Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Transgendered college student showering with young girls on swim team?

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 551 Replies
So in this facebook group I am in a mom is concerned about her daughters (between the ages of 6 and 16) who have been on a swim team that practices at the university there for several years. Recently, her daughters told her that now there is a college male (not on the swim team) in there showering and changing with them. After contacting people at the school about it she learned that he is transgendered and legally allowed to shower and change in the girls locker room with the young girls.

What are your thought on this situation?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:04 AM
16 moms liked this
I really don't care. Nudity is not a big thing in our family, and as long as everyone is keeping their hands and other parts to themselves I could care less. Transgender doesn't equal pedophile.
JackandJayne
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:07 AM
25 moms liked this

He has a penis, he uses the room meant for people with a penis. That's my opinion. I wouldn't allow my daughter to shower and change with a swinging ****.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:08 AM
8 moms liked this
I understand that nudity isn't a big deal in your family, but this woman's daughters are uncomfortable taking their clothes off around a naked person with "boy parts." Do their feelings matter?

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

I really don't care. Nudity is not a big thing in our family, and as long as everyone is keeping their hands and other parts to themselves I could care less. Transgender doesn't equal pedophile.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:09 AM
7 moms liked this
So it wouldn't bother you having a non-related 18-21 year old male that you don't know shower with your daughter who is anywhere from 6-16?

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erika9009
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:09 AM
4 moms liked this

I'd find another swim team.

The only way I would feel OK with that is if I was there in the locker room.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:10 AM
7 moms liked this
I wouldn't be comfortable with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liastele
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:10 AM
2 moms liked this

The swim team cannot move to a new location? They cannot change time since this person enjoys the same schedule as them? Perhaps they could have an earlier practice?

In the end, student rights > people renting the space. The transgendered person has the right to be there - they go to school there. The swim time is free to change times or venue.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:12 AM
9 moms liked this
So aan established swim team has to rearrange their whole routine because one transgendered student decided he wants to shower specifically during that time?

Quoting Liastele:

The swim team cannot move to a new location? They cannot change time since this person enjoys the same schedule as them? Perhaps they could have an earlier practice?

In the end, student rights > people renting the space. The transgendered person has the right to be there - they go to school there. The swim time is free to change times or venue.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:13 AM
4 moms liked this
Of course it matters. And if I had girls or boys in this situation I would tell them to find a stall(shower or bathroom or changing) to use instead of changing in the common area.

Quoting AlekD:

I understand that nudity isn't a big deal in your family, but this woman's daughters are uncomfortable taking their clothes off around a naked person with "boy parts." Do their feelings matter?

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

Liastele
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:15 AM
7 moms liked this

No, they can CHOOSE to move their swim time if it bothers them. Students have first priority to campus facilities. Why should a student be put out because someone doesn't like sharing a locker room with them? If you don't like it, move. 

Quoting AlekD:

So aan established swim team has to rearrange their whole routine because one transgendered student decided he wants to shower specifically during that time?

Quoting Liastele:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured