Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teacher Tells 10-Year-Old God Is Not an Acceptable 'Idol'

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:24 AM
  • 105 Replies

Teacher Tells 10-Year-Old God Is Not an Acceptable 'Idol'

by Mary Fischer

elementary school

Ugh. Can someone please explain to me what the heck this world is coming to? Because after hearing that a 10-year-old girl was not allowed to choose God as her idol to write about for a school assignment, I really don't know whether to scream or cry.

Mom Erica Shead explains how her daughter, Erin, came home from school on Wednesday upset. When she drew a diagram in class with the words, "I look up to God," in the middle of it -- her teacher told her that God was not an acceptable idol, and that she'd have to start the assignment all over again.

The poor kid wound up choosing Michael Jackson (basically going from one extreme to the other) as an alternative.

Erin told her mother she wanted to write about God because "God created the earth" and added that she's "doing the best she can."

And as you can imagine, Erica is absolutely irate over the teacher's decision, as she should be.

Take a look at this video clip to hear more about what happened.

That poor child. This makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. Who the hell is that teacher to tell a child who she can and cannot look up to? By telling her to choose someone else, and by not even allowing her to keep the original assignment at school (you know, because it's SO offensive), she's basically teaching her that her faith doesn't matter and isn't worth believing in. And that's just sad, wrong, disgusting, ridiculous, and well ... really shitty, if you ask me.

What would've been the harm in letting her write about God? It's not like she was preaching to the class or anything. She was simply following the instructions she was given to complete her school work -- and she basically got punished for it. Yes, it is a punishment to take a child's beautiful, creative idea and classify it as wrong, when it clearly isn't.

Oh, and another thing, I'd be appalled about this incident no matter where in the country it happened. But in Millington, Tennessee -- right outside of Memphis?!? If kids can't express their love for God in the Bible belt, it certainly doesn't offer much hope to the rest of the U.S.

I don't blame Erica one bit for going straight to the principal. I would've done the same thing in her shoes, because the way her daughter was treated is unacceptable. Schools should be a place where children are encouraged to stand up for what they believe instead of hiding from it.

That teacher should be ashamed of herself. All I can say is thank GOD my kid isn't in her class.

Do you think Erin should have been allowed to write about her true idol?

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsLadyDae
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:33 AM
6 moms liked this

UPDATED RESPONSE FROM SHELBY COUNTY SCHOOLS ON 9/12:

“Shelby County Schools respects the moral and religious beliefs of all students and families. While teachers and staff are not permitted to promote religion in the classroom, no laws or district policies allow teachers to limit students’ expression of religious beliefs in their personal classwork. This was a regrettable misunderstanding, and we as educators must learn from it. The principal and teacher have had a positive and productive conversation with the family, and we are pleased this matter is being addressed at the school level. The district will not be discussing this matter further in the media.”

http://wreg.com/2013/09/11/mother-angry-daughter-wasnt-allowed-to-write-about-god/?hpt=us_bn8

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:46 AM
3 moms liked this
I would need to know more about the assignment. Was part of the point a research component, where the students needed to look up biographical information? My daughter had a similar assignment last year. If that was the case, I can see how God would be a problematic subject.

Of course, now this lady is "that mom" for running to the media instead of just talking to the teacher. SMH
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:50 AM
7 moms liked this

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I would need to know more about the assignment. Was part of the point a research component, where the students needed to look up biographical information? My daughter had a similar assignment last year. If that was the case, I can see how God would be a problematic subject.

Of course, now this lady is "that mom" for running to the media instead of just talking to the teacher. SMH

Can't you look up God in the Bible?

::runs out of the thread::

candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM
5 moms liked this

P. C. run amok.

Kind of gives even  more credibility to this post.

Public Schools Are 'Anti-God Indoctrination Camps' Claims Liberty Counsel

Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:15 AM
5 moms liked this
Yeah, except for no...it doesn't. The teacher was wrong in her interpretation of god in school, the school took action, and it's been resolved. So now you can move along to the next piece of hysteria about religious freedom being trampled. Better hurry, the war on Christmas starts in 3, 2, 1.....

Quoting candlegal:

P. C. run amok.

MagicTemptation
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:21 AM
2 moms liked this
If the situation was resolved and it was a simple error of the teacher misinterpreting the school rules on expression on religious beliefs. Why are we trying to make this a debate? Why should the teacher be ashamed for following what she interpreted to be the rule of separate of school and religion? The school and parents worked it out. Simple error and a media outcry. SMH.
RandRMomma
by Maya on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Those poor persecuted Christians!

Quoting candlegal:

P. C. run amok.

SuzCahn
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

That's good. Thanks for posting the update.

Quoting MrsLadyDae:

UPDATED RESPONSE FROM SHELBY COUNTY SCHOOLS ON 9/12:

“Shelby County Schools respects the moral and religious beliefs of all students and families. While teachers and staff are not permitted to promote religion in the classroom, no laws or district policies allow teachers to limit students’ expression of religious beliefs in their personal classwork. This was a regrettable misunderstanding, and we as educators must learn from it. The principal and teacher have had a positive and productive conversation with the family, and we are pleased this matter is being addressed at the school level. The district will not be discussing this matter further in the media.”

http://wreg.com/2013/09/11/mother-angry-daughter-wasnt-allowed-to-write-about-god/?hpt=us_bn8

romalove
by Roma on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:37 AM
8 moms liked this

Quoting candlegal:

P. C. run amok.

Nothing could give credibility to that crock of crap that you buy into.

Nothing.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:46 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting romalove:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Can't you look up God in the Bible?

::runs out of the thread::

Maybe...but you can't find his DOB, place of birth, interests, or where he went to school. ;-)  Plus, that wouldn't give the students any practice researching on the internet. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN