Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Transgender...ASK QUESTIONS HERE

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM
  • 106 Replies
4 moms liked this

There seems to be some confusion and misunderstandings when it comes to transgender individuals. This is understandable given how it is not the norm. So I wanted to open up a Q&A thread for those who have questions. I will reply to the ones that I can and I'm sure the other transgender knowledgeable individuals will too (since there are a few on here). To get started I will give the American Psychological Association's stance:

Transgender is an umbrella term for persons whose gender identity, gender expression, or behavior does not conform to that typically associated with the sex to which they were assigned at birth. Gender identity refers to a person’s internal sense of being male, female, or something else; gender expression refers to the way a person communicates gender identity to others through behavior, clothing, hairstyles, voice, or body characteristics. “Trans” is sometimes used as shorthand for “transgender.” While transgender is generally a good term to use, not everyone whose appearance or behavior is gender-nonconforming will identify as a transgender person. The ways that transgender people are talked about in popular culture, academia, and science are constantly changing, particularly as individuals’ awareness, knowledge, and openness about transgender people and their experiences grow.

Sex is assigned at birth, refers to one’s biological status as either male or female, and is associated primarily with physical attributes such as chromosomes, hormone prevalence, and external and internal anatomy. Gender refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviors, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for boys and men or girls and women. These influence the ways that people act, interact, and feel about themselves. While aspects of biological sex are similar across different cultures, aspects of gender may differ.

Edit: I wanted to add a section about children since there are so many misconceptions in the pregnant man in Germany thread. Just because a transman has a child does not mean he isn't a man. A lot of transmen go through lots of inner turmoil over having to do something so feminine in order to have children. If they want children they really have no choice since adoptions are so expensive. It isn't their fault they have a uterus instead of a penis.
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!

little.worthen
by Tess on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:48 PM
So is someone who has gone through all the surgeries and hormones to become the opposite sex of whatever they were still considered transgender or are they just a man or just a woman?
Also, if they stop taking the hormones, is it like going through menopause? Of different?
little.worthen
by Tess on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Btw I didn't even see the other posy
purpleducky
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:12 PM
It depends on who you ask. If you ask me, I will say I am a man. I am pre-op but present as male 100% of the time. But I do know some post-op people who still say they are transgender.

As for female to male hormone replacement therapy, if one stops and sti has their ovaries, then they will revert to how they were before hormonally. Most physical changes would remain though. If the person no longer has ovaries, they are like post-menopausal women hormonally.

Quoting little.worthen:

So is someone who has gone through all the surgeries and hormones to become the opposite sex of whatever they were still considered transgender or are they just a man or just a woman?

Also, if they stop taking the hormones, is it like going through menopause? Of different?
AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

No questions just now, but I wanted to offer a hug because I know your road has not been smooth.

bluerooffarm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM

This needs bumped!!

terpmama
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Bump
Anna92464
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM

What about a child who says they are a boygirl?  Would you call them transgender?

purpleducky
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Yes. Gender fluid is transgender too.

Quoting Anna92464:

What about a child who says they are a boygirl?  Would you call them transgender?

Anna92464
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Thank you for clearing that up for me. :)  

Quoting purpleducky:

Yes. Gender fluid is transgender too.

Quoting Anna92464:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN