Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Police chief gets termination notice after anti-liberal rants, firing weapons on video

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 5:56 AM
  • 12 Replies

Police chief gets termination notice after anti-liberal rants, firing weapons on video

By David Simpson, CNN
updated 5:42 AM EDT, Fri September 20, 2013

Watch this video

Police chief: 'No regrets' on gun video

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Mark Kessler blasted gun control supporters while firing weapons on YouTube
  • Gilberton, Pennsylvania, town council voted 6-1 to terminate Kessler, pending appeal
  • Kessler's attorney says he will request public hearing
  • Earlier council meeting drew thousands of his supporters to Gilberton, population 750

(CNN) -- Mark Kessler, the small-town Pennsylvania police chief who posted videos of himself firing automatic weapons while cursing about gun control, has been given a termination notice.

The borough council of Gilberton, population 750, voted 6-1 to fire him at a meeting Thursday night, said council chairman Daniel J. Malloy.

Kessler was suspended July 31 at a council meeting that drew thousands of his supporters, including some openly armed, to the small town in Schuylkill County in eastern Pennsylvania

Police chief's pro-gun video goes viral

He will remain on suspension for 10 days to give him time to appeal, Malloy said. He would not comment further.

"We knew it was coming," Kessler said after the vote, CNN affiliate WFMZ-TV reported.

Kessler's attorney, Joseph Nahas, said he will request a public hearing next week, the affiliate reported.

The council accused Kessler of misusing borough property, neglecting his duties and failing to turn over weapons to the borough, his lawyer said.

But Kessler said the firing is "because of my videos."

In the videos, he rails against liberals for attempting to curb gun rights and Secretary of State John Kerry for supporting an arms treaty. At one point in a video, he dares Kerry to come and take his guns.

CNN's Kevin Conlon contributed to this report.

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 5:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:02 AM

but the idiot is 

Gilberton police chief Kessler running for sheriff

• Gilberton Police Chief Mark Kessler talks to the media before his supporters rally in front of a "Fire Kessler" billboard, erected by the Coalition To Stop Gun Violence, near Route 61, North of Frackville on Saturday, August 24, 2013.
Gilberton Police Chief Mark Kessler talks to the media before his supporters… (CHRIS KNIGHT / SPECIAL TO…)
September 12, 2013|By John E. Usalis, Of the Pottsville Republican Herald

FRACKVILLE — A new hat has been thrown into the ring for the election of Schuylkill County sheriff with Mark Kessler declaring himself a write-in candidate for the office.

The embattled police chief of Gilberton, Kessler announced his candidacy on his "Chief Mark Kessler" Facebook page and his website at http://www.chiefkessler.com. Kessler is running as an independent against incumbent Sheriff Joseph G. Groody, a democrat, and republican challenger Patrick Reynolds in the Nov. 5 general election.

A Frackville resident, Kessler said in a phone interview that he had been considering running for sheriff for some time.

"I've been kicking it around for a long time," Kessler said. "Actually, I switched from Republican to independent some time ago. I had picked up a petition to get the 520 or so signatures to run as an independent, but I was pressured by the Republican elites not to and to switch back to Republican, and you know my answer to that was 'No.' I don't need their permission to run. The party don't own this boy."

Kessler said the request to switch back to Republican came from Reynolds, who confirmed that he made the request shortly after the May primary election.

"When he switched over to independent, I did try to get him to switch back to Republican," Reynolds said.

"That's his individual choice. Other than that, I've had no contact with him since just after the primary. That's the last time I spoke with him."

As for Kessler's run for sheriff, Reynolds had no comment other than "I wish him the best of luck."

Groody, who is out of state, could not be reached for comment.

Kessler said he had been a Republican for many years, mainly for the ability to vote in primary elections, but adding that he voted for the candidate, not for the party.

"I feel right at home being an independent right now," he said.

Kessler knows that running as a write-in candidate is an uphill battle.

"It's going to be a tough run," Kessler said. "I probably have a popularity vote, but since my name isn't on the ballot, it's going to be tough. It will be a miracle if I win, but I'll give it a shot. It will let me get my message out. Maybe the people of Schuylkill County will elect me as sheriff, but I'll throw my name into the ring and see what happens. I'll try my best."

Kessler said he has much support in the area and around the country in his bid for sheriff.

"I'm not asking for any money. I just want to do it by word of mouth and boots on the ground," Kessler said.

"I'm just asking for people to write me in on Nov. 5. I think it's time for a change all the way around, not just for sheriff. I don't believe you need permission from the Democrats or the Republicans to run on a ticket."

Kessler faces an uncertain future as Gilberton's police chief. On July 31, Gilberton Borough Council suspended Kessler without pay for 30 days on the grounds he used borough weapons without permission while off-duty in YouTube videos in support of Second Amendment rights and in opposition to gun control advocates at national and international levels.

On Aug. 30, the final day of the suspension, a disciplinary hearing was scheduled in the morning, but it was cancelled due to a scheduling conflict involving Kessler's attorney, Joseph Nahas of Frackville. That same evening, the borough council held a special meeting and, since the hearing was not held, the council extended the suspension indefinitely.

On Thursday, Sept. 19, a closed-to-the-public disciplinary hearing will be held at 10 a.m. in the borough municipal building for Kessler to present his side involving his actions and the suspension. Kessler will attend with his counsel, attorney Joseph Nahas, Frackville. Attorneys from Elliott Greenleaf and Dean, the law firm retained by borough council as special counsel in matters involving Kessler, will attend, as will Mayor Mary Lou Hannon. No borough council members are expected to be in attendance.

Kessler expects many of his supporters to come to Gilberton for a rally at 9 a.m.

"I expect a pretty decent turnout of supporters to show up, people who are constitutionally aware," Kessler said. "It won't be at borough hall, but a bit away from it. We don't expect any kind of trouble. For the most part, everybody was respectful and polite last time. There were some disagreements, but people were speaking to each other. We don't expect any kind of nonsense. I ask people to be respectful of each other on both sides of the aisle."

After the hearing, Nahas plans to speak with the news media outside of the municipal building.

"He plans to have a press conference after the kangaroo court," Kessler said.

IandLoveandYou
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I remember that, what a nut.

I'm glad he was fired. I would have felt scared, not protected by him as a police officer.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:29 AM

Just a sample from his FB page

Any questions as to who is destroying our country?
I have no caption for this.
Photo: I have no caption for this.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Exstream

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Photo: I have no caption for this.

momto3B
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Clearly someone who should have been DENIED a gun license. 

GLWerth
by Gina on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Good that he's been fired.

Of course, now there's a very good chance we'll see him in the news, as the perpetrator of a mass shooting. He seems, um, unhinged.

We need better mental health care in this country and he's an example of that.

It has nothing to do with his political views, but rather, how he chooses to express them.

lga1965
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this

That is so sick. The comments were criminally racist .

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

lga1965
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I have noticed that when Liberals
"attack" conservatives, it is far less nasty ....but nuts like this racist become just violent and evil when they attack "Liberals"..

emmy526
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:38 AM

i saw this article too

Foul-mouthed pro-gun Pennsylvania police chief loses his job

Mark Kessler / YouTube

Gilberton, Pa., Police Chief Mark Kessler in a YouTube video published July 15.

The Pennsylvania police chief who shot off his mouth and a machine gun in profanity-laced pro-gun videos lost his job Thursday night.

The Gilberton Borough Council voted to fire Mark Kessler, who'd already been suspended for posting over-the-top videos in which he ranted about the Second Amendment and liberals while spraying machine gun fire with borough-owned weapons.

Kessler told reporters outside the closed disciplinary hearing Thursday night that "I feel in my heart I'm doing the right thing," NBC Philadelphia reported.

"Yeah, I made some videos with some choice language, but that's my right," he said. "That's my freedom."

A few members of Kessler's "Constitution Security Force," a pro-gun group, showed up to support Kessler on Thursday, openly carrying assault-style weapons and handguns, NBC Philadelphia reported. Some got into an argument with an opponent.

Kessler was suspended in July for improper use of a state purchasing program, failing to submit required crime data and making derogatory comments about borough officials, said his lawyer, Joseph Nahas, who contended that the charges were trumped up to justify dismissing Kessler because of the videos.

The borough's lawyer wouldn't comment after the hearing, calling it a personnel matter.

Watch the top videos on NBCNews.com

Kessler has acknowledged that the videos are inflammatory, but he said they were designed to draw attention to what he views as an erosion of Second Amendment and other constitutional rights. He did promise to stop cursing, however.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:36 AM
improper use of a state purchasing program, failing to submit required crime data and making derogatory comments about borough officials

And lets not forget shooting himself in a bar
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)