Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Waitresses Fired for Stunningly Cruel Rant Against Native Americans?

Posted by   + Show Post

Waitresses Fired for Stunningly Cruel Rant Against Native Americans

by Rebecca Stokes

bad tippersWaitresses have a lot to complain about. They are on their feet all day. They have to deal with demanding customers, frantic chefs, and so much more. Chief among their complaints -- bad tips. Who can blame them? Tips make up a huge part of their salary, and they depend on receiving them.

But tips aren't a given, they must be earned through good service. This doesn't just mean a warm smile and prompt delivery of your order, it extends to how you treat your customers as human beings. Two waitresses learned this lesson the hard way when they were fired for their racist treatment of customers.

The two girls in question posted a photo of one holding up a sign asking for donations because the Native Americans in town for an annual pow wow were bad tippers. It's not just awful that these two women had no problem bashing Native Americans, but that they thought it was okay to post this on Facebook! Stupidity is still no excuse for casual racism. Their boss agreed and, when the photo surfaced, fired them both.

A little griping when a customer leaves a less-than-reasonable tip for good service is within a waitress's rights. But posting racist images online when their tips don't pass muster? That's just more proof that the waitresses in question didn't deserve good tips to begin with.

Do you think that their boss was right to fire the girls?

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Replies (11-20):
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:08 PM

This is tough one, yes they should have been fired if they made the racist comment that is in the article on the employers time, but no if they posted this on their own time

Shoota
by Lauren on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Yes. They deserve to be fired. Even though it may not have been on company time, though it looks like it was because the picture was taken in the restaurant. It still comes back to the company in question, and holds them responsible.

Shoota
by Lauren on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:12 PM

The picture in question was taken in the restaurant wearing the company uniform. So, it wasnt exactly on their own time.

Quoting luckystars2012:

No, I don't think that some they did on their own time that does not affect their job should cost them their job

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:17 PM
They are posting these pics in the company uniform, and quite obvious about it. Even if the sign was just complaining about customer tips without any ethnic affiliation implied, they'd be justifiably reprimanded at least; the business is represented and it was public enough for someone to tell on them.
survivorinohio
by René on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:20 PM

yes

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:42 PM

The picture posted has the company name, they are in company uniform and look suspiciously like they are at the business premises...aka on work time.

Yes they should be fired.

krysstizzle
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Also take note: The founder of Famous Dave's (where this happened)? He's Native American. 

hismommy2010
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Posting on the interent is something i would fire them over. It didn't have to be racist. Complaining about ANY customer for ANY reason on the internet is not kosher with me. I'm a small business owner, and I do not want any employee acting in public or on the internet in any way less then respectfull when it comes to them respresenting my business and them as employeed by me.

Posting that on line, didnt have to say anything about the peoples race. The pure fact that they trash talked customers online, was enough of a deal breaker for me.

Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this
"Stunningly cruel rant"?!? I have to say I'm underwhelmed after the build up of that headline. Not stunning, not cruel, not a rant, and not racist. It is, however, stupid and unprofessional.
Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:42 PM

When I lived in the Southwest, I remember people stating matter of factly that Native Americans tend to not tip. Who knows? Could be a cultural thing like some from some Asian cultures try to negotiate some store prices. 

The servers were stupid, so firing seems appropriate. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN