Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Waitresses Fired for Stunningly Cruel Rant Against Native Americans?

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM
  • 35 Replies

Waitresses Fired for Stunningly Cruel Rant Against Native Americans

by Rebecca Stokes

bad tippersWaitresses have a lot to complain about. They are on their feet all day. They have to deal with demanding customers, frantic chefs, and so much more. Chief among their complaints -- bad tips. Who can blame them? Tips make up a huge part of their salary, and they depend on receiving them.

But tips aren't a given, they must be earned through good service. This doesn't just mean a warm smile and prompt delivery of your order, it extends to how you treat your customers as human beings. Two waitresses learned this lesson the hard way when they were fired for their racist treatment of customers.

The two girls in question posted a photo of one holding up a sign asking for donations because the Native Americans in town for an annual pow wow were bad tippers. It's not just awful that these two women had no problem bashing Native Americans, but that they thought it was okay to post this on Facebook! Stupidity is still no excuse for casual racism. Their boss agreed and, when the photo surfaced, fired them both.

A little griping when a customer leaves a less-than-reasonable tip for good service is within a waitress's rights. But posting racist images online when their tips don't pass muster? That's just more proof that the waitresses in question didn't deserve good tips to begin with.

Do you think that their boss was right to fire the girls?

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Yes.
mikesmom65270
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Absolutely!

Aslen
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Duh!

lizzy_ellie
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:52 AM

umm. yeah.

respect should never be in question.

SherryBerry106
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:52 AM
2 moms liked this

(a) I wish people knew what racist meant.

(b) were they bad tippers?

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this

I would have fired their asses too. I've been a server so I know how bad the non-tipping is but I would never do something so stupid. It's a part of life and part of the job. Don't like it-get a new one

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Yes. If you work at a business, and you're stupid enough to put that crap on Face book, then you should be canned.

luckystars2012
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM
No, I don't think that some they did on their own time that does not affect their job should cost them their job
TerriAnne2606
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Absolutely.  There's no reason to do that.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Sorry, calling someone out for being a bad tipper isn't racist. 

If they were posting while on the employers time they should be fired, if not it is a free speech issue.

FTR, I have NA blood and I am a good tipper.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN