Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Stop Sign Cameras!

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:21 AM
  • 9 Replies

DC is testing cameras at stop sings near school zones. I feel it's an excellent idea considering my son and I were hit by a woman who flew through a stop sign. Your thoughts? 

http://www.wtop.com/41/3435536/DC-tests-first-stop-sign-camera

D.C. tests first stop sign camera

Wednesday - 8/28/2013, 5:48pm  ET

WASHINGTON - The District has installed its first stop sign camera in a new program aimed at infractions in school zones.

As first reported by NBC 4, the initial camera was posted at the corner of Kansas Avenue and Buchanan Street NW for testing. Another 31 cameras are expected to be installed across the District.

Police spokeswoman Gwen Crump tells WTOP the other cameras will go near schools where data shows drivers ignore stop signs.

It's unclear when the rest of the cameras will be deployed.

Tickets from the cameras will be $50.

NBC 4 also reports that the District plans to add other cameras that will detect vehicles that "block the box" at intersections as well as catch vehicles that don't stop for pedestrians in crosswalks. Other cameras will look for oversized vehicle travelling through residential areas.

D.C. Police plans to add as many as 100 other cameras, in addition to the stop light cameras, according to NBC 4.

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SyllabaryBisque
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I'm screwed...

romalove
by Roma on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM

So many problems.  We have them here.  What they found was that there was incentive on the part of the municipalities to play with the amount of time for yellow.  That meant more money for them as it was almost impossible to get through the light without triggering the cameras and a fine.  And, for many, if you didn't go you'd get rear ended.

Don't like them at all.

greenie63
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Not lights, but actual Stop signs. We have red light cameras also, well everywhere. 

Quoting romalove:

So many problems.  We have them here.  What they found was that there was incentive on the part of the municipalities to play with the amount of time for yellow.  That meant more money for them as it was almost impossible to get through the light without triggering the cameras and a fine.  And, for many, if you didn't go you'd get rear ended.

Don't like them at all.

.OceanBlue.
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Fantastic idea. I have no problem with it. I see people go right through stop signs pretty regularly. So dangerous.

greenie63
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I do also. Not sure if it's a regional thing but I see it daily in the Baltimore/DC area. 

Quoting .OceanBlue.:

Fantastic idea. I have no problem with it. I see people go right through stop signs pretty regularly. So dangerous.

.OceanBlue.
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I see it all the time in my city as well. It really bothers me when I see it in our neighborhood. We have 4-way stops every few blocks, and people just go right through them. 

Quoting greenie63:

I do also. Not sure if it's a regional thing but I see it daily in the Baltimore/DC area. 

Quoting .OceanBlue.:

romalove
by Roma on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Quoting greenie63:

Not lights, but actual Stop signs. We have red light cameras also, well everywhere. 

Quoting romalove:

Don't like them at all.

OK  :-)

brannew
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't like stop sign cameras.  However, people including parents do NOT know how to drive around schools.  Morning drop offs and afternoon pick ups are insane!  No regard for anyone outside their car.  I find it so strange since children are crawling everywhere and they still drive like jerks. 

greenie63
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM

The woman that hit me ran the stop sign. The street I was driving on does not have a stop sign at the intersection, so I had the right of way. I was coming up to the intersection when the woman that hit me flew through without stopping at almost 45 mph. Our car was totaled, luckily my son was unharmed, but I went through many months of physical therapy. I still hurt at times but I'm alive. 

Quoting .OceanBlue.:

I see it all the time in my city as well. It really bothers me when I see it in our neighborhood. We have 4-way stops every few blocks, and people just go right through them. 

Quoting greenie63:

Quoting .OceanBlue.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN