Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

No More Junk Food with Food Stamps, Says Rep. Phil Roe

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM
  • 193 Replies
1 mom liked this

No More Junk Food with Food Stamps, Says Rep. Phil Roe

article image

A diet of cola, ice cream and cookies may sound like a fast track to obesity and diabetes, but under current laws, food stamps will pay for exactly that meal plan. Rep. Phil Roe (R-TN) is proposing a bill to change this, so that the government only pays for healthy, nourishing food.

This sudden interest in public health is curious given Roe’s previous resistance to Michelle Obama’s efforts to fight childhood obesity with the “Let’s Move!” program. However, his proposal mirrors similar efforts in states like Wisconsin and South Carolina.

Roe explains, “As a physician, I realize the importance of healthy eating, and as an obstetrician, I’ve seen how the WIC program helps empower families receiving assistance to use taxpayer dollars to purchase healthy, wholesome foods. By giving SNAP recipients more nutritious choices, we can take a meaningful step towards ending hunger in America.”

Under Roe’s proposal, people receiving benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, would need to follow the same nutritional guidelines as those receiving benefits from the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program. This means choosing whole-wheat bread over white, buying breakfast cereals with whole grains and limited sugar, and avoiding certain processed foods.

Opponents of the bill claim that junk food is cheaper, and that recipients may be forced to eat less if they must spend their limited funds on fresh, healthy foods.

However, obesity and poverty have long been related, at least partially because of the low cost of unhealthy foods. One-third of the total population of the United States is currently obese, and the Food Research and Research Center has reported a greater risk for low-income people.

Some also argue that many poor communities lack access to healthy foods, and that SNAP recipients may have limited options. While accessibility is surely an issue that needs to be addressed, it remains unclear if anyone will go hungry if not subsidized for soft drink and junk-food purchases.

Sources: Think Progress, USDA, FRAC

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heresjohnny
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM
10 moms liked this

It's a good idea in theory, but it'll never work out. Who gets to choose which items are allowed, and what criteria will they use for determining whether or not something is "junk"? It's a dangerous slippery slope. Once they start disqualifying foods from the list, they'll keep chopping 'till there's there's hardly anything left.

.OceanBlue.
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:23 PM
6 moms liked this

I think that as long as someone is a government dependent, the government has every right to tell them what they can & can't buy with their food stamps.  

I'm not posting & running on purpose ... I have a meeting and errands to run so I won't be around here until tomorrow. 

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM
9 moms liked this

You know how most ppl do not like to get behind WIC recipients b/c the time it takes for them to check out. Wrong items left and right. Grocery store computers not allowing right items. It's a real mess. With so many ppl being on FS and it some towns that means the majority of it's population. Grocery store, Walmart, & Target stores lines are going to get REAL long. I don't know about yall but I aint looking forward to that. Nor am I forward to the price of food going up b/c the stores have to pay more employee's to accommodate this mess. And that's not to mention the fact that ppls food stamps will need to be increased b/c of those higher prices.

tanyainmizzou
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Good idea, but it will never pass because too many people will whine their kids deserve ice cream and cookies at the cost of other people.

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:33 PM
4 moms liked this

And he'll be the first to whine about bloated government programs

tanyainmizzou
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

These lines are not going to get incredibly long.  Program the cards differently.  Texas has been using WIC on an EBT card.

Quoting ReginaStar:

You know how most ppl do not like to get behind WIC recipients b/c the time it takes for them to check out. Wrong items left and right. Grocery store computers not allowing right items. It's a real mess. With so many ppl being on FS and it some towns that means the majority of it's population. Grocery store, Walmart, & Target stores lines are going to get REAL long. I don't know about yall but I aint looking forward to that. Nor am I forward to the price of food going up b/c the stores have to pay more employee's to accommodate this mess. And that's not to mention the fact that ppls food stamps will need to be increased b/c of those higher prices.

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Card nor paper changes the issue I'm talking about. You just keep thinking this isn't going very negatively impact the lives of everyone else. Mark my words. 

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

These lines are not going to get incredibly long.  Program the cards differently.  Texas has been using WIC on an EBT card.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Jaliyah  My video here

LadyBugMom09
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with him. 

tanyainmizzou
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:43 PM
2 moms liked this

People get fed.   Sorry that they would have to choose whole grains instead of cases of junk.

If it makes the people healthier, are you saying an extra 5 minutes in line isn't worth it?   Yeah, this is all about letting people get whatever they want with their entitlement.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Card nor paper changes the issue I'm talking about. You just keep thinking this isn't going very negatively impact the lives of everyone else. Mark my words. 

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting ReginaStar:

Defiance
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:44 PM
9 moms liked this

I will openly admit that I recieve food stamps, and we buy organic food for a family of 4 with $233 from food stamps and roughly $100 more out of pocket.

I find extreme concern in "limiting junk food" because if they adopt WIC standards Organic/Non GMO food is a luxury, ect. We are a non meat eating family, we meet all the nutritional needs for our family, and do not want to be forced to eat food that goes against our bodies, posions us, has meat preoducts in it, ect. Dairy milk alternatives, gluten free, and nut alternatives...all of those things would be called into question as to if those are appropriate for people to buy. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)