Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Lee Daniels: The Butler movie

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:47 PM
  • 211 Replies
1 mom liked this

Has anyone seen this movie? I know its been out awhile but my oldest dd said she wanted to see it and we went tonight.  It was one of the most amazing movies I have ever seen.  THe acting was great but the history and footage was profound.  My dd and I had the most lively conversation afterwards.

It was one of the best movies I have seen in a very long time. It was wellw orth the money.

“No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” 
― Elie Wiesel

by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
billsfan1104
by Jules on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I want to see the movie, but I watched an interview on OWN with Oprah with the producer, and it just left a bad taste in my mouth. It made it seem that they wanted to race bait and that's why they made the movie. I would love it based on the historical parts, but I don't want to see a movie if it is only one sided.
I love learning about the civil war era, ww2 and the civil rights.
SuzCahn
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:53 PM

We haven't seen it yet. Dh keeps telling me we need to.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:55 PM
5 moms liked this

It is a factual account of history.  It is based on a true story and can open some dialogue. But, I didn't see it as race baiting at all.  They used some actual footage from those times.  It happened.  If you like history, you would love the movie.  

Quoting billsfan1104:

I want to see the movie, but I watched an interview on OWN with Oprah with the producer, and it just left a bad taste in my mouth. It made it seem that they wanted to race bait and that's why they made the movie. I would love it based on the historical parts, but I don't want to see a movie if it is only one sided.

“No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” 
― Elie Wiesel

coupon_ash_back
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:57 PM

nope, I don't like movies about slavery or AA's being the underdog, or anything else along those lines.. and then those movies do the best and are oscar worthy.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

It is one-sided to a degree because it is based on one person's life and experiences.  But, the events in the movie happened.  The civil rights movement was my favorite part of the movie.  We were both crying by the end. 

Quoting billsfan1104:

― Elie Wiesel

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Care to elaborate? 

Quoting coupon_ash_back:

nope, I don't like movies about slavery or AA's being the underdog, or anything else along those lines.. and then those movies do the best and are oscar worthy.

― Elie Wiesel

almburr
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:01 PM
2 moms liked this
I just can't stomach Jane Fonda.
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol...She is in it for about 2 minutes!

Quoting almburr:

I just can't stomach Jane Fonda.

― Elie Wiesel

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I want to see it, but I am guessing I will have to wait till it comes out on DVR. Everyone I have talked to said it was amazing. 

tscritch
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I want to see it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)