Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

In Email, Zimmerman’s Local Police Chief Agrees He’s Another ‘Sandy Hook’ Waiting To Happen

Posted by   + Show Post

In Email, Zimmerman’s Local Police Chief Agrees He’s Another ‘Sandy Hook’ Waiting To Happen

BY JUDD LEGUM ON SEPTEMBER 12, 2013 AT 5:11 PM

Lake Mary Police Chief Steve Bracknell

Lake Mary Police Chief Steve Bracknell

Police Chief Steve Bracknell, who is responsible for the Florida town where George Zimmerman resides, agreed in a series of emails that Zimmerman is a “ticking time bomb” and another “Sandy Hook” waiting to happen.

Bracknell expressed his views in response to two emails from Santiago Rodriguez, who reached Bracknell through a contact form on the police department’s website. Bracknell confirmed the emails’ authenticity to ThinkProgress and subsequently tried to distance himself from the remarks.

Rodriguez’s first email was an extended, and sometimes angry, critique of how the Lake Mary Police Department handled their response to the recent altercation between George Zimmerman, his wife and his father in law. Rodriguez told Bracknell that he had a responsibility to charge Zimmerman because he was another “Sandy Hook… waiting to happen.” Bracknell responded with a detailed defense of the police department’s conduct, but explicitly endorsed Rodriguez’s comments on Sandy Hook.

zimmerman_emails_quotes-16

[Ellipses are from the original email.]

Asked to elaborate on his email, Bracknell attempted to distance himself from Rodriguez’s comments, saying he did not agree and was “referring to the fact that [Zimmerman] seems to be involved in incidents” involving firearms.

In his second email, Rodriguez called Zimmerman a “ticking time bomb” who will snap “sooner or later.” Again, Bracknell agreed.

zimmerman_emails_quotes-15

The full email exchange between Rodriguez and Bracknell is available here.

The police are still deciding whether or not to charge Zimmerman in connection to the incident. They are attempting to recover video of alleged assault that Zimmerman’s wife, Shellie, recorded with her iPad. Zimmerman’s attorney, Mark O’Mara, acknowledged that Zimmerman broke the iPad into pieces before the police arrived. According to witnesses, Zimmerman also punched his father-in-law in the nose.

In her call to 911, Shellie Zimmerman told the police that Zimmerman was threatening her with his gun. “I don’t know what he’s capable of. I’m really, really scared,” Shellie said.

Zimmerman told police at the scene that he did not have a gun, according to Bracknell and a police department spokesman. O’Mara, however, insisted on CNN that he did have a gun on him during the entire incident. Bracknell told ThinkProgress that one of them isn’t “telling the truth.”

What is not in dispute is that Zimmerman, despite his legal troubles and the police chief’s concerns, is still permitted to carry a concealed weapon in the State of Florida. In Florida, unlike other states like New York and New Jersey, authorities have no discretion over whether to grant or revoke concealed carry permits. Dr. Daniel Webster, director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research, recently told Salon, “You’ve got all kinds of George Zimmermans and everything in between there who fall through the cracks of our exclusions. But if you ask any reasonable person how comfortable they are with an individual like that running around with a concealed, loaded gun, the vast majority would say they are not.”

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Replies (41-48):
lga1965
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:25 AM
;-)

Quoting grandmab125:

I'm sure she could snark her own defense without your help.  So now, you whine for other people?  LMAO.  Now, do I go around getting your snide, snarky response pulled?  Na, I'm bigger than that.

Quoting lga1965:

:-) nope, wasn't her.

Quoting grandmab125:

Oh, poor baby......Did you or one of your buds get my 'witty' response removed?  Like several others on here, you can dish it out....but you can't take it?

Quoting shannonnigans:

If this were another couple, it wouldn't have made the news? No phucking kidding. That's why it did make the news - it is this couple, the one that dominated headlines for weeks at a time. The acquitted accused murderer finding himself in another instance of alleged criminal behavior. What responsible news director would ever think that was worthy of coverage?!

As for not having to explain things to anybody, then why the hell are you? Either answer or don't. "I don't have to answer" is a puss move. As is "the country is falling apart." You talk in cliches.

Quoting grandmab125:

Aren't you cute and witty?  Nah.  First, I really don't have to explain anything to you.   But for a moment, I will play along with your little game.  No it's not newsworthy.  If this were any other couple, it wouldn't have made the news.  But like so many on CM, the media is still crazed over Zimmerman being declared not guilty. You all need to get over it.  Our country is falling apart, we're on the verge of getting involved in another war, and what do you all hone in on?  Insipid, unimportant stories about Zimmerman.  Were you frothing at the mouth over the story where.....OMG....Zimmerman was stopped for speeding in Texas?  That was really newsworthy too...not. 

Quoting shannonnigans:

It's not newsworthy? Please use that talon-like grip on reality you have and explain why.

Quoting grandmab125:

Jesus, woman.  Your obsession with Zimmerman  is out of control.  Get a grip on reality before it's too late.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Yeah and I'm sure she would get a share of his funds in the divorce settlement. After all, she lied for him and he's the reason she was charged.
I don't know why some people are bashing HER ? Her biggest mistake was marrying the nutcase.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

She's currently getting something like 4k a month from that fund.  She's requested that she continues to do so.  Can't remember where I read that, though, but I guess you could google it.

Quoting grandmab125:

According to his lawyer, his defense fund was practically non-existent in June.  He never had all that much to begin with.  And his defense fund was set up that 'they' could use some of it for living expenses.  Body guards are expensive you know.  However, if there is any money left over, don't you think his lawyers are going to claim it?  If there is any money left over, his wife doesn't get a penny of it if she divorces him.  Also, if he's smart....he won't write a book until after they are divorced when she won't be able to get her hands on any of the money.  And if he writes a book, his lawyers get paid off first.  That's the agreement they had....when he has an income, he must pay them.

Oh, and BTW, I didn't donate to his defense fund.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

He and his soon to be wife live off of his defense fund.  When she filed for divorce, she requested to still get payouts.  So if you donated to his defense fund, congratulations!  You are now supporting his ex wife.

And I think he will be dead or in prison long before he'll ever write a book.  

Quoting grandmab125:

What income?  George doesn't have any income.  But, I'm sure she'll make a few shekles off of a tell all book.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Sure looks like a crime was committed, but the victim saw how her income would fall out if she pressed charges.

Shame Florida laws work that way.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

So, we should start locking up potential crime committers?

I hope the police chief realizes he is walking a fine line.  He could be sued for stuff like this.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM
I know !!! Yikes !

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Your obsession of defending a killer is puzzling

Quoting grandmab125:

Jesus, woman.  Your obsession with Zimmerman  is out of control.  Get a grip on reality before it's too late.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzy_ellie
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I think he's a dbag but I wouldn't call someones persons opinion news worthy

Quoting shannonnigans:

It's not newsworthy? Please use that talon-like grip on reality you have and explain why.

Quoting grandmab125:

lga1965
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I think she means the Media gives us newsworthy details. But some of George's fans can't handle the truth.

Quoting lizzy_ellie:

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting grandmab125:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:52 PM
I haven't been online since I posted, so I never saw your response. For the record, I live for those moments when someone goes crazy on me, so by all means repost, I'm dying to know what you said.

Quoting grandmab125:

Oh, poor baby......Did you or one of your buds get my 'witty' response removed?  Like several others on here, you can dish it out....but you can't take it?

Quoting shannonnigans:

If this were another couple, it wouldn't have made the news? No phucking kidding. That's why it did make the news - it is this couple, the one that dominated headlines for weeks at a time. The acquitted accused murderer finding himself in another instance of alleged criminal behavior. What responsible news director would ever think that was worthy of coverage?!

As for not having to explain things to anybody, then why the hell are you? Either answer or don't. "I don't have to answer" is a puss move. As is "the country is falling apart." You talk in cliches.

Quoting grandmab125:

Aren't you cute and witty?  Nah.  First, I really don't have to explain anything to you.   But for a moment, I will play along with your little game.  No it's not newsworthy.  If this were any other couple, it wouldn't have made the news.  But like so many on CM, the media is still crazed over Zimmerman being declared not guilty. You all need to get over it.  Our country is falling apart, we're on the verge of getting involved in another war, and what do you all hone in on?  Insipid, unimportant stories about Zimmerman.  Were you frothing at the mouth over the story where.....OMG....Zimmerman was stopped for speeding in Texas?  That was really newsworthy too...not. 

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting grandmab125:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM
I don't even know how to answer that. Opinions are part of the news on a daily basis, how could you suggest otherwise?

Quoting lizzy_ellie:

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting grandmab125:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Beach.Gal
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Maybe there's something to his wife's statements about him feeling invincible. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN