Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Have you ever seen a parent attack a teacher -- verbally or physically?

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:24 AM
  • 26 Replies

Kindergarten Teacher Beat Up by Student's Enraged Mom

by Julie Ryan Evans

kindergarten classroomThere are protective parents, and then there are moms like Simone Baker, who allegedly brutally assaulted her son's kindergarten teacher last week. According to reports, the 24-year-old mother was upset about a scratch on her son she believed happened when his teacher was disciplining him. So she charged up to Truman Elementary School in Kansas City to handle the matter herself ... in a very personal manner.

According to the Kansas City Star, Baker, who has since been charged with assault, called the school to complain, and told the principal she was heading that way. The principal told her not to come, but it did little good, and Baker was in the classroom before anyone could stop her.

"You better not touch my kid again," she reportedly said upon entering the classroom. Then things got really ugly.

According to police reports obtained by the paper, Baker "ran behind the desk where the teacher was seated and hit her five to 10 times in the face while holding the teacher’s arm to her side. She then grabbed the teacher by her hair, pulled her out of her chair and slammed her head against a file cabinet twice before running out of the classroom and leaving the building."

All this in a kindergarten classroom. Thank God, school was out for the day, and no children were present. The teacher was taken to the hospital and released, so at least she doesn't appear to have suffered any serious physical injuries. Still, it's horrifying to think of this happening in a school. 

There are times when I understand a parent's rage that leads to violence against someone -- like the recent case of the dad who beat his 5-year-old daughter's rapist to death -- but for something like a scratch, this sounds like a major overreaction ... to say the least.

While this is an extreme case, teachers being victimized by parents isn't as rare as we might hope. The paper cited a 2010 survey that said about 50 percent of the 4,700 teacher participants reported some type of victimization (including obscene remarks and gestures, verbal threats and physical attacks) within the previous year, with about 18 percent of the incidents involving parents. How truly sad.

Have you ever seen a parent attack a teacher -- verbally or physically?

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I was a substitute teacher for many years in three different states and worked almost full-time in a fourth and yes, even 15 years ago there were always 'those parents' you get warned about. Heck at the last school there was actually a restraining order against one woman but it was because she came onto the elementary school playground and threatened to beat up her granddaughter's best friend after they got into  spat.

tiafez
by New Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I've seen wrestling parents charge refs and coaches in the middle of full gyms so it doesn't suprise me to know parents would also attack teachers. People need to stop and think before they react.

lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:35 AM
A teacher? No. Daycare provider? yes. lol I've worked in a daycare since I was 20. I myself have been verbally attacked... for being too young. idk what was wrong with the parent. lol HER child got in trouble, so we called to inform her. She comes to pick him up & goes bat andshit crazy telling me she can't take anything I say seriously because she has a child my age, and what do I know about children, and how I shouldn't work at a daycare. Crazy. She went to the director, the director told her I was one of her most valued employees and would not have her talk to me that way ever again. lol
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I haven't ever seen a parent attack a teacher, verbally or physically, but I've heard it happens.  I don't know what the parent is trying to accomplish by doing that--it certainly does no good for their kid!  Some parents don't seem to have grown up enough themselves to be able to exercise self control.  

I've occasionally found myself at odds with my school system, but have always been polite and professional even when I was supernova levels of angry/upset.  And it's paid off big time.   

donnag013
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I have been on the receiving end more times than I can count. I teach special ed, the majority of my career with emotionally handicaped students. We have a saying: "Tree - apple. Apple - tree". The students that come to me from other schools often have a parent who has a restraining order at that school. I was once threatened by a boy's father who had just gotton out of prison for assault.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I worked in child care and was verbally attacked on 3 occasions i can remember. I was the family out reach coordinator so whenever there was a major problem I was part of the conversation.

Once a child had pin worms and the parent thought it was because of how we stored diaper wipes. The other two times it was after a child was bitten.

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Yep. In middle school, we had this horrible, racist cunt for a teacher. She was mean as hell to any kid that was not black. She had a habit of smacking the white kids on the back of the head. She hit me so hard one day, that my contact fell out. One day, she decided to smack one of the boys in the back of the head, and call him some colorful terms with 'white boy' and 'cracker' added to them. When he told her to knock off the disrespect, she actually told him that she could do what she wanted, and he could not stop her. His father was at the school the next day to complain. Horrible woman happened to walk by as he was talking to the principal, and she decided to get cheeky face to face. And his dad came unglued. Was yelling at her, telling her that she had an ugly soul, and ended it with a promise that if he heard she hit another kid, he would come up to the school and take care of it. 

Someone made a comment a few years ago on FB about her dying, and most of the comments were along the lines of, "Impossible. Evil can't be killed."  

Was it wrong of him to let her get him that riled up? Probably. But she did not hit us again for the rest of the year.

mamaBerg85
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:08 AM
I will verbally attack a teacher at the very least if I think they are harming my child or not following the IEP plan. I have told teachers and other people that are involved in mt kids iep that I think they are wrong. I have told them everything they are doing is wrong. I talked to avdocates before had and told that I am right about my child's IEP before going in and telling the teacher they are in the wrong here.
lga1965
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:33 AM
No, not in all the years I was a parent with kids in school ( my.kids are in their 40's now )
Parents attacking teachers or teachers attacking parents....all of the hostility lately kind of shocks and disturbs me. Society in general is becoming more aggressive and lacking in self control.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Nope, but I've gotten so angry at a teacher that I had a hard time speaking in English. Never did I think about going down to that school to beat her up! I did the right thing and she didn't return the following school year.
This woman is nuts! She is teaching her son that violence solves things, and now she is probably going to prison. Great job mom....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN