Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pennsylvania High School Loses ALL Common Sense

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:32 AM
  • 147 Replies
1 mom liked this

Student suspended for 10 days for accidentally bringing pocket knife to football game, attorney says

A Pennsylvania high school student has been suspended for what his attorney calls “doing the right thing” – handing in a pocket knife that he accidentally brought to a football game. David Schaffner III, 16, was cutting branches near his hunting tree stand behind his home in Fox Chapel on Friday before he went to his school’s football game, his father, David, told CBS Pittsburgh.

Schaffner's attorney, Phil Dilucente, said Schaffner forgot he had the pocket knife on him and turned it in to a security guard at the game, Triblive.com reports. Schaffner was asked to leave the game and on Monday was handed a 10-day out-of-school suspension by the Fox Chapel Area school district. The district’s parent-student handbook says students who bring weapons to school or school-related events – including knifes and firearms – can be expelled for a year, Triblive.com reports.

District spokeswoman Bonnie Berzonski would not comment on the suspension, citing privacy concerns, but said the superintendant can change the sanctions on a case-by-case basis. Dilucente said he has been in discussions with school officials to shorten the suspension.

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Blue.Waters
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:42 AM
9 moms liked this

That is beyond ridiculous. It wasn't like he got caught with the knife. He realized he had it with him and voluntarily turned it in. I understand zero tolerance, but I also think some things should be handled on a case by case basis. 

SuzCahn
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:44 AM
5 moms liked this

No common sense is right! Our public schools are really out of control, run by people that can't see the forest for the trees. DUMB!

I hope someone with a little common sense will step up and realize how wrong they were. And furthermore, that security guard could have just said thank you and kept his mouth shut. He lacks the common sense needed to do that job, imo.

I think the "rules are rules" statement, so often used, is a load of crap too.

rfurlongg
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:45 AM
2 moms liked this
It appears from this article the school over reacted. I wonder what the other side has to say. Every story has two sides.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Why did the parents have to run to the media?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:53 AM

That's a good question.  

Quoting coolmommy2x:

prommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:53 AM
7 moms liked this

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Maybe because their son was treated unjustly and they want people to get behind him and show support so the school would notice. Many voices are heard more clearly than 1.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:56 AM
2 moms liked this
I ask it all the time. Why do people think every little thing that happens is newsworthy?

Quoting momtoscott:

That's a good question.  

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:00 AM
2 moms liked this
This just isn't newsworthy to me.

Quoting prommy:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Maybe because their son was treated unjustly and they want people to get behind him and show support so the school would notice. Many voices are heard more clearly than 1.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Della529
by Matlock on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:00 AM
3 moms liked this

SMH

Zero tolerance policies are as bad as mandatory minumum sentencing.

prommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:00 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting SuzCahn:

No common sense is right! Our public schools are really out of control, run by people that can't see the forest for the trees. DUMB!

I hope someone with a little common sense will step up and realize how wrong they were. And furthermore, that security guard could have just said thank you and kept his mouth shut. He lacks the common sense needed to do that job, imo.

I think the "rules are rules" statement, so often used, is a load of crap too.

The school could have used this as an opportunity to pat this kid on the back for being honest. I agree that people who blindly follow rules because rules are rules need to wake up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN