Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

32% of Americans Think the Syrian Crisis is Part of ‘End Times’

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM
  • 49 Replies

The controversy involving Syria has 32% of Americans thinking that it’s all part of the “end times” as told in the Bible.

32%!

third of Americans seem to think there will be a Left Behind novel written about Syria.

More specifically, 26% of Americans think that the Syrian conflict is foreshadowing Armageddon.

This is all according to Christian pollsters LifeWay Research:

Previous U.S. military action, like the war in Afghanistan or air strikes during 1990s war in Bosnia, didn’t get the same reaction, said [LifeWay Research President Ed] Stetzer. But the fact that Syria shares a border with Israel, and is specifically mentioned in the Bible, has people thinking about the end times.

Most premillennial dispensationalists believe Christians will instantly disappear from the earth during an event called the rapture, followed by seven years of war and catastrophe. After the battle of Armageddon, Jesus will return and set up his kingdom on earth.

third of Americans buy into that bullshit.

If you looked at the demographics of those results, the stereotypes were in full force: Poor people and Southerners were far more likely to believe this nonsense than rich people and Northerners (not that their numbers are anything to brag about):

Those in the South (40 percent) and with household incomes under $25,000 (41 percent are more likely to see Syria’s woes in the Bible. Those in the Northeast (24 percent) or with incomes over $75,000 (20 percent) are more skeptical.

I’m so embarrassed for mankind right now…

More demographic breakdowns:

Women (36 percent) are more likely than men (28 percent) to see a link between current events in Syria and the Bible.

Those who attend worship once or twice a month are more likely to see a tie between Syria’s trouble and the book of Revelation (51 percent agree), as are evangelical, born again, and fundamentalist Christians (58 percent agree.)

Fewer of those who rarely (25 percent) or never attend (14 percent) agree.

Older Americans are more likely to think U.S. airstrikes could lead to the battle of Armageddon, with 34 percent of those over 65 agreeing. Only 21 percent of those 18 to 29 agree.

Millennials shouldn’t pat themselves on the back yet, though. Check out how many young people think the world will end in their lifetime:

Younger Americans, however, are more likely to think the world would end in their lifetime. Twenty-four percent of those 18 to 29 agree, as opposed to only 15 percent of those over 65.

About a third (32%) of evangelical, born-again, fundamentalist Christians believe the world will end in their lifetime.

Remember this guy?

quarter of Millennials think he was on the right track!

You know what? If you live outside of America, you should seriously send all of us atheists here amazing Solstice presents because we have to deal with these people on a daily basis.

The poll was conducted via a phone survey of 1,001 Americans earlier this month. No word on what the margin of error was.

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joyfree
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Not holding my breath on this one.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

That's scary.

lga1965
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:48 PM

oh my.......

going crazy

Liz132
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM
3 moms liked this

If something happens and we actually end up striking Syria I think it's going to start a major war

IhartU
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Of course they do because they're religious freaks who'd rather live in bizarro land than in reality.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

That is a surprisingly high percentage to me. 

***shakes head***

rfurlongg
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM

How does the % correlate with evangelicals? Just curious, does anyone know?

AlekD
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

The Bible says that the end could come at any time and without warning. So, technically, me getting a cup of coffee this morning could well be a part of the "end times."

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM
2 moms liked this

If you are not Christian or believe in the Bible, who cares?  What is it to you?  Why would be scary to you?

Biblical prophecy says Israel will be attacked by Russia and China, so I can see where this would make Christians pay attention.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM
I'm surprised by the percentage too. Nobody I know thinks that, I would think with that percentage at least one of my family or friends would say it.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

That is a surprisingly high percentage to me. 

***shakes head***

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)