PM
  • 11 Replies

I think this is GREAT!!! I've already gone to the Khan Academy site and looking it over!

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2013/09/cbs-teach-four-hero-teachers-making-an-impact-on-kids.html

CBS' 'Teach': Four hero teachers making an impact on kids

The actions of teachers unions - whether protecting bad teachers, protesting against politicians (or marching for them), and promoting education "reforms" that often seem more about social issues than the three Rs -- often capture the interest of the media, overshadowing the day-to-day work of teachers trying to do the best job they can.

In 2010, filmmaker Davis Guggenheim directed and co-wrote"Waiting for Superman," a documentary that took a frank look at the failures of the American educational system as it showed parents trying to get their children in charter schools.

Much of the media attention for the film focused on a segment that showed how teachers unions fiercely protect political alliances and policies and teachers' job security, often at the expense of needed financial overhauls.

In a two-hour special called "Teach,"airing Friday, Sept. 6, on CBS, Guggenheim puts the focus back on exceptional teachers, following four public-school instructors through the 2012-2013 school year.

The special also kicks off an 18-month campaign by production company Participant Media, in partnership with Teach.org, to urge students and recent graduates to go into teaching.

"I believe teachers are heroes and have the ability to make an incredible impact in the long-term future of our kids," says Guggenheim in a statement. "The airing of 'Teach' on CBS is another milestone in Participant's long-term commitment to raise the visibility of the teaching profession and support efforts to recruit the next generation of great educators."

•The teachers profiled are: Matt Johnson, a fourth-grade teacher at McGlone Elementary School in Denver; Shelby Harris, who teaches seventh- and eighth-grade math at Kuna Middle School in Kuna, Idaho; 10th-grade AP world-history teacher Joel Laguna at Garfield High in Los Angeles; and Lindsay Chinn, a ninth-grade algebra teacher at MLK Early College, Denver.

•All the educators featured strive for excellence, using conventional and unconventional methods.
Follow Zap2it on Twitter and Zap2it on Facebook for the latest news and buzz
Photo/Video credit: Newscom
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joyfree
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:31 PM

BUMP!

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I use Khan Academy. It's a great site, lots of useful videos. 

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Love Khan Academy. We used it when we were homeschooling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joyfree
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I'm on that website now! Very cool!

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I am playing on Kahn Academy right now. THANK you.  I am so happy I could kiss you. I am literally ready to cry I am so happy. I have trouble with math and helping my kids with math homewor has been such a challenge. This is going to help me help them and understand what they are doing. I have a learning disability in math. I could kiss YOU. THANK YOU

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh and I liked Teach I watched it.

joyfree
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

kissI'm on there, too!

Quoting Thelmama:

I am playing on Kahn Academy right now. THANK you.  I am so happy I could kiss you. I am literally ready to cry I am so happy. I have trouble with math and helping my kids with math homewor has been such a challenge. This is going to help me help them and understand what they are doing. I have a learning disability in math. I could kiss YOU. THANK YOU

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I had no idea how to help my kids with prime numbers...when I say this is going to change my life in helpoing my kids I mean it.  I didn't understand prime numbers and when it asked me to pick a prime number I had no idea. I could watch the video and LEARN. You an teach an old dog new tricks. LOL 

Please don't laugh too hard. I honestly had so much trouble with math when I was growing up. Back then there was no such thing as a learning disability. No help you just failed and failed until you squeaked by. The fact I can learn is so exciting I can't stand it.

RandRMomma
by Maya on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:03 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm going to check this out. This sounds very useful.
joyfree
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I know, and I'm not laughing at you, believe me! I just learned that any number to the zero power equals one... I was like, "Huh?" I don't even remember learning that in school...

I'm as happy as you are! this will help me AND my son! And it's FREE!!!!!

partydancing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured