Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Smoke & Flames at Airport on 9/11 Anniversary Turn Out to Be a Drill?!

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:10 AM
  • 11 Replies

Smoke & Flames at Airport on 9/11 Anniversary Turn Out to Be a Drill

by Jenny Erikson

What better way to mark the 12th anniversary of 9/11 than by having a fire drill at an airport, complete with smoke and flames? Have it at Logan International Airport in Boston, where two of the planes used in the terrorist attack took off.

Yeah, that just happened. Officials are now apologizing for the drill, and Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick called the timing of it “dumb.” The port authority put out a statement saying it “understands that it may have offended many of those touched by the events of September 11.”

May have offended? Those touched? How about apologizing to America? September 11, 2001 is one of those days that will live in infamy. Everyone knows what they were doing, how it seemed like the world stopped spinning for a while, and everyone I’ve talked to about it at least knows of someone that died or narrowly escaped.

As the years pass, time will lessen the pain of the wounds inflicted that day, and it will become a memory, some pages in a history book, and to our grandkids, something that old people talk about.

And even when that time comes, it will still not be ok to have a smoke-and-flames fire drill on the anniversary of 9/11 at the very airport where the planes took off! Geez Louise, why don’t we have some sort of naval airstrike attack drill at Pearl Harbor on December 7 while we’re at it?

Have some respect and decorum, people.

Do you think the fire drill was out of line?

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:11 AM

That's really crappy of the airport. They should have better planned it. 

SyllabaryBisque
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I think the fire drill was DEFINITELY out of line. Talk about being insensitive and clueless...

prommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:19 AM

That takes stupid to a whole new level.

candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:21 AM

It sure does.

Quoting prommy:

That takes stupid to a whole new level.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Where do these idiots come from?  How does this much stupidity rise to this decision making level?

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I don't have any words for that kind of stupid. Wow. 

JanetMonroe1991
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Wow just wow. 

Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I follow the Mass Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) feed on Facebook and this came across my page yesterday.  The concensus in the comments was 100% unanimous that it was in poor taste.  Even the person managing the feed ended up sympathizing that first responders need to hold training exercises to be prepared, but that maybe yesterday wasn't the best day to do this.  I can't find it on their feed any longer, maybe they took it down because of all the negative feedback?

The month of September, MEMA and the State department of public health are running a statewide preparedness campaign.  I assume this was part of that campaign.  Still though, they couldn't have picked a worse day to do it. 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I work in a hospital and every Tuesday morning there are drills and testing- EVERY at the same time each week. Perhaps this was the same. In certain industries you stay on schedule, no matter the day/date because to do otherwise, would cause MORE problems.

And there would not be (and should not be) any way to warn the public- it's not their business.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I can not believe this. How stupid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN