Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

America is about the only country that would call this poverty

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  • 219 Replies
2 moms liked this

Census: Americans in ‘Poverty’ Typically Have Cell Phones, Computers, TVs, VCRS, AC, Washers, Dryers and Microwaves

September 11, 2013 - 3:11 PM
cell phones

(AP Photo)

(CNSNews.com) - Americans who live in households whose income is below the federal “poverty” level typically have cell phones (as well as landline phones), computers, televisions, video recorders, air conditioning, refrigerators, gas or electric stoves, and washers and dryers and microwaves, according to a newly released report from the Census Bureau.

In fact, 80.9 percent of households below the poverty level have cell phones, and a healthy majority—58.2 percent—have computers.

Fully 96.1 percent of American households in “poverty” have a television to watch, and 83.2 percent of them have a video-recording device in case they cannot get home in time to watch the football game or their favorite telephone show and they want to record it for watching later.

Refrigerators (97.8 percent), gas or electric stoves (96.6 percent) and microwaves (93.2 percent) are standard equipment in the homes of Americans in "poverty."

More than 83 percent have air-conditioning.

Interestingly, the appliances surveyed by the Census Bureau that households in poverty are least likely to own are dish washers (44.9 percent) and food freezers (26.2 percent).

However, most Americans in “poverty” do not need to go to a laundromat. According to the Census Bureau, 68.7 percent of households in poverty have a clothes washer and 65.3 percent have a clothes dryer.

The estimates on the percentage of households in poverty that have these appliances were derived by the Census Bureau from its Survey of Income and Program Participation. The latest report on this survey, released this month, published data collected in 2011.

Here are the percentages of households below the poverty level that the Census Bureau estimates had the following appliances:

Clothes washer: 68.7%

Clothes dryer: 65.3%

Dish washer: 44.9%

Refrigerator: 97.8%

Food freezer: 26.2%

Stove: 96.6%

Microwave: 93.2%

Air conditioner: 83.4%

Television: 96.1%

Video recorder/DVD: 83.2%

Computer: 58.2%

Telephone: 54.9%

Cell phone: 80.9%

- See more at: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/census-americans-poverty-typically-have-cell-phones-computers-tvs#sthash.P6gcMej7.dpuf

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.OceanBlue.
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:00 PM
6 moms liked this

Let's not forget their free tablets!

Most Americans don't know what true poverty is. 

candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

No they do not and most of them don't know what hunger is.  We spent over 80 billion on food stamps last year.   I don't see how anyone could ever go hungry in this country.  Do we have any truly poor people in this country?

Quoting .OceanBlue.:

Sadly, most Americans don't know what true poverty is. 

Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:06 PM
20 moms liked this
America is a rich country...no surprise that those living below the poverty line have these things. It's relative poverty, not third world poverty.
.OceanBlue.
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Doubtful. Not the level of poverty that is in third world countries, that's for sure. 

Quoting candlegal:

No they do not and most of them don't know what hunger is.  We spent over 80 billion on food stamps last year.   I don't see how anyone could ever go hungry in this country.  Do we have any truly poor people in this country?

Quoting .OceanBlue.:

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:16 PM

All the more reason why some ppl have no business saying low income Americans have no business having babies. As poor as they may be in this country their very very rich when speaking of world wide. 

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:20 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting .OceanBlue.:

Why is that sad?

Jaliyah  My video here

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:41 PM
5 moms liked this

I think it's sad from a perspective of lack of appreciation as opposed to gee I wish more people were "Haiti dirt poor".

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting .OceanBlue.:

Why is that sad?

.OceanBlue.
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Yes, what Lizzie said.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I think it's sad from a perspective of lack of appreciation as opposed to gee I wish more people were "Haiti dirt poor".

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting .OceanBlue.:

Why is that sad?

candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you are probably right.   The other sad part is that with many of the poor in this country, the more they get the more they think they deserve.  In many countries people are very appreciative of just a meal.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting .OceanBlue.:

Why is that sad?

KayB48
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:44 PM
11 moms liked this
The poor have changed since I was a young girl. I was born in 1958. We did not have modern plumbing, we had an outhouse (not uncommon to find a snake there in the summer), we took baths outside in a fifty gallon drum barrel in good weather, an old fashioned tin bathtub, hauled into the kitchen in cold weather. Our clothes were homemade, no shoes in the summer. Christmas was clothing, underwear, an apple and orange and candy in a stocking. A good year, we also received a simple doll or stuffed animal. The only toy we would get for that year. We treasured it and took care of whatever we received. My parents worked hard, Dad farmed and had a full time job off the farm. My mom could stretch a dollar better than anyone, she would go down to the butcher shop and raid the scrap barrel, tongue sandwich anyone? How about head cheese? Eventually things did improve, we were never spoiled with items, getting plumbing, a radio and eventually even tv was a big deal. I guess the point I want to make is the poor have changed. We were without that sense of entitlement so many have today. We knew the difference between needs and wants, and learned to work for the good things in life.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)