Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Activist: Case spotlights risks of ignoring truth about ‘gay’ sex

Posted by   + Show Post

Activist Peter LaBarbera says a recent case in Missouri points to the dangers of the homosexual lifestyle – and the peril of ignoring the truth about that lifestyle.

The case involves 37-year-old David Mangum who is charged with recklessly infecting his 29-year-old partner with HIV. According to court documents filed in Stoddard County Circuit Court, he also may have infected as many as 300 other men in Missouri and Texas since learning in 2003 that he had the infection. Mangum reportedly told police he hid that fact from his partners for fear they would reject him. His bond was set at $250,000.

LaBarbera, PeterPeter LaBarbera, who heads Americans for Truth About Homosexuality, suggests political correctness is blinding people from the truth about the dangers of homosexual sex.

“What's so sad about homosexuality is the dangers are obvious – they’re out there,” he tells OneNewsNow. “The CDC reports on the tremendous health hazards associated with male homosexuality, and yet the whole political establishment pretends that this is just an alternate lifestyle and that homosexuality is just okay.”

The pro-family activist emphasizes the need to be especially concerned about young people who are being encouraged by those in the lifestyle to think it’s okay when in fact it’s not.

“We have to fear for our young men who are many times seduced into this lifestyle,” he warns. “And as we see from this story, [those young men] are in danger of contracting HIV. The fact is that young males are one of the fastest-growing groups associated with HIV.”

LaBarbera believes the phenomenon of homosexual men not telling the truth about their HIV status is common – and while infecting 300 men isn’t common, he explains there is a subculture within the culture that practices frequent promiscuity.

LaBarbera suggests it's time to stop pretending there are no risks with homosexual conduct.

source
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Replies (221-229):
Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Such tripe.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:22 PM
2 moms liked this

sidesplittinglaughter

Okay: second huge belly laugh of the day.

Thank you!!

Quoting lga1965:

I think this is going to go way over the OP's head. It's too complex.

Quoting LindaClement:

The other rather important point to be made about the whole issue is illustrated in this question, fielded by the Kinsey Institute:

'My husband and I have been married since 1946 and want to try anal sex, but we're worried about getting AIDS, what can we do to prevent it, or should we just not?'

Quoting romalove:

OP, here's the deal.

I agree that male homosexual sex is more likely to transmit blood borne diseases because of the way the anatomy works.  Of course, that would apply to anal if heterosexuals are doing that, but I digress.

The point isn't that this is more likely to happen so they should stop, but they should stop the promiscuous behavior that gives them HIV in the first place.  That includes needle sharing and sleeping around with a great deal of people.  

Committed drug-free couples of any sort have the least potential for transmitting diseases including HIV.

The activist should be focusing on that.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Cite it.  Give me the link or the web address please, after quoting the relevant part here. 

Unless you are just making it up.

Quoting kailu1835:

CDC baby 😊

Quoting TranquilMind:

Again....your source is?

Quoting kailu1835:

Let me repeat for you: Women (of all races) now account for 43% of all HIV infected people over the age of 15.

43% is admittedly a fraction, but it is hardly small or inconsequential. If you consider that not all men who have or transmit HIV are gay, id say its a pretty equal portion.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Source? 

Even so, they are a tiny fraction of the number of infections spread by men, according to the CDC

Quoting kailu1835:

Black and Hispanic women combined equal less than a quarter of all U.S. women, but account for more than 76% of AIDS cases among women in this country. Women (of all races) now account for 43% of all HIV infected people over the age of 15.

Quoting TranquilMind:

So you are contending that the CDC stats are inaccurate?  And what is your refuting evidence?

Never quite sure what to do with nonsensical responses like yours.

Quoting kailu1835:

HIV is not the gay disease. Get over yourself.

Quoting TranquilMind:

I can't stand the intentional ignorance and the pretense that the spreading of this infection has nothing to do with behavior.

FROM THE CDC ITSELF (MSM = men having sex with MEN) so I think you can kind of see that the risks are far greater there:

Figure1: Estimated New HIV Infections in the United States, 2010, for the Most Affected Subpopulations
This bar chart shows the number of new HIV infections in 2010 for the most-affected sub-populations. The most new infections occurred among white men who have sex with men, or MSM, (11,200) followed by black MSM (10,600), Hispanic MSM (6,700), black heterosexual women (5,300), black heterosexual men (2,700), white heterosexual women (1,300), Hispanic heterosexual women (1,200), black male injection drug users, or IDU, (1,100) and black female IDU (850).

By Risk Group

Gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (MSM) of all races and ethnicities remain the population most profoundly affected by HIV.

• In 2010, the estimated number of new HIV infections among MSM was 29,800, a significant 12% increase from the 26,700 new infections among MSM in 2008.2

• Although MSM represent about 4% of the male population in the United States,4 in 2010, MSM accounted for 78% of new HIV infections among males and 63% of all new infections.2 MSM accounted for 52% of all people living with HIV infection in 2009, the most recent year these data are available.1

• In 2010, white MSM continued to account for the largest number of new HIV infections (11,200), by transmission category, followed closely by black MSM (10,600).2

Quoting survivorinohio:

Sex spreads HIV.  Not all people have that many partners and hetero men and women have just as much sex as do gays.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Dear god, trees, people!! Forget the Global Warming and trim the freakin' trees!

Hispanics/Latinos are also disproportionately affected by HIV.

• Hispanics/Latinos represented 16% of the population but accounted for 21% of new HIV infections in 2010 [2]. Hispanics/Latinos accounted for 19% of people living with HIV infection in 2009.1
  • Disparities persist in the estimated rate of new HIV infections in Hispanics/Latinos. In 2010, the rate of new HIV infections for Latino males was 2.9 times that for white males, and the rate of new infections for Latinas was 4.2 times that for white females.2
  • Since the epidemic began, more than 96,200 Hispanics/Latinos with an AIDS diagnosis have died, including 2,370 in 2010.3

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/statistics/basics/ataglance.html

Quoting TranquilMind:

Cite it.  Give me the link or the web address please, after quoting the relevant part here. 

Quoting kailu1835:

CDC baby 😊

Quoting TranquilMind:
 Again....your source is?
Quoting kailu1835:

Let me repeat for you: Women (of all races) now account for 43% of all HIV infected people over the age of 15.

43% is admittedly a fraction, but it is hardly small or inconsequential. If you consider that not all men who have or transmit HIV are gay, id say its a pretty equal portion.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Source? 

Even so, they are a tiny fraction of the number of infections spread by men, according to the CDC

Quoting kailu1835:

Black and Hispanic women combined equal less than a quarter of all U.S. women, but account for more than 76% of AIDS cases among women in this country. Women (of all races) now account for 43% of all HIV infected people over the age of 15.
Quoting TranquilMind:

So you are contending that the CDC stats are inaccurate?  And what is your refuting evidence?

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting TranquilMind:

I can't stand the intentional ignorance and the pretense that the spreading of this infection has nothing to do with behavior.
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Some of the information is in YOUR own link.  Although your link is talking about NEW cases in 2010, not total people infected.  For instance, in that year, women accounted for 1/5th of all new HIV infections (I'm not going to post the link because you already posted it).

My phone is dead and I'm on my computer.  When I responded earlier I was on my phone.  So you'll have to wait for it to charge before I can copy my other link here.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting kailu1835:

CDC baby 😊

Quoting TranquilMind:

Again....your source is?

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Source? 

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting TranquilMind:

FROM THE CDC ITSELF (MSM = men having sex with MEN) so I think you can kind of see that the risks are far greater there:

Figure1: Estimated New HIV Infections in the United States, 2010, for the Most Affected Subpopulations
This bar chart shows the number of new HIV infections in 2010 for the most-affected sub-populations. The most new infections occurred among white men who have sex with men, or MSM, (11,200) followed by black MSM (10,600), Hispanic MSM (6,700), black heterosexual women (5,300), black heterosexual men (2,700), white heterosexual women (1,300), Hispanic heterosexual women (1,200), black male injection drug users, or IDU, (1,100) and black female IDU (850).

By Risk Group

Gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (MSM) of all races and ethnicities remain the population most profoundly affected by HIV.

• In 2010, the estimated number of new HIV infections among MSM was 29,800, a significant 12% increase from the 26,700 new infections among MSM in 2008.2

• Although MSM represent about 4% of the male population in the United States,4 in 2010, MSM accounted for 78% of new HIV infections among males and 63% of all new infections.2 MSM accounted for 52% of all people living with HIV infection in 2009, the most recent year these data are available.1

• In 2010, white MSM continued to account for the largest number of new HIV infections (11,200), by transmission category, followed closely by black MSM (10,600).2

Quoting survivorinohio:

Sex spreads HIV.  Not all people have that many partners and hetero men and women have just as much sex as do gays.

babiesbabybaby development

Hi!  My name is Jenn!

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, when I'm on my phone I don't have that ability!  I know it's extremely frustrating!

Quoting LindaClement:

Dear god, trees, people!! Forget the Global Warming and trim the freakin' trees!

babiesbabybaby development

Hi!  My name is Jenn!

charliesmom777
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:53 AM

EVERY CULTURE HAS A SUBCULTURE THAT IS PROMISCUOUS!!  THERE ARE RISKS TO HAVING SEX NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE!!

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Anyone can become infected with HIV. EVERYONE needs to practice safe sex. Anyone can be diagnosed with HIV.

witchybabymomma
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 5:30 PM

seems to me this should be about unprotected sex not gay sex, this same thing happened to a very close friend of my moms. Her ex was infected by a woman who knew she had it and didn't tell him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)