Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What would you do if you found a $6.3 Million lottery ticket?

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:58 AM
  • 31 Replies

Man Finds Winning $6.3 Million Lottery Ticket & Does the Unthinkable With It

by Rebecca Stokes

moneyTalk about a good deed. Manuel Rieja González found a winning lottery ticket for $6.3 million and, rather than cashing it himself, he turned it over to the authorities. Because very few people around are as decent as González, one fake has already come forward and tried to claim the winnings.

The authorities will hold on to the ticket for two years. If, in that time, the real owner doesn't come forward, the lucky do-gooder González will be allowed to collect the winnings. González happens to sell lottery tickets for a living -- which makes this story even quirkier. 

Even if the real owner comes forward and González doesn't receive the winnings, in my mind he's due at least a reward. I consider myself to be a reasonably ethical person. That said, I don't think I would have been able to turn over that ticket to the cops. I mean, I have no issue picking up and pocketing dollar bills when I spot them on the street. This is the same thing only on a much bigger scale, right?

I would never keep a wallet I found on the street or anything, but like most people, a little guilt-free cash would be a tough temptation for me to walk away from. I don't think I'm alone in my thinking. This guy's good deed went above and beyond the norm. All the more reason for him to be rewarded.

Do you think you would have returned the lottery ticket?

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:00 AM
3 moms liked this

Yes I probably would. I found a bank envelope at a park one time with 800.00 in it, turned it over. 6 mos later I got a call from the police station that the owner had come forward and wanted to meet me. She gave me 100.00 for turning in it. It was her rent money

meriana
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

The owner has two years in which to prove ownership? I know next to nothing about the lotteries but I didn't think the time frame to claim winnings was that long.

While I would and do turn in things found, a lottery ticket presents a difficult picture. If it is signed on the back, then the probability of finding the owner does exist and it should be turned in. However if it's not signed, the probability of locating the purchaser is almost nil. Just looking at a lottery ticket Dh recently purchased, there is nothing identifing on it at all. The only thing that in any way could be considered identifiable is the Terminal number which is not something people would generally know. Even if they did, I really don't see how the vendor would be able to tell which customer purchased which ticket especially if they had more than one register going at a time so how would one be able to prove themselves the original purchaser or if someone gave them the ticket, how would they be able to prove it was that ticket? Lots of questions there and to be honest, I think most don't know what they'd do.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:46 AM
If I found a ticket, I would automatically assume it was a loser. I wouldn't know how to check it anyway. Not much of a gambler. I guess in this case, I'd be out some dough, but I'd never realize it, so it wouldn't matter.
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Two years? Will he even be able to get the money by that time? 

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I hope he gets the money. 

SyllabaryBisque
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I'm awful. Nope, I'm pretty sure I would keep it. If I found a wad of cash, I would turn it in, because someone might be put in a bind by losing that money. They never had the lottery money to begin with and had the spare funds to gamble with. 

I'm going to hell... *hangs head in shame*

kaylamom2004
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:31 PM
2 moms liked this

How would you know who originally bought it? That makes no sense.

I'd cash that fucker in!

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Most states give a year to claim lottery winnings...maybe some states give two?

Quoting AllofFive19:

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:34 PM
4 moms liked this
I plead the fifth on this one...
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Possibly. I still think they're being completely over excessive by making him wait two. Even 60 days would be more than sufficient.

Quoting stringtheory:

Most states give a year to claim lottery winnings...maybe some states give two?

Quoting AllofFive19:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN