Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The horrors of US poverty

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:00 PM
  • 194 Replies
1 mom liked this

Here are the percentages of households below the poverty level that the Census Bureau estimates had the following appliances:

Clothes washer: 68.7%

Clothes dryer: 65.3%

Dish washer: 44.9%

Refrigerator: 97.8%

Food freezer: 26.2%

Stove: 96.6%

Microwave: 93.2%

Air conditioner: 83.4%

Television: 96.1%

Video recorder/DVD: 83.2%

Computer: 58.2%

Telephone (landline): 54.9%

Cell phone: 80.9%

The death of ambition in the US

Minnow Slayer

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Debmomto2girls
by Debbie on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:08 PM

lol...

Wicked.Jester
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:09 PM
3 moms liked this

How do people exist in such deplorable conditions?

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:13 PM
3 moms liked this

I can't speak for anyone else, but our washer/dryer was given to us, thank God. So was our Tv, dining room table, furniture, computers (dh fixes the ones ppl throw out)  We've been truly blessed to have been given the majority of things that we desperately needed. 

Wicked.Jester
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:14 PM
2 moms liked this

So what?  People who live in true poverty dont have anyone to give them anything.

And that includes things like FOOD....forget about a washer and dryer.

Quoting jehosoba84:

I can't speak for anyone else, but our washer/dryer was given to us, thank God. So was our Tv, dining room table, furniture, computers (dh fixes the ones ppl throw out)  We've been truly blessed to have been given the majority of things that we desperately needed. 

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:18 PM
15 moms liked this

So effing what?  All "poverty" means is "below the poverty line". 

http://www.familiesusa.org/resources/tools-for-advocates/guides/federal-poverty-guidelines.html

Appliances could have been bought pre-poverty, or came with a rental.  Internet access isn't that expensive, nor are certain cell phone plans. Many of these things aren't extravagences in a first world country, they are pretty basic.  When we are a third world country you can start comparing us to third world poverty.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:33 PM
2 moms liked this

More on this, is that taxpayers provide up to 40 thousand a year in welfare to these people.  Why work??

kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Who the hell doesn't own a refrigerator or stove. No matter how poor you are,you have one at home
Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Didn't we go through this earlier today?

1Giovanni
by Becca on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I guess I do know true poverty a few years back. We had none of those things. We did have a travel trailer that had nothing that actually work. That is what we lived in for 3 months. We didn't even get fs. ya we went out food.

Even though we have been under the poverty line I just think of us as low income because I do have all of those things now. We don't get help from the gov. We just don't live above our means.
1Giovanni
by Becca on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:48 PM
I didn't have a stove for awhile. Mine broke down and couldn't afford one. My mother gave me one from a one her rentals when she replaced it.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Who the hell doesn't own a refrigerator or stove. No matter how poor you are,you have one at home
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured