Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Transgender man gives birth in Germany

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:09 AM
  • 313 Replies

A transgender man has given birth to his first child in Germany and wants to be registered as the baby's father.

A transgender man has given birth to his first child in Germany and wants to be registered as the baby's father.
The father had insisted on a home birth to avoid being listed as the mother on hospital documents - a German legal requirement Photo: Alamy

1:15PM BST 11 Sep 2013

Although the birth took place on March 18 of this year the news has only just come to light. The baby was born at home, in the Neukoellin district of Berlin, attended only by a midwife.

The father had insisted on a home birth to avoid being listed as the mother on hospital documents - a German legal requirement.

Although the father has been taking hormone replacement therapies for years he elected to retain the reproductive organs of a woman.

Because he physically gave birth to the child the unidentified man is seen as the mother, however by law he is recognised as a man.

In 2001 German law dropped the previous requirement for gender reassignment surgery in order to be lawfully recognised in a person’s perceived gender.

It was only in August of this year that Germany decided to include a ‘third gender’ option on birth certificates, where children born of indeterminate gender no longer have to be listed as either ‘male’ or ‘female’. Germany has been the first country in Europe to adopt this change.

The man’s request to appear as the father on the birth certificate has been granted, but his demand that the child’s gender not be released has been denied, according to the Daily Mail.

Authorities have overruled this and announced that the child in question is a boy. At the father's request however, details about the sperm donor or any possible relationship have been withheld to protect the child from attention.

Although this is the first child born to a transgender parent in Europe it is not the first world wide.

The American case of Thomas Beatie, a transgender man, is well known. Beatie is the father of three children and has sole custody of them after his estranged wife Nancy was shown to be violent towards him.

source

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
purpleducky
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:58 AM
5 moms liked this

I only really have issue with the statement that this is the first child born to a transgender parent in Europe. This is not true. This is just the first one to make headlines.

MYBABYANDI
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this

wtf people of this world just kill me   c'on r we serious here?

Apgsteenmommy
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:49 AM
2 moms liked this

whats wrong

Quoting MYBABYANDI:

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:56 AM
2 moms liked this

Congratulations.

MYBABYANDI
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM
7 moms liked this

Quoting Apgsteenmommy:

whats wrong

Quoting MYBABYANDI:

whats wrong? r u serious? u wanna live life as a man, but then have a baby-thats being a female. make up ur mind man or woman and anyone who does not want to be the way God created them has issues and there is something very wrong with that!!!! wtf u mean whats wrong? wow smh@u
candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM
6 moms liked this

I have to agree with you.   This wasn't a man that had a baby, it was a woman with female parts.    I have never been an Oprah fan and knew I never would be when she had the first transgenered man who ever had a child on her show.   It was never about a man having a baby.  It was about someone with female parts having a baby.  The whole thing was ridiculous.

Quoting MYBABYANDI:

Quoting Apgsteenmommy:

whats wrong

Quoting MYBABYANDI:

whats wrong? r u serious? u wanna live life as a man, but then have a baby-thats being a female. make up ur mind man or woman and anyone who does not want to be the way God created them has issues and there is something very wrong with that!!!! wtf u mean whats wrong? wow smh@u

purpleducky
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting MYBABYANDI:

Quoting Apgsteenmommy:

whats wrong

Quoting MYBABYANDI:

We have the right to have biological children just like you. It isn't his fault he was born with a uterus instead of a penis. 

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:17 AM
6 moms liked this

Congratualtions.  A woman choosing to live like a man has given birth.

MYBABYANDI
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:18 AM

noone said she couldnt have a baby but this person is living a lie.  and then trying to hide the gender of the baby         what a fucking freak

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting MYBABYANDI:

Quoting Apgsteenmommy:

whats wrong

Quoting MYBABYANDI:

We have the right to have biological children just like you. It isn't his fault he was born with a uterus instead of a penis. 

crystalplus1
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:27 AM
19 moms liked this

A woman gave birth, Not a big deal. Unless this person pushed a baby out of a penis, its still a woman giving birth. Not a man.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN