Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Instead of getting a tip, this Red Lobster employee received **UPDATE, the customer speaks

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM
  • 87 Replies

**UPDATE

Red Lobster ‘None N*gger’ Customer Receiving Threats, Denies Writing Racial Slur

Via WSMV's Josh DeVine

Via WSMV’s Josh DeVine

Whoopsie! For those of you following the story of the Red Lobster server, Toni Jenkins, who was left a receipt with no tip and a racial epithet, it turns out the name of the customer was printed on the receipt, in addition to his signature, and has spread around the Internet. That exposure of confidential information is why the server had to be suspended. The suspension didn’t last through the week; in fact the server is back to her regular schedule, not having missed a day of work. The customer, however, isn’t happy.

The restaurant claims they have their employee’s back. A spokesman told the publicationConsumerist that:

We were in constant communication with her over the past several days and have extended her a high degree of respect and caring for what happened. No one should have to endure what our employee went through last weekend.

The customer — now known to be Devin Barnes — also had something to say, but he said it through his lawyer. Attorney Richard Dugger provided NBC News  with an apology letter from Barnes that he said was handwritten by the young man. In it, Barnes said he wrote ‘none’ on the ‘tip’ line and signed the receipt, but did not write the racial slur in the ‘total’ category. In his opinion, someone else wrote the slur after he left. He also wrote:

I do not approve of the use of that type of talk, not now or ever!!!

Attorney Dugger added:

Whoever put that on that receipt was very wrong. Just as putting that receipt on the World Wide Internet was wrong. Two wrongs never make a right.

Dugger can be seen in the NBC interview here.

In her own defense, server Toni Jenkins told The New York Daily News that she didn’t intend to harm the guy. She posted the receipt to Facebook for her friends to see — but the danger in that action is exactly what resulted. Things go viral. Now both Jenkins and Barnes have received threats over the incident.

Jenkins added:

I can only imagine what he’s [Barnes'] going through because he’s on the other end. I don’t wish anything bad against him at all … I don’t want anymore drama in my life. I just want to go to work, get the money for a car and go to school … That’s all.

Unfortunately, lawyers are now involved — because one can only assume that Red Lobster felt obliged to call in their own, though they’ve yet to respond to the apology letter. While it would be some kind of happy ending for there to be no more drama, that’s probably not how it’s going to work out. Someone will need, or want, to sort out what really happened, now that two sides have been told. That sorting out could very well occur in a court of law, thanks to the pitfalls of Facebook.

If the rest of us aren’t taking notes yet, maybe it’s time to start.

Instead of getting a tip, this Red Lobster employee received "None N**ger" on the bill http://bit.ly/1854s6W

Red Lobster Waitress Receives Racist Note on Receipt; Story Goes Viral

Toni Christina Jenkins, a young Red Lobster waitress was the target of a racial slur left by a customer on a receipt, which she reported to management.

In the space for gratuity, the customer wrote “None, n**ger."

Christina showed the note to her boss, she says, and was assured she had done nothing wrong. But things changed when she posted it on Facebook.

The Franklin, Tenn., teen was only hoping for “some prayers and support,” her mom says, when she posted the hateful note on her Facebook page.

It went viral and sparked a great deal of outrage controversy, discussion, hoax theories and more racist comments. There were even reports she had been fired.

Toni graduated from high school a year early, her mother says, and is waiting tables to help put herself through medical school at Belmont University.

Monday, mom Tina Jenkins-Wilson told Radar that Red Lobster “let her go. They told her she could not return to work and that they were [investigating]."

"They didn’t tell her they were going to pay her. They didn’t say if they were going to punish the people that did it. They just said they were going to let her off.”

“It’s heartbreaking. She’s a nursing student who is trying to save up money so she can get back and forth to school. Waitressing is how she makes her money.”

UPDATE: The restaurant strongly refutes this.

A spokesperson for the restaurant tells THG: “Christina Jenkins has NOT been fired. In fact, she has not lost any days of work so far and is still scheduled to work this week as usual.”

“We are extremely disturbed by this situation and are currently investigating to determine exactly what happened. We take this extremely seriously."

"This kind of language is completely disgusting and has no place in our restaurant or anywhere else and we are committed to getting to the bottom of what happened as quickly as possible.”

That's very good to hear. In any event, it's unclear why the mom would be so confused or why the customer(s) left a note like that for the server.

Story developing ...

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Why are people such hateful assholes?!? :(
hippiemom45
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:30 PM

wow! :( 

D-Town
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM
5 moms liked this
After the last 3 or 4 of these coming out as fakes, I'm skeptical at the moment.
mopsmommy5
by New Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM
How awful! I can't even think of what else to say but I'm sorry!
SuperChicken
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I hope this is real because that man's name is clear on that receipt and this has now gone viral.  

Assuming it is real, I'm horrified that someone would do this.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I feel the same way. It's awful if it's true.

Quoting D-Town:

After the last 3 or 4 of these coming out as fakes, I'm skeptical at the moment.

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9                                                   My Blog

tanyainmizzou
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Don't buy it at all.

Handwriting and the pressure of the pen are totally different.

I bet she was stiffed because they were cheap assholes or she sucked as a waitress.

MommyDearest__
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM
That is sick. People are so cruel.
romalove
by Roma on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Quoting Luvnlogic:

Why are people such hateful assholes?!? :(

MommyDearest__
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Wow.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Don't buy it at all.

Handwriting and the pressure of the pen are totally different.

I bet she was stiffed because they were cheap assholes or she sucked as a waitress.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)