Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should this professor be fired for his opinion?

An education watchdog group on Sunday called for the firing of an embattled Michigan State University (MSU) professor who was caught in a secret recording earlier this month ranting against Republicans.

“Michigan State must fire prof who went on hateful rant,” said Campus Reform’s Caleb Bonham in a newly released video.

“If Professor William Penn went on a similar rant bashing the LGBT community you would have fired him immediately,” Bonham added in the video.

MSU Creative Writing Professor William Penn said earlier this month Republicans are “a bunch of dead white people” who had “raped” the country and want to prevent black people from voting.

As a result, the school “reassigned” his teaching duties, but reportedly continues to pay him his $146,510 annual salary.

by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Me too...lol!

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Interesting, I didn't know that. I must have missed that memo, along with a hell of a lot of other people too.

Quoting billsfan1104:

Everyone is a protected class and no one should be subjected to hate filled speeches or rants.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

When did republicans become a protected class?

“No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” 
― Elie Wiesel

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I couldn't watch the video at first and just did. I think there is more to the story. I want to hear the Professors speech since this student is saying his speech was "racist and discriminatory" 

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:20 PM
His rant sounded like a typical night of MSNBC programming......
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:28 PM

It's no different than anyone with an extreme opinion, plenty of people have them. His opinion is no more extreme than Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lizzielouaf:

It's no different than anyone with an extreme opinion, plenty of people have them. His opinion is no more extreme than Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

And liberals do all they can to try and get Beck and Rush off the air......

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:40 PM

This, I agree with. 

Quoting ashellbell:

A college professor? No, he shouldn't be fired. A public school teacher? Absolutely.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:42 PM

That isn't the point now is it? It's extreme views and that a lot of people have them, it's no different. Try to stay with it here.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:48 PM

The point is liberals demonize and suppress views that differ from their own.  In other words had this professor's rant been directed against Democrats he would have been fired, and demonized by the MSM.  He would be facing death threats and protests at his home.  

Quoting lizzielouaf:

That isn't the point now is it? It's extreme views and that a lot of people have them, it's no different. Try to stay with it here.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Was he talking to his class? on company time? Or on his own time?If he was wasting company time, I can see why the university would have reason to reprimand him. Otherwise it's his opinion, whoopie! A lot of people have them, some people are just more vocal about it.

Either way I think firing is extreme, he teaches ADULTS not children.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:51 PM

It happens ON BOTH SIDES. Don't put your head in the sand and refuse to see how very divisive the two sides really are. I'm sure Rush will get wind of this and be all over it.

Incidentally, and I've said this a hundred times, I have zero use for the media...I don't trust any of them. Including the beloved MSNBC you seem particularly fond of throwing out there. 

Quoting 12hellokitty:

The point is liberals demonize and suppress views that differ from their own.  In other words had this professor's rant been directed against Democrats he would have been fired, and demonized by the MSM.  He would be facing death threats and protests at his home.  

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)