Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where were you on 9/11?

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:03 AM
  • 73 Replies
1 mom liked this

I was watching the Today Show when they suddenly cut in to discuss a plane striking the WTC. I had a 16mo and a 5mo - the 16mo was eating her breakfast at the coffee table and said, "Oh no! It boom!" and pointed at the screen. I looked up from feeding my 5mo to see what happened. My husband called from work to ask if it was true because nobody at work believed it when a customer came in and told them. Just as they were speculating that maybe it was an equipment malfunction, the 2nd plane struck.... 

Where were you when the news broke on 9/11?

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:06 AM

At work at a newspaper. I was a reporter and unfortunately, I had to cover it. 

Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:09 AM
I was home sick sleeping when it happened found out around 12when I turned on the tv
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I was 8 months pregnant and woke up to the news showing the fire at the one tower and was watching as the 2nd plane hit...I was horrified

My mother called about 20 minutes later and said she had been trying to call the entire time but lines were jammed

My husband was in DE for work and the cops went through the building and said anyone that doesn't live in DE should leave as they were closing the bridges

All the businesses start closing around us as well

romalove
by Roma on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

In my car.  I rushed home and watched the Today show as well.  My sister worked across the street from WTC (she took the PATH into WTC every morning, and had been in the building 10 minutes before the first plane hit) and it was a horrible day of watching and waiting to see if she was OK.  She called me from a stairwell in the building after the planes hit but before the first building fell to tell me that they were being evacuated.  We couldn't get in touch with her again until the next day.

Being in NJ, I know far too many people personally touched.  I am friends with a 9/11 widow, know firefighters with PTSD who were in the buildings and both lost their partners, I know a firefighter who switched his days off with another guy and that guy died in the towers, my town lost four people.....

It's a horrific, sad, weighted, surrealistic, life-changing, never to be forgotten day.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I was in the Navy doing circles around the tiny island of Diego Garcia in Indian Ocean. We had no tv and only had internet when we circled the east side of the island. When the first plane hit, we had internet, and someone came into my comm shack and said the World Trade Center was on fire. 15 minutes later the official messages started coming in faster than I could collect them. I spent the next 12 hours sprinting up and down the stairs to the wheel house delivering the message traffic to my Lt. Commander and the Captain. People kept asking me what on earth I was doing, because they had no idea, the non-secure internet went out on the ship right as the second plane hit. I couldn't tell them anything, I just had to run. 

We were ordered back to Singapore for further orders within 12 hours and denied entry in Diego Garcia. We arrived and were ordered back out in three days, as was our sister ship. Turns out, they apprehended a terrorist cell in Singapore that had plans to blow up my ship, and had info on all of us, including photographs, time tables for docking and pulling out, mission orders, you name it. 

KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Driving to work hearing it on the radio. I left work soon after I got to go home and wait with my mom for my father to get home. It was so strange seeing the highway shit down and the big guns pointed at the sky. It took my father about nine hours to get home from DC that day. He spent about three looking for our neighbor who had take then train into town that morning.
dustinsmom1
by JENN on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I was in an out of houses reading meters. I kept seeing flashes on peoples tv, Finally one of my customers grabbed me and made me watch w hr for a few mins. I had to finish out my route that day and remember i kept checking the sky.

yankeefan828
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:17 AM
I was in New York
prommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I was home with my 3 year old son, the 5 year old was at school. My husband is in the Vermont Air National Guard, I was so horrified I called him to tell him what had happeneed. Of course he already knew, as soon as it happened they started scrambling jets to fly protective cover over New York and D.C. Looking back I know how foolish it was to call him, I think I just needed to feel safe for a second. He worked 7 days a week for 6 months, then he was given a day off a week for the next 6 months. We hardly saw him, 15 hour shifts became the norm. There are airplanes flying overhead constantly as I live pretty close to the airport but it got very quiet very quickly, the only sounds were the F-16's taking off and landing around the clock. I couldn't stop crying because I kept thinking of all the little children who would go home to the realization that mommy or daddy was dead.

Lunarprancer
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:19 AM

At home, getting ready for work.  I saw the second plane hit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured