Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should this professor be fired for his opinion?

An education watchdog group on Sunday called for the firing of an embattled Michigan State University (MSU) professor who was caught in a secret recording earlier this month ranting against Republicans.

“Michigan State must fire prof who went on hateful rant,” said Campus Reform’s Caleb Bonham in a newly released video.

“If Professor William Penn went on a similar rant bashing the LGBT community you would have fired him immediately,” Bonham added in the video.

MSU Creative Writing Professor William Penn said earlier this month Republicans are “a bunch of dead white people” who had “raped” the country and want to prevent black people from voting.

As a result, the school “reassigned” his teaching duties, but reportedly continues to pay him his $146,510 annual salary.

by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL, The ar about the only ones that aren't.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

When did republicans become a protected class?

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:37 PM
I can't find anywhere exactly what he said...
From what I do know, he expressed an opinion about the Republican Party (political parties are not a protected class so the discussion if "hate speech" isn't even relevant).

I don't agree with him but I don't see why he needs to be fired either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
billsfan1104
by Jules on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Everyone is a protected class and no one should be subjected to hate filled speeches or rants.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Interesting, I didn't know that. I must have missed that memo, along with a hell of a lot of other people too.

Quoting billsfan1104:

Everyone is a protected class and no one should be subjected to hate filled speeches or rants.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

ashellbell
by shellbark on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM
A college professor? No, he shouldn't be fired. A public school teacher? Absolutely.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:54 PM

This man is entitled to his opinion and as such, should realize there are possible consequences to such.

I have not found any thing that indicates this rant was hate speech.  

A political party is not a protected class of people.  Many people, myself included, do not line up strictly on any given side of the political fence.  You can't define an entire class of people based on a given political party.

He should be reprimanded, indeed.  I get why some people may have been offended or 'outraged'.  However, I don't believe it warrants his firing.

The mention of had his 'speech' concerned the gay community is irrelevant.  Protected class, not protected class.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Luckily college kids have the ability to tell the professor to stick it and walk out. If this had taken place in a primary school, fired for sure. I walked out of my "women's studies" class several times when the female professor went overboard. As long as the professor doesn't dock the grades of the students who walk out, I'm not seeing a huge issue with it. This is college. There are a ton of those types of professors and these college age "kids"  need to be able to stand up for themselves like adults. Not sit there and take it. 

greenie63
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM

He's tenured it'll never happen. The man has an opinion, especially one who teaches creative writing. 

jllcali
by Jane on Sep. 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Where did the rant take place? Did it violate school policy?
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I would like to hear what the professor said exactly. He should not be given any type of hate speech.

I would expect the student to stand up and state his opinion. I did that plenty of times in college. My professors liked a good debate.

I am wondering if the student is in trouble for secretly recording a conversation. Depending on the university and program, it is not okay to record a class without the teachers permission. 

I am also wondering if either A. it wasn't the professors first time otherwise why record him secretly or B. someone set him up and recorded it secretly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN