Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

People who drink like fish and find fault with those who smoke marijuana irritate the heck out of me.

Alcohol is far more dangerous.

Drunkeness makes many loud, obnoxious, belligerent and reckless.  Do you think alcohol is a better mood altering drug than Mj?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Replies (21-30):
survivorinohio
by René on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Not true I know people who fully admit to needing their alcohol.  I know people who readily admit to needing narcotics.  I only know on who obviously feels need for mj and its based on observation I say that.  I believe she has underlying issue driving the psychological need that manifests itself in use of mj.

I am a smoker of cigarettes.  I have readily admitted my need for nicotine and the overwhelming power of that.  I know plenty of addicts and most will admit they need their drug.

Now admitting they are high can be another story altogether.

I know a whole lot of pot smokers that quit all the time for employment purposes.  Some smoke one week a mo and abstain the rest of the time.

Quoting happinessforyou:

Ok- here is the tricky part with any substance use: NOONE ever admits to "NEEDING" it. Every user says they can stop at any time....... doesn't matter what they are using. And everyone around them knows how far from the truth they are!   lol

Taking drugs to relieve cronic pain/cancer not included in my any of my replies.....

Quoting survivorinohio:

Out of the many people I know who partake of mj only one is dependant and feels any "need".  I know a lot of people who appreciate the benefits of it and that could translate to need.  An MS patient I know uses it frequently to control pain and other symptoms of his disease but thats an acceptable need, no?  A joint on friday night doesnt make anyone an addict either.  Thats my point.

Quoting happinessforyou:

If you "need" it all of the time you are addicted. I don't take illegal drugs, I usually don't even take an asprin. I can go months without alcohol. But yes, I can also drink a beer or 2 or a glass of wine here and there. But 10 drinks in 12 months hardly makes me an addict.

What is your point?

*trimmed*

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

happinessforyou
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Lets just agree to disagree. :)

Quoting survivorinohio:

Not true I know people who fully admit to needing their alcohol.  I know people who readily admit to needing narcotics.  I only know on who obviously feels need for mj and its based on observation I say that.  I believe she has underlying issue driving the psychological need that manifests itself in use of mj.

I am a smoker of cigarettes.  I have readily admitted my need for nicotine and the overwhelming power of that.  I know plenty of addicts and most will admit they need their drug.

I know a whole lot of pot smokers that quit all the time for employment purposes.  Some smoke one week a mo and abstain the rest of the time.

Quoting happinessforyou:

Ok- here is the tricky part with any substance use: NOONE ever admits to "NEEDING" it. Every user says they can stop at any time....... doesn't matter what they are using. And everyone around them knows how far from the truth they are!   lol

Taking drugs to relieve cronic pain/cancer not included in my any of my replies.....

Quoting survivorinohio:

Out of the many people I know who partake of mj only one is dependant and feels any "need".  I know a lot of people who appreciate the benefits of it and that could translate to need.  An MS patient I know uses it frequently to control pain and other symptoms of his disease but thats an acceptable need, no?  A joint on friday night doesnt make anyone an addict either.  Thats my point.

Quoting happinessforyou:

If you "need" it all of the time you are addicted. I don't take illegal drugs, I usually don't even take an asprin. I can go months without alcohol. But yes, I can also drink a beer or 2 or a glass of wine here and there. But 10 drinks in 12 months hardly makes me an addict.

What is your point?

*trimmed*

casseopeia
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:05 PM
2 moms liked this

As a bartender I had far more problems with drunks than with anyone who was high.

survivorinohio
by René on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

alcohol makes you forget as does heroin but weed doesnt make you forget.  It actually focuses me considerably as far as deeper thought goes.  I never have partaken in times of stress.  When my son was in a terrible accident I didnt partake for a month or so.  It is not helpful in such times IMO.  It does indeed help pain.

Ohio has decriminalized.

Quoting TranquilMind:

If you are actually using it for pain, in lieu of Advil or something, AND if it is legal there, you are fine.

Most people use alcohol and weed because they just want to forget things for a few hours.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Both are a mistake.  Anything you NEED to use to medicate yourself so you don't face your problems is a mistake. 

Ok, How does smoking a joint seperate one from their problems?

If I need to medicate myself it is to seperate from my pain not my problems.  Mj keeps me in better touch than say, percocet.

survivorinohio
by René on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Well thats not as stimulating as a good debate but I certainly cant force you to continue the conversation.

Have you know many addicts personally? 

Quoting happinessforyou:

Lets just agree to disagree. :)

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting happinessforyou:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting happinessforyou:

What is your point?

*trimmed*

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't care for either.  But boy, did I used to drink.....like that fish.

I would prefer those who take part in either do so with responsibility but we all know many do not.  

Being drunk can indeed be far worse, for some, than being stoned.  Depends on the person.  The same can be said for some one stoned versus some one drunk.

Generally, however, from what I have seen in life, a drunk is far worse than some one stoned.

I think smoking MJ, while legal, should be regulated much like drinking is in the sense of where, when and driving.

But then, we all know many people disregard any legalities any way.

katy_kay08
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I think neither are a great option and based on my neighbor's, loud, obnoxious and belligerent attitude I would say pot also can make one act like a douchebag.  

D.O.E.
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:56 PM
i use mj to help me with mood swings, depression and irritability, i could take pills for kind of the same result, but the side affects are much worse, and if you dont take your pills, you really do go crazy instead of just a little bit bitchy.
Quoting ProudMommaBear:

I'm not going to argue but it is emotionally addictive. Not physically like most other things but emotionally it can be. Some people use it so much they feel they can not function without it and it becomes habitual.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting twinmom114:

I think any mind altering addiction is wrong.

Marijuana is not addictive.

ProudMommaBear
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Oh I know I wasn't talking about people who use it for medical reasons. I'm talking recreational users. I should have been more clear :/

Quoting D.O.E.:

i use mj to help me with mood swings, depression and irritability, i could take pills for kind of the same result, but the side affects are much worse, and if you dont take your pills, you really do go crazy instead of just a little bit bitchy.

Quoting ProudMommaBear:I'm not going to argue but it is emotionally addictive. Not physically like most other things but emotionally it can be. Some people use it so much they feel they can not function without it and it becomes habitual.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting twinmom114:

I think any mind altering addiction is wrong.

Marijuana is not addictive.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Quoting katy_kay08:

I think neither are a great option and based on my neighbors, loud, obnoxious and belligerent attitude I would say pot also can make one act like a douchebag.  

It certainly can.  I have seen it time and time again.  

An old boyfriend, from my early 20s.......he smoked often.  Too often.  He was lazy and had no motivation.  Concentrated more on ensuring he had his weed than much else.  It was sad to watch.  He moved away, stopped the pot and went on to grow up and lead a good life.  We re-connected a while ago.  He shared that, about two months ago, a friend came over and had some weed. His children, one adult one still in high school, were not with him that weekend so he made the choice to smoke...'for old times sake'.  Huge mistake.  He explained how his night went from them on and while it sounded like a comedy, he regretted his decision to smoke again.  

Any thing and every thing can have a different impact on different people.  No one who has smoked should ever get behind the wheel of a car.  I will never understand some one saying they are fine to drive when the whole point of pot is to some how change the way the mind and body work.  Why else would any one use it, for medical reasons or otherwise.  It may prove beneficial in many ways, but it impairs you, or hinders you, changes something within  you.  There is no doubt about that.

I do not care who smokes it.  As long as they are responsible in doing so, and when/if they are not they accept the possible consequences, have at it.  Not every one who smokes is a horrible person.  Not every one who drinks is a horrible person.  Whether they do it once in a blue moon or every day.  As long as the pot is kept off my door step.................the business of some one else is just that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN