Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Does your carseat have a chest clip?

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 6:48 PM
  • 33 Replies

http://5pointplus.com/no-wonder-chest-clips-on-car-seats-are-illegal/

I had one of the best car seats available for my daughter. It had a chest-clip. So did my son's. How scary now that I think about it. If we would have had an accident, it would not have saved their lives but would have assisted in a way of harming or potentially killing them. . .

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lhiannan
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 6:52 PM

:-/  I think all infant seats in the US have them.  My son's full booster seat/car seat does, also, though we only use it with a seat belt as a booster now that he's 6.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Crap, so the chest plate is dangerous?  I still have two who use them, and we have really nice car seats!!

I don't think i have seen one that didn't have one.  So is it safer to just use the seatbelt with the carseat?

jakesmom323
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Can't win. But I'm sure every high school drop out will explain their professional opinion.
LokisMama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I've never had a car seat that didn't have a chest clip! Both of my kids infant carseats and their convertables that we used rear and front facing had chest clips. 

Hmm.

Celtic_Dragon
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:12 PM

No, that's what the website is showing is that there is an alternative. Chest clips are illegal in Europe because of the trauma it can cause. This product is designed to help keep the children secured into their seats without them slipping off the chest belts but it doesn't have a hard, plastic clip that can cause internal injury.

Quoting tooptimistic:

Crap, so the chest plate is dangerous?  I still have two who use them, and we have really nice car seats!!

I don't think i have seen one that didn't have one.  So is it safer to just use the seatbelt with the carseat?

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Yes. American car seats are not made the same as in other countries... I've heard European seats don't have the chest clip because the belts are closer together behind the shoulders so it isn't needed... I dunno if that's true. I don't know if I believe chest clips are unsafe though... Without them you risk your child flying out. I do believe that just like seat belts, chest clips and other parts of the car seat COULD injur your child(especially if the seat isn't used properly). I definitely will not be going without using a chest clip until the car seat makers begin testing without them and find the seats capable of protecting kids without it. I can't understand why they would put them on the seat if it was dangerous... They don't cost much, so I know it isn't about profit. The only way I could even see one injuring or causing the death of a child is if it is placed too high or too low(but then the straps would also likely have to be used wrong), or if someone couldn't get the baby out of the seat in time to save them from fire or drowning.
Celtic_Dragon
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:19 PM

In the USA and Canada, the chest clip is used as a pre-crash positioner but not only is it ineffective it also introduces new risks due to creating dangerous localised loads in the thoracic region even when used correctly. For more information on risks please read Viano and King’s paper on Biomechanics of Chest and Abdomen Impact

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

Yes. American car seats are not made the same as in other countries... I've heard European seats don't have the chest clip because the belts are closer together behind the shoulders so it isn't needed... I dunno if that's true. I don't know if I believe chest clips are unsafe though... Without them you risk your child flying out. I do believe that just like seat belts, chest clips and other parts of the car seat COULD injur your child(especially if the seat isn't used properly). I definitely will not be going without using a chest clip until the car seat makers begin testing without them and find the seats capable of protecting kids without it. I can't understand why they would put them on the seat if it was dangerous... They don't cost much, so I know it isn't about profit. The only way I could even see one injuring or causing the death of a child is if it is placed too high or too low(but then the straps would also likely have to be used wrong), or if someone couldn't get the baby out of the seat in time to save them from fire or drowning.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:21 PM
In order to be legal, all car seats in the us have chest clips. I don't know where this article is from, but car seats without chest clips are illegal here.
Celtic_Dragon
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Quoting kailu1835:

In order to be legal, all car seats in the us have chest clips. I don't know where this article is from, but car seats without chest clips are illegal here.

This is from Europe. Chest clips are illegal there because of the internal damage they cause in an accident. They have redesigned and are continuing to redesign the car seat to make it more effective. We have not made any significant safety changes to American car seats in years. I think it's time we take what research has been done in Europe and do some redesigning as well. If the clip can cause damage, than it is not safe. It defeats the purpose of it being there. "In the USA and Canada, the chest clip is used as a pre-crash positioner but not only is it ineffective it also introduces new risks due to creating dangerous localised loads in the thoracic region even when used correctly. For more information on risks please read Viano and King’s paper on Biomechanics of Chest and Abdomen Impact"
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:27 PM
I just bought a brand new seat (expecting and my DD hasn't been in a carseat in many years) and there was no option other than seats with chest clips? Maybe if I had gone online and ordered from overseas, but that sure didn't occur to me. Would the US laws cover me if I had one that doesn't, anyone know?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN