Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

My Own PSA About Hospitals

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:23 PM
  • 38 Replies
3 moms liked this

This is just my own advice to anybody who wants it.  It's hard-earned advice and tonight I feel like shouting it from the rooftops.

When somebody you love is in the hospital or rehab facility, somebody has to go there and advocate for him or her.  You have to make sure the wrong things don't happen and you have to ensure that the right things do happen.  A close caregiver does not have to abide by visiting hours.  Close caregivers can take turns at bedside round the clock.  The visiting hours don't apply.  If any misguided hospital employees try to say otherwise, you ask the doctor to put a round the clock companion in the orders.

And speaking of the orders...know what meds your person is supposed to take. Make sure every one is in the orders in the appropriate dose.  Then make sure they bring the meds at the appropriate times.  Today, I literally spent ALL DAY making sure the antibiotics my mom is supposed to have administered thru her mediport were properly given.  That meant digging in, calling doctors, arguing with nurses and not budging until they brought in an instructor to teach the rehab nursing staff how to insert the apporpriate needle, flush the line and do a bunch of other stuff I don't know thing one about.  And then, when it was leaking, I had to make sure they called her back to the facility to figure out why and fix it.  If I wasn't there today, the nurses would have given her the abx thru a vein which is NOT the treatment that the oncologist and infectious disease doctors agreed upon.

I also had to back up mom when she insisted that she never wore a diaper before and didn't need one today.  And I brought a blanket from home because they only give one blanket per patient.  If patients are cold, they are supposed to use the bedspread.  Except the bedspread is made of a nylon blend that makes it slide onto the floor every time people move...and especially with my mom being a chemo patient...ain't no way that's getting picked up off the floor and getting put up on her.  These are little things.  But they're also very big things.

Other things I suggest...bring pasteries for the staff.  They aren't the ones who make the policies that result in the problems patients encounter.  Be chill.  Getting emotional slows shit down.  Never talk bad about the staff to other patients/visitors...that creates snowballs of discontent.  And don't bring candy to the diabetics, McDonald to the cardiac patients, etc.  If that's the best help you have to offer, maybe you'd best just stay home after all.

by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
teri4lance
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:33 PM

all very good advice. no one understood why I wouldn't leave my mom after her back surgery. I flew 1000 miles to be there and my sister made it to the hosp twice while I was there - and she lives there. smdh.

I rode a lot of asses while I was there, but I always thanked them for the ride after. 

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Quoting teri4lance:

all very good advice. no one understood why I wouldn't leave my mom after her back surgery. I flew 1000 miles to be there and my sister made it to the hosp twice while I was there - and she lives there. smdh.

I rode a lot of asses while I was there, but I always thanked them for the ride after. 

Very well said!

KhloesMom2009
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sad to know that you've had to crack down to ensure your mom gets proper care. Best wishes and good juju to your family.
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Peace to you and your family

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:51 PM

My dad is in hospital at the moment.  Thankfully the staff is really lenient when it comes to visitors as long as you dont turn up with the entire family at dinner time LOL.  common sense stuff.

I just make sure his wants are met (he doesnt have many) and that the nursing staff are treating him good.  I had words with the doctor and quite frankly I speak with the nurses more than the doctor...their judgemental arrogant ways annoy me.  My dad is deaf not stupid, when they speak to him its so derogatory.

Ive never had to thank the staff with pastries :-)  I have given a box of chocolates to the midwives after I had my third child...they earnt them LOL.  I show appreciation for the hard work they do

When my mother had a stroke and couldnt speak they basically thought they could do whatever they wanted to.  

Always speak up if you think something is wrong, dont accept what one person has to say about something that is bothering you.  You are the one who can make the difference between respect and comfortability and your loved one being treated and made to feel like crap.

celestegood
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this
My son spent months in the hospital as a baby/toddler. I can attest to this. Thanks for posting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I have been a nurse for 35 years and an nicu or picu nurse for most of them-there are no visiting hours as we are an open unit. I am all for visitors as long as patient care or outcomes are not negatively affected.

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting turtle68:

My dad is in hospital at the moment.  Thankfully the staff is really lenient when it comes to visitors as long as you dont turn up with the entire family at dinner time LOL.  common sense stuff.

I just make sure his wants are met (he doesnt have many) and that the nursing staff are treating him good.  I had words with the doctor and quite frankly I speak with the nurses more than the doctor...their judgemental arrogant ways annoy me.  My dad is deaf not stupid, when they speak to him its so derogatory.

Ive never had to thank the staff with pastries :-)  I have given a box of chocolates to the midwives after I had my third child...they earnt them LOL.  I show appreciation for the hard work they do

When my mother had a stroke and couldnt speak they basically thought they could do whatever they wanted to.  

Always speak up if you think something is wrong, dont accept what one person has to say about something that is bothering you.  You are the one who can make the difference between respect and comfortability and your loved one being treated and made to feel like crap.

Oh HELL yeah...triple everything I said when your loved one cannot speak.  Years ago, my mom had a surgery for which she was trached.  If she rang the call bell, they'd call back on the intercom "Can I help you?"  And when she couldn't answer, they'd turn off the signal and ignore her if she called again.  The doc put it in the orders that somebody had to enter her room when she rang, but it wasn't anybody with access to the orders who answered the ding.  AND it was always different people each day. 

I'm sorry to hear about your dad's struggle.  I truly believe that just by being there, you force the staff to see the things they do through your eyes, even if only a little.  Keep rockin' on.  I'll have a good thought for y'all.

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Quoting Sisteract:

I have been a nurse for 35 years and an nicu or picu nurse for most of them-there are no visiting hours as we are an open unit. I am all for visitors as long as patient care or outcomes are not negatively affected.

My boy was in NICU for a short time.  I was beyond impressed with the work the folks there did. 

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

You are SO right.  And God bless you for doing for your Mom what she can't do for herself.

I learned all this decades ago, the hard way, when I had a chronically ill sister (who died young after many medical mistakes).  I was sharply reminded when other relatives spent time and died in hospitals too.

I like your idea of bringing snacks to the staff.  That never occurred to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN