Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Maternity Leave vs School kids bonus?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:13 AM
  • 3 Replies

Poll

Question: Which would you prefer?

Options:

6 mths paid Maternity Leave

twice yearly cash bonus for school age kids

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 3

View Results

Our election is today.  

For the past two years families with school aged kids got a cash bonus.  $400 for primary (elementary) $680 for high school.

This year it was paid out in two payments ...one before school starts and one in the middle of the school year.

It helped everyone...book retailers, schools, teachers and families.

Our maternity leave was three months paid leave paid at a flat rate of a basic salary / wage dollars.

Now the challenging government wants to scrap the school bonus to pay for and extend the maternity leave to 6mths and paying everyone at their normal pay rate up to 150K capped at 75K.

This means that those who are earning 150K can claim a paid maternity weekly pay cheque of up to and equivalent to a 75K weekly pay cheque.

Meanwhile everyone with school aged kids, the schools, the teachers and the book retailers all go down the gurgler...so that these women who meet these standards can claim their high pay cheque...who I may add are such a tiny TINY percentage of those going on maternity leave.

What do you ladies think should be a priority?

We are in for a bad 4 years :-(

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Liz_Rocket
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:15 AM
I'm sorry, I don't understand. Why would you get a bonus for school age kids? You mean like a tax break or something?
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Quoting Liz_Rocket:

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Why would you get a bonus for school age kids? You mean like a tax break or something?

sorry I had never done a poll before and it posted without me giving any insight behind the poll.

Ive edited it.

Liz_Rocket
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Well, that whole scenario stinks. I vote bonuses for kids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)