Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Bishop Thomas Tobin Comments On The Pope

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:08 AM
  • 25 Replies

http://www.religionnews.com/2013/09/13/quote-day-bishop-thomas-tobin-providence-r/

– Bishop Thomas Tobin on Providence, R.I., speaking about Pope Francis in his diocesan newspaper.

^^^^  I am putting this quote up here for discussion.

We have discussed the new Pope many times since his ascension.  So I ask you, particularly Catholics but everyone, is this Bishop alone in his thoughts?  Should the new Pope be expected to have addressed this immediately?  Has this been discussed in your own parishes?

Do you think his silence on the topic means anything, or do you think he just hasn't gotten around to making statements about this topic yet?

by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Della529
by Matlock on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I haven't thought much about it, but I'm not a practicing Catholic.

SuzCahn
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I'm not Catholic. Let me just get that out of the way.

Don't we already know where the CC stands on those topics? I don't see why the Pope needs to address it from the get go. I can't imagine he would come out saying 'now that I'm Pope abortion is no longer a sin'. kwim?

romalove
by Roma on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SuzCahn:

Don't we already know where the CC stands on those topics? I don't see why the Pope needs to address it from the get go. I can't imagine he would come out saying 'now that I'm Pope abortion is no longer a sin'. kwim?

I think the concern by the Bishop isn't that he would come out and say that but that he didn't reaffirm how very sinful Catholics believe abortion is.

Della529
by Matlock on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM

No, that's not the expectation *at least not for me*.  The Pope, in a sense, is similar to the leader of a country.  The constituents generally wish to hear at least a simple aspect of their particular views.

And he's been in this position since March :)

Quoting SuzCahn:

candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM
2 moms liked this

I think he is a pretty busy Pope and I know one of his priorities was WYD and from all I have heard and read that was a very impressive week with millions of young people from all over the world showing up.

He probably knows that faithful Catholics know the Church's stance on abortion

candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM
2 moms liked this

I am Catholic and I agree. 

Quoting SuzCahn:

EngMama
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I think everyone knows where the church stands on abortion, I don't see it as a big deal that he hasn't said anything about it but I'm not catholic.
SuzCahn
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

God doesn't change. Do they really need to keep being reminded every few months? That's how I look at it.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting SuzCahn:

I think the concern by the Bishop isn't that he would come out and say that but that he didn't reaffirm how very sinful Catholics believe abortion is.

ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe the Pope thought it would be redundant to comment on something that is already common knowledge?

romalove
by Roma on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Quoting ms-superwoman:

Maybe the Pope thought it would be redundant to comment on something that is already common knowledge?

I put this out there because his own Bishop is the one questioning, not me, lol.  I wouldn't have given it any thought.

But he has made some other statements that one would also think are "obvious".  Maybe this Bishop wants a strong statement since the Pope is new.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)