Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

My theory about why people who don't benefit from conservative policies continue to believe and vote Republican

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:26 PM
  • 118 Replies
6 moms liked this

Shame.

My sister in law used to ask me why I believed so adamantly in conservative policies when they were hurting myself and my family and everyone I cared for.  I didn't have much of an answer other than "Because its what's right."

Now, after having a complete turnaround in my political ideology, I look back and see it clearly.  My SIL thought I thought I would benefit from the policies one day, because I believed I would be rich.  But really, for me, it was shame.  I was ASHAMED that I needed help.  And the constant shaming of the poor in my husband's then-preferred news source (Fox), the constant shaming I recieved from my family and the people I knew, and even moms on here (no joke, one told me I should give my baby up for adoption because I was asking where to go to find help affording a car seat before my son was born), I could not see how wrong I was.  I was too ashamed.

And I think that's why many people cling to beliefs that don't benefit them or their loved ones, even when faced with facts to the contrary.  They don't want to be "one of those people" and they look down on the poor, even while being a half step above (or even less) than them.  I feel like the wealthy feed this infighting to maintain their position.  If we 99% are too busy blaming the poor and each other for the problems we will never turn our eyes to the real issues.

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4Poodle
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:53 PM
5 moms liked this
Fear is a greater producer of loyalty than logic any day.
codfish
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:32 PM
5 moms liked this
A lot of us are independent and vote republican. I am fiscally conservative and socially moderate/liberal. I don't want my g-kids paying for crap my generation basically put on a cc. So yes, I vote repub more than dem. In my state you don't have to declare one or the other to vote.
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:42 PM
4 moms liked this

I think it's much simpler than that.  I think some people are mean

JTE11
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:44 PM
4 moms liked this

I think that some people believe in keeping a system in place where the most people have the most opportunity to do more for themselves, rather than in a system that hands more people things directly and everyone is pulled down because of it. It has nothing to do with looking down on the poor, it has everything to do with being as free as possible to not be the poor.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:49 PM
7 moms liked this
Some people just feel the need to feel superior to others
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashellbell
by shellbark on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:12 AM
2 moms liked this
I definitely agree with this statement.

Quoting snookyfritz:

RandRMomma
by Maya on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:23 AM
3 moms liked this
I agree. Some are mean for no reason.

Just look at the posts bashing poor people.

Quoting snookyfritz:

RandRMomma
by Maya on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:29 AM
6 moms liked this
Ya know what? I agree with you.

From what I see, especially from the conservatives in this group, is that their party partakes in a lot of fear mongering. So, many of these people are afraid of things that are simply untrue, and form illogical conclusions and premises because of that fear. Fear causes people to act irrationally. It's through that fear that leaders in the GOP control the members or the GOP.

Just take the gun debate as an example. The NRA has spun laws that would enforce stricter gun laws into the government wanting to take peoples guns away. People are afraid of getting their guns taken away, although that isn't going to happen. I find it sad that so many seem so gullible.
heresjohnny
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

For me it isn't about shame, it's about what's right. My MIL thinks I'm nuts to vote democrat when republican is what's best for my family. I think voting for *ME* would be the selfish thing to do. It's not about what's best for me and my family, it's about what I think is best for our country as a whole.

Beach.Gal
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:30 AM
6 moms liked this

I think some people like to be mean for no reason other than to be mean.  And I think a lot of it is shame too.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)