Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should this professor be fired for his opinion?

An education watchdog group on Sunday called for the firing of an embattled Michigan State University (MSU) professor who was caught in a secret recording earlier this month ranting against Republicans.

“Michigan State must fire prof who went on hateful rant,” said Campus Reform’s Caleb Bonham in a newly released video.

“If Professor William Penn went on a similar rant bashing the LGBT community you would have fired him immediately,” Bonham added in the video.

MSU Creative Writing Professor William Penn said earlier this month Republicans are “a bunch of dead white people” who had “raped” the country and want to prevent black people from voting.

As a result, the school “reassigned” his teaching duties, but reportedly continues to pay him his $146,510 annual salary.

by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Replies (31-40):
PrimmednPunked
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

So do conservatives.  That isn't just a liberal/Democrat thing.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

The point is liberals demonize and suppress views that differ from their own.  In other words had this professor's rant been directed against Democrats he would have been fired, and demonized by the MSM.  He would be facing death threats and protests at his home.  

Quoting lizzielouaf:

That isn't the point now is it? It's extreme views and that a lot of people have them, it's no different. Try to stay with it here.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

It's no different than anyone with an extreme opinion, plenty of people have them. His opinion is no more extreme than Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

His rant sounded like a typical night of MSNBC programming......

And liberals do all they can to try and get Beck and Rush off the air......

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 8:10 PM
I have never seen Beck or Rush advocate for making liberal free speech illegal.
Quoting lizzielouaf:

It happens ON BOTH SIDES. Don't put your head in the sand and refuse to see how very divisive the two sides really are. I'm sure Rush will get wind of this and be all over it.

Incidentally, and I've said this a hundred times, I have zero use for the media...I don't trust any of them. Including the beloved MSNBC you seem particularly fond of throwing out there. 

Quoting 12hellokitty:

The point is liberals demonize and suppress views that differ from their own.  In other words had this professor's rant been directed against Democrats he would have been fired, and demonized by the MSM.  He would be facing death threats and protests at his home.  

Quoting lizzielouaf:

That isn't the point now is it? It's extreme views and that a lot of people have them, it's no different. Try to stay with it here.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

It's no different than anyone with an extreme opinion, plenty of people have them. His opinion is no more extreme than Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Themis_Defleo
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 8:13 PM

When did Republicans become a protected class?

Quoting billsfan1104:

I Am on fence on this. He sure as shit as would of been fired if he railed on any other "protected class". I am sure this wasn't the first time he did, just the first time he was caught.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Me neither!

Quoting 12hellokitty:

I have never seen Beck or Rush advocate for making liberal free speech illegal.
Quoting lizzielouaf:

It happens ON BOTH SIDES. Don't put your head in the sand and refuse to see how very divisive the two sides really are. I'm sure Rush will get wind of this and be all over it.

Incidentally, and I've said this a hundred times, I have zero use for the media...I don't trust any of them. Including the beloved MSNBC you seem particularly fond of throwing out there. 

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:23 PM
I think professors often have very biased political views, both conservative and liberal. Are they going to fire most professors? Especially those in the liberal arts, where this is especially common?
SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Nobody should be fired for having an opinion.  Did he rant during class?  Was it really hateful or just blown out of proportion?  If he really crossed some lines during a class he should perhaps face some sort of disciplinary action, but not firing.  We're talking about grown college students, not impressionable young children.  

rfurlongg
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Is he tenured? Was this a public or private conversation?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelamb303
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:41 PM

It is an opinion. I don't think he should be fired.

Lizardannie1966
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Punishment...yes.

Actual termination...not sure and leaning more toward no.

RandRMomma
by Maya on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Because Beck and Rush are bigots. But, I don't care about them being on the air. Let them stay, I'll just hold low opinions of anyone that takes their tripe to heart.

Nice deflection BTW.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN