Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Anger over Pharmacy Policy to Not Serve Customers on Cell Phones

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:05 PM
  • 97 Replies
1 mom liked this

Anger over Pharmacy Policy to Not Serve Customers on Cell Phones

article image

When Sandy Kaye of Melbourne, Australia dropped off her prescription for antibiotics at a pharmacy in Darwin, she was the only customer in the store. Despite the lack of a queue, Kaye waited … and waited … until finally 20 minutes had gone by with no sign of her prescription.

Said Kaye, "I'm thinking: 'Has she gone to Timbuktu to get this?’"

When Kaye finally returned to the pharmacy counter to find out what was going on, she was told that the store’s policy was not to serve customers while they spoke on their mobile phone.

Said Kaye about the staff member who denied service, "She glared at me and said 'we're not serving you until you get off the phone — we don't do that here'."

The incident occurred at Value Plus Discount Pharmacy in Darwin's Smith St Mall. Kaye was in town for a conference, and was speaking to a friend in Los Angeles, Calif. as she handed her prescription to pharmacy staff. According to Kaye, her phone conversation was necessary for work.

One pharmacist, identified as “Effie,” told Australian news outlet NT News that the pharmacy did not have an official policy against serving people on the phone, but that the staff member was only trying to avoid a breach in confidentiality.

Stated Effie, "We don't have a problem with people speaking on the phone. You can't talk to them in front of other customers, or if someone on other end of phone hears, she can sue us … She could have sued us for talking about her private details."

Kaye, who unleashed a curse word while exiting the pharmacy, said, “If she wanted to discuss something with me she could've approached me … I don't know what happened to the customer being right.”

One NT News reader, identified only as G Nit, weighed in on the matter, saying, "Go home Sandy! Darwin has no space for you and your rudeness. More power to the shops and their workers! Darwin is pretty laid back but talking on phone while being served by anyone is just rude. "

Sources: NT News, Newsvine

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rfurlongg
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:29 PM
17 moms liked this
That policy makes perfect sense. If a pharmacist is trying to help you the least you can do it be respectful and give them your attention.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:32 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree, if they can't expose any information of yours to anyone else, then the person on the phone call is no exception!

Shoota
by Lauren on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that this is incredibly rude. I get people at my job that try to talk to me and talk on their phone at the same time. It is so disrespectful.

rotPferd
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree. A customer expects my full attention, I should have the same in return.

ShannaBee
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:36 PM
I agree, same here. I do have some people who tell the person on the other line to hold on and set their phones down, though. But it gets aggravating having someone trying to juggle two conversations at once.

Quoting Shoota:

I think that this is incredibly rude. I get people at my job that try to talk to me and talk on their phone at the same time. It is so disrespectful.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:42 PM
3 moms liked this

people seriously need to put down their phones for 5 seconds a day!

IhartU
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

When I was a cashier, I used to stand there and wait until they put the phone down and then start ringing up their purchases. I mean, I can't greet you and do MY damn job like I'm supposed to if you won't give me the same courtesy and get the hell off your phone for the 5 minutes it takes for me to cash you out.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:58 PM

This

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

people seriously need to put down their phones for 5 seconds a day!

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I have no problem with such a policy.

I would not mind having such a policy in any place of business.

It is rude to be on the phone and expect any type of service.

I know that I will not approach some one and see what it is they need if they are standing there talking on their phone. 

casseopeia
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

hahahaha  Here in CA you get used to dealing with people who are on their phones all the time.  It's a way of life here.  Everyone has to do several things at once.  I had a boss yell at me because I said i would not talk to him on the hone while I was driving to a jobsite because I didn't have a hands-free device.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)