Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Can you be blind and own a gun? Yes! Eye sight not necessary ...

Posted by   + Show Post
Iowa Issues Gun Permits To The Blind, Allowing Them To Carry In Public
Ryan GrenobleThe Huffington PostSep 08, 2013
In a move sure to leave gun safety advocates scratching their heads, Iowa is issuing gun permits to the blind.

The permits allow legally blind applicants to purchase weapons and carry them in public. Per state law, any attempt to deny an Iowan these rights based on physical ability would be illegal, reports the Des Moines Register.

"When you shoot a gun, you take it out and point and shoot, and I don't necessarily think eyesight is necessary," said Michael Barber, a blind man interviewed by The Register at a gun store in Iowa last month.

The issue has also vexed local sheriffs -- the authorities tasked with reviewing applications -- with some in full support of the measure, and others against.

Explains Delaware County Sheriff John LeClere, "If you see nothing but a blurry mass in front of you, then I would say you probably shouldn't be shooting something.”

Counters Cedar County Sheriff Warren Wethington, who has a legally blind daughter, “If sheriffs spent more time trying to keep guns out of criminals’ hands and not people with disabilities, their time would be more productive.”

Iowans have always been able to carry a firearm in private, but a new law passed in 2011 extends that right to the public sphere while placing no limits on physical ability.

Federal law, in tandem with the Gun Control Act of 1968, also does nothing to limit the legally blind from owning a gun, leaving that issue for states to sort out individually. Kansas, for instance, altered their laws in 2010 to prohibit issuing concealed carry permits to anyone "suffering a physical infirmity which prevents the safe handling of a weapon."

In January of this year, shortly after the Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting, blind singer Stevie Wonder offered his thoughts on gun control in an interview with CNN's Piers Morgan. “Imagine me with a gun," he said. "It’s just crazy.”

READ more of this story at The Desmoines Register.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Replies (41-50):
lga1965
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:56 AM
In the past if I ever used Wikipedia, you guys would tell me it's not a reliable source and bash my post. Now ,you use Wikipedia and everything is just perfect.....
I don't understand this.

Why would I want to look up Iowa gun law. I don't care. But I do care that anyone can own a weapon. It's just insane.
Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting lga1965:

I am so not surprised that you are all in favor of blind people owning guns 'cause you are a gun owner and your gun posts are ridiculous. You're just a regular Annie Oakley. And special.

OMG your source is Wikipedia! Holy moly!

Quoting yourspecialkid:

You can be legally blind and still be able to see well enough to fire a gun or even drive a car.  My high school band director was legally blind and he put together award winning marching band drills.

In North America and most of Europe, legal blindness is defined as visual acuity (vision) of 20/200 (6/60) or less in the better eye with best correction possible. This means that a legally blind individual would have to stand 20 feet (6.1 m) from an object to see it—with corrective lenses—with the same degree of clarity as a normally sighted person could from 200 feet (61 m). In many areas, people with average acuity who nonetheless have a visual field of less than 20 degrees (the norm being 180 degrees) are also classified as being legally blind. Approximately ten percent of those deemed legally blind, by any measure, have no vision. The rest have some vision, from light perception alone to relatively good acuity. Low vision is sometimes used to describe visual acuities from 20/70 to 20/200.[3]

By the 10th Revision of the WHO International Statistical Classification of Diseases, Injuries and Causes of Death, low vision is defined as visual acuity of less than 20/60 (6/18), but equal to or better than 20/200 (6/60), or corresponding visual field loss to less than 20 degrees, in the better eye with best possible correction. Blindness is defined as visual acuity of less than 20/400 (6/120), or corresponding visual field loss to less than 10 degrees, in the better eye with best possible correction.[4][5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindness

You can look up the same info elsewhere if you prefer.

If YOU had bothered to read the actual requirements for Iowa, you would have learned they still have to take classes.  Part of the class is shooting.  If they can't pass the class, they can't apply for a permit.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaBerg85
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:59 AM
I see your point but if ur walking around with a blind man's cane and a gun I'm sorry my kids and I will be walking a new direction.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

You can be legally blind and still be able to see well enough to fire a gun or even drive a car.  My high school band director was legally blind and he put together award winning marching band drills.

In North America and most of Europe, legal blindness is defined as visual acuity (vision) of 20/200 (6/60) or less in the better eye with best correction possible. This means that a legally blind individual would have to stand 20 feet (6.1 m) from an object to see it—with corrective lenses—with the same degree of clarity as a normally sighted person could from 200 feet (61 m). In many areas, people with average acuity who nonetheless have a visual field of less than 20 degrees (the norm being 180 degrees) are also classified as being legally blind. Approximately ten percent of those deemed legally blind, by any measure, have no vision. The rest have some vision, from light perception alone to relatively good acuity. Low vision is sometimes used to describe visual acuities from 20/70 to 20/200.[3]

By the 10th Revision of the WHO International Statistical Classification of Diseases, Injuries and Causes of Death, low vision is defined as visual acuity of less than 20/60 (6/18), but equal to or better than 20/200 (6/60), or corresponding visual field loss to less than 20 degrees, in the better eye with best possible correction. Blindness is defined as visual acuity of less than 20/400 (6/120), or corresponding visual field loss to less than 10 degrees, in the better eye with best possible correction.[4][5]

.OceanBlue.
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I agree.  My mother was legally blind for almost a year until she received cornea transplants, but with glasses she could see well enough to both drive and to aim & fire a gun. 

Quoting yourspecialkid:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Right!

and people using someone they know as evidence that it's acceptable is just ridiculous! My son goes to school with a young boy who is legally bling but can see some. He uses a cane and can she blurry shapes but mot much else

he should NOT own a GUN! that's just ridiculous

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Stevie Wonder stated it perfectly. Enough said.

"It’s just crazy.”

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I just do not understand when it comes to guns, common sense goes out the window. This really should be a no-brainer.

Oh- but of course- they have to pass a test. Let's let the blind guy practice using his gun first before we say it's okay or not. ROTFL

I don;t mean to laugh but seriosuly it is so fucking ridiculous- if I don;t laugh I just might cry.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Right!

and people using someone they know as evidence that it's acceptable is just ridiculous! My son goes to school with a young boy who is legally bling but can see some. He uses a cane and can she blurry shapes but mot much else

he should NOT own a GUN! that's just ridiculous

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Stevie Wonder stated it perfectly. Enough said.

"It’s just crazy.”

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Exactly.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

As I said in the other thread........if you can't legally drive you certainly should not be legally allowed to own a gun.

SMH

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Common sense is not so common in the USA-

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Shit! And that's all I have to say about this!
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Duck and cover! lol

Duck and cover! lol Quoting Healthystart30:

Shit! And that's all I have to say about this!

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

To begin with, I doubt many gun store owners make a lot of money selling guns to legally blind people.  Why don't you do a google search and find out how many legally blind people own guns?  I'll guarantee you it would be next to few, very few, or none.

And once again your lack of even rudimentary gun laws is astounding.  Gun store owners are not responsible, for keeping some one who has a legal permit from getting a gun, unless the person is obviously crazy or maybe they are starting to stockpile them.  They are not ignoring the state law or gun safety by selling a gun to a legally blind person.  If the state says the guy qualifies for a permit, then that is all the store owner has to confirm.

Why don't you ask carpy who, as a gun store owner, about the laws in regard to the owner's responsibilites.  I'm sure you could get a world of educational info, then you might not keep making such uninformed responses all of the time.

You know there are lots of legally blind people walking around pretty well with corrective lenses.  You wouldn't even know they are 'legally' blind. 

Quoting lga1965:

They have benefitted from the laws and obviously have ignored gun safety.....legally blind people owning guns? Insane.

Quoting grandmab125:

Why do you always make ridiculous comments on guns, when you know nothing about them?

Gun store owners have nothing to do with gun laws.  It is the state that makes the laws.

Quoting lga1965:

The gun merchants in Iowa have lost their minds due to greed, it seems.

grandma B

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)