Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Man Tells His 6-Year-Old Son to Lie About Shooting His Little Sister

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:08 AM
  • 9 Replies
Fred Maphis, a resident of Wisconsin, is facing misdemeanor charges of leaving a loaded firearm near a minor and obstructing an officer.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

A father in Wisconsin is being accused of telling his 6-year-old son to lie to authorities to cover up the real nature of a gun incident, the Jackson County Chronicle reports. Law enforcement says the father, named Fred Maphis, was negligent when he left a loaded firearm out, which his son ended up using on his sister.

In August, Jackson County police were called to the Maphis home. Maphis’ four-year-old had been struck on the side of her head by a shotgun. Maphis’ son, who fired the gun, then told police that the gun went off accidentally after he dropped it. But Maphis’ son later admitted that his father told him to lie because he had pointed the gun at his sister and shot her. His son said his sister told him to point the gun at her.

The boy has been shooting guns since he was three years old, according to his mother. But he only shoots guns with parental supervision.

Maphis is facing misdemeanor charges of leaving a loaded firearm near a minor and obstructing an officer, according to the newspaper.

Alex Kane is AlterNet's New York-based World editor, and an assistant editor for Mondoweiss. Follow him on Twitter @alexbkane.

by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Sep. 18, 2013 at 3:51 AM

boy there are some numnut parents out there.  "hes been shooting since he was 3yo"  like that is a pass for being able to comprehend the dangers of a gun.

dumbasses

dawnnamarie
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 3:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Was the girl ok?? It never really said.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 6:02 AM
2 moms liked this
Some parents on this board say they let their 6 year old shoot semi auto assault rifles

I think parents like this should be monitored closely or lose their children altogether ..they obviously cannot make sound safety decisions and could harm others
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Oh goodie, guns and lies,too. How many more cases like this will we have to read about? These people are clearly morons with no values. They own guns to protect themselves and their families but their families are the victims of their own guns bought for protection!And then he lies!

Am I imagining or does the state of Wisconsin feature too many of these morons and their "accidental " shootings? Macho men...no brains. Maybe I'm wrong and there are too many everywhere. Yup.

lga1965
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Some parents on this board say they let their 6 year old shoot semi auto assault rifles

I think parents like this should be monitored closely or lose their children altogether ..they obviously cannot make sound safety decisions and could harm others

I know what you mean. It is frightening.They say their little elementary school age kids "know how to handle guns". It makes me cry...a small child holding a gun?It seems obscene...and shows poor judgement. This is what is wrong with America.The Gun Culture.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM
2 moms liked this
guns don't kill people, toddlers kill people.
angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Click the link where it says Jackson county chronicle and it says she had non life threatening injuries. I hope they will not be this stupid in the future or someone will get killed!

Quoting dawnnamarie:

Was the girl ok?? It never really said.

LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Just because they shoot doesn't mean they need to be left alone with a gun. My kids shoot a lot, they are the kids are firearms instructors so it's just a normal part of life. At 5 & 7 they can break down and clean what they shoot. HOWEVER we still use our safe and they are never allowed access to a gun other than on the range. Stupid parents should be tried to the fullest extent of the law. Good training and good safes are cheap compared to the life of a child. Be responsible or be made an example!

Fushithedruid
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Quoting turtle68:

boy there are some numnut parents out there.  "hes been shooting since he was 3yo"  like that is a pass for being able to comprehend the dangers of a gun.

dumbasses

no just no. i am not that irrisponsible. yes i am teaching my kids (4 and 7) the basics of gun safety and care, but my 4 yr old isn't allowed to touch any of our guns. my 7 yr old, we are teaching him how to fire a rifle, not a semi - auto, but a small .22 rifle. (he may be tall, but he's pretty thin. like most men in my family, lol.) its common sense, and basic gun safety. don't leave a loaded gun (no matter the type/caliber) near children without parent supervision!! tho its apparent that these "parents" aren't too bright, seriously, telling your 6yr old to lie to the police? yea, parent of the year award right there. sheesh

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)