Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

LGBT Catholic: Finding Hope at World Youth Day

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:20 PM
  • 8 Replies

Finding Hope at World Youth Day

By Lauren Carpenter

If I had to pick one word to summarize my World Youth Day experience, it would be hope. I expected that going to World Youth Day would be going straight into the lion’s den because most of the attendees would be conservative Catholic youth who would either ignore us or argue with us. And indeed there were plenty of people who took the long way around to avoid us as we passed out prayer cards, or who “agreed to disagree” after long conversations. What I was not expecting were the many, many positive responses we got. People would see our banner and seek us out to say things like, “thank you for being here,” or “you are so brave,” or my personal favorite, “The church needs you; keep doing what you’re doing.” We had a group of young people from Ireland come up to us and say that there were nine of them there from their church group, and four of them were gay. They were amazed that an organization like Equally Blessed existed and want to start something in Ireland. We also had a lot of young people who would tell us that one of their best friends was gay, and took a copy of nearly every brochure that we had. We had a priest walk by who gave us a wink and a discrete thumbs-up. We even got an email from a young woman who found one of our cards on the ground at the hostel where she was staying and emailed us to see how she could get involved. There are so many more stories I could share like these.

One of the highlights for all of us was the moment that our group member Ellen got to ask a question of the Bishop during a Q & A. She pointed out the contradiction of being asked to minister to the marginalized while the Church marginalized her as a lesbian, and asked the Bishop his thoughts. After she asked the question, the church erupted in applause. I get chills just thinking about it because it was so unexpected and powerful. The applause of those young people showed us that they are hungry for dialogue. They want us to ask questions because they want their LGBT brothers and sisters to be welcome in the Church. They want to speak, but maybe have not found their voices yet. My hope is that on this pilgrimage, we helped give some pro-LGBT Catholics their voice. I think there are many young people in the Church who want to be supportive, but just have not found the voice to do so. I hope that by seeing an example of what it means to be an LGBT Catholic or ally, and by knowing that entire organizations of people exist who support LGBT Catholics, they will find their voice and join our movement, even if it just means speaking up when they hear friends, youth ministers, or parish priests say harmful things about LGBT people.

I also pray that our experience can be an inspiration for all of you. I know many of you in the Dignity community have devoted your entire lives to this work, and you should know that, in my opinion, there is reason for hope.

by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anna92464
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM

:)  I was delighted to find this article posted in a group called Dignity USA.   Dignity USA is a Catholic lay group who works with and support LGBT Catholic people.   There is also another group called Courage, but I don't quite like their agenda because they push celibacy instead of monogomous loving relationships.  Of course I know there are going to be the same tired arguements against this.  And I will be chastised and have my character assasinated by my traditionalist brothers and sisters for posting it. They will even say that I'm not really Catholic. They are wrong.  But I want people to know that they only represent a small minority of the Catholic Church.  Change will happen because God loves ALL people.  As the magesterium of the Church comes to understand, the Catechism will change to reflect that.  I know that many won't have anything to do with the Church right now and I respect that.  But as a mother to a Trans child, I have learned much and am following and trusting is Christ to help bring about change and work for the day when ALL people are treated with dignity in the Church, and the day Love rules rather than power with a corrupt  Magesterium.  

candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:37 PM
3 moms liked this

All people are treated with dignity in the Church.  They don't kick out homosexuals or lesbians.   They just expect the same from them as they do from hetrosexuals.   To live a chaste life if you are not married.  

Quoting Anna92464:

:)  I was delighted to find this article posted in a group called Dignity USA.   Dignity USA is a Catholic lay group who works with and support LGBT Catholic people.   There is also another group called Courage, but I don't quite like their agenda because they push celibacy instead of monogomous loving relationships.  Of course I know there are going to be the same tired arguements against this.  And I will be chastised and have my character assasinated by my traditionalist brothers and sisters for posting it. They will even say that I'm not really Catholic. They are wrong.  But I want people to know that they only represent a small minority of the Catholic Church.  Change will happen because God loves ALL people.  As the magesterium of the Church comes to understand, the Catechism will change to reflect that.  I know that many won't have anything to do with the Church right now and I respect that.  But as a mother to a Trans child, I have learned much and am following and trusting is Christ to help bring about change and work for the day when ALL people are treated with dignity in the Church, and the day Love rules rather than power with a corrupt  Magesterium.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I just want to tell you that you are indeed a breath of fresh and very welcome air.  Usually, the air is sucked out of every conversation, every article, posted that has to do with the Catholic church. 

I admire your stance.  Your faith, your standing firm and tall in what you believe.

While I wish the Church would realize many things, I honestly gave up long ago.  I have no hope that the Church will ever change their stance on situations they have been hard and fast on for many years.  

The Catholic faith is not some thing I could ever be a part of again.  Not just for this reason.  This is not to say, however, that I feel you are any less a true Catholic than others who believe they are and you are not.  You shine like a beacon for many.  

I may have to take a peek at the organizations you mentioned.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Quoting candlegal:

All people are treated with dignity in the Church.  They don't kick out homosexuals or lesbians.   They just expect the same from them as they do from hetrosexuals.   To live a chaste life if you are not married.  

Quoting Anna92464:

And because the Church will never regonize a 'marriage' between the same gender, having sex after marriage doesn't count for them.

The expectation of the Church is for those who are gay to ensure they never act on the person they are, yet be who the Church believes they must be.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this
That was beautiful to read. :-)

I too am Catholic AND Pro-LGBT.

HUGS!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anna92464
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

That was beautiful to read. :-)

I too am Catholic AND Pro-LGBT.

HUGS!

Hugs back to you!  :)

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes all are treated with dignity in the Church and I'm sure this organization was as well. Personally I think the above is nothing more then GLBT propaganda trying to lead people to believe homosexuality is widely accepted by even the most faithful. Benedict was very engaged with the youth and as a result we are now seeing a tremendous growth of young people fully embracing the Church and Magestrium.
Quoting candlegal:

Quoting Anna92464:

candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:22 AM
2 moms liked this

I would be willing to bet you are right.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Yes all are treated with dignity in the Church and I'm sure this organization was as well. Personally I think the above is nothing more then GLBT propaganda trying to lead people to believe homosexuality is widely accepted by even the most faithful. Benedict was very engaged with the youth and as a result we are now seeing a tremendous growth of young people fully embracing the Church and Magestrium.
Quoting candlegal:

Quoting Anna92464:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN