Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Serious blow for gun control advocates?

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:27 PM
  • 151 Replies
4 moms liked this

I was sitting here discussing the shooting in DC with my husband.  How is it that a man that has had 2 firearm run ins with the law and a general discharge manage to get a gun on a military base in a city with some of the strictest control laws in the country? 

Numerous laws already on the books could not stop him.  What makes anyone think more laws would have?

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashellbell
by shellbark on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:31 PM
15 moms liked this
We should just do away with laws altogether. People are just gonna break the law so why bother? Right?
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:32 PM
3 moms liked this
The conservatives strike again

Advancing a political platform or a gun loving tantrum before the bodies are even cold

Do you know how he got his gun? Was it legal? Do you care? Or are you here to just say see, I'm right and you are wrong?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:40 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting ashellbell:

We should just do away with laws altogether. People are just gonna break the law so why bother? Right?

I am just wondering why we just don't start inforcing the laws we already have.  I didn't say anything about scrapping them.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:42 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

The conservatives strike again

Advancing a political platform or a gun loving tantrum before the bodies are even cold

Do you know how he got his gun? Was it legal? Do you care? Or are you here to just say see, I'm right and you are wrong?

Sorry to burst your bubble sweet.  The libs were on it long before my hubby got home from work.

So, are you against inforcing existing laws as ashellbell seems to be?  If so, what is the point of adding new ones?

candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Because that would make sense

Quoting yourspecialkid:
Quoting ashellbell:

I am just wondering why we just don't start inforcing the laws we already have.  I didn't say anything about scrapping them.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:44 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't find it to be a blow for gun advocates (btw, I'm all for gun rights), I just don't get how people can apply the whole "we don't need stricter gun laws because it's not going to stop people from using them" mentality. It seems most who hold that mindset only hold it for gun laws.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting ashellbell:

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this
What does a "general discharge" have anything to do with anything?
ashellbell
by shellbark on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Did he come in to possession of those guns illegally? Didn't he live in Texas? If he purchased them there, what laws weren't being enforced?

Quoting candlegal:

Because that would make sense

Quoting yourspecialkid:
Quoting ashellbell:

katy_kay08
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

maybe the laws could have prevented him from having them in the first place.  80% of the mass shootings are committed with legally obtained guns.  Clearly something needs to change to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill.  

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:49 PM
2 moms liked this

No, the Supreme Court struck down most of them in 2008.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)