Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Waitresses Fired for Stunningly Cruel Rant Against Native Americans?

Posted by   + Show Post

Waitresses Fired for Stunningly Cruel Rant Against Native Americans

by Rebecca Stokes

bad tippersWaitresses have a lot to complain about. They are on their feet all day. They have to deal with demanding customers, frantic chefs, and so much more. Chief among their complaints -- bad tips. Who can blame them? Tips make up a huge part of their salary, and they depend on receiving them.

But tips aren't a given, they must be earned through good service. This doesn't just mean a warm smile and prompt delivery of your order, it extends to how you treat your customers as human beings. Two waitresses learned this lesson the hard way when they were fired for their racist treatment of customers.

The two girls in question posted a photo of one holding up a sign asking for donations because the Native Americans in town for an annual pow wow were bad tippers. It's not just awful that these two women had no problem bashing Native Americans, but that they thought it was okay to post this on Facebook! Stupidity is still no excuse for casual racism. Their boss agreed and, when the photo surfaced, fired them both.

A little griping when a customer leaves a less-than-reasonable tip for good service is within a waitress's rights. But posting racist images online when their tips don't pass muster? That's just more proof that the waitresses in question didn't deserve good tips to begin with.

Do you think that their boss was right to fire the girls?

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Replies (21-30):
Gingered
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Actually, I have a Native American friend that was talking about this. He wanted to know how it was racist. He said that it was likely that she didn't get a lot of tips, not because Native Americans are cheap, but because it is chaotic and rushed at large powwows. Some might just not have had the money to leave after paying to get there. In his words, "the word racist is used far too often and often incorrectly" Was it dumb to post it, yes, racist, not so much.

Gingered
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly

Quoting Luvnlogic:

"Stunningly cruel rant"?!? I have to say I'm underwhelmed after the build up of that headline. Not stunning, not cruel, not a rant, and not racist. It is, however, stupid and unprofessional.

ydelslovelymama
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:00 PM

yes! i am native american and can tell you that i tip pretty well, but the funny part is that the restuarant Famous Daves, Dave is native american himself....mmm pretty ignorant if you ask me

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Dumbasses.
susannah2000
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Bad idea, yes. CRUEL? "Stunningly cruel" at that?  Give me a break. Way to overdramatize an act of stupidity.

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Not seeing how the wording of the sign is racist, but I agree with them being fired for posting a picture at work in their unifom.
CFSTBSM27
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Maybe you should make more of an effort to be something more,than a waitress before you judge others.
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Yeah, I'm with you.

Quoting luckystars2012:

No, I don't think that some they did on their own time that does not affect their job should cost them their job

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Oh, they were wearing their work uniform? That makes a difference to me. 

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Not seeing how the wording of the sign is racist, but I agree with them being fired for posting a picture at work in their unifom.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:44 AM
It was mentioned in another reply, so I was going by that. I didn't see the picture. I'm just guessing with their attitudes they didn't give the best service. IMO the resturant owner should tell his staff to make up for their loss of tips he will pay them a bonus during large events in which it is know people for whatever reason tend not to tip, and it is expected servers will give good service and welcoming to all customers regardless.
Quoting paganbaby:

Oh, they were wearing their work uniform? That makes a difference to me. 

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)